running - hip pain - what do i do?

suzycreamcheese
suzycreamcheese Posts: 1,766 Member
edited September 26 in Fitness and Exercise
Last week I increased my distance too much too soon, and went from 8.5k which i was doing comfortably to thinking " hey, this is fine, im gonna run to the next village and back" which turned out to be 14.5k
my hip was hurting by the end though.
i had a weeks rest as i was on holiday, but yesterday i tried to run my normal 8.5k route but after about 5 or 6k my hip was starting to hurt again and i had to stop and stretch in the street and walk for 5 minutes or so, then i was able to continue running home and it was ok.
Today my hips feel so achey, i feel like an old woman.

Does anyone have any tips? My trainers arent old, or too new. Theyre kswiss tubes and usually very comfortable and cushioned.
I think i pronate slightly, but if i wear orthotics, the ball of my foot hurts. Im also a bit hypermobile.

Would compression tights help keep my hips in place?

have i damaged myself permanantly. Do i have to go back to the beginning and train up again.

I have a half marathon in october that im doing for charity so i cant give up running

Replies

• Enchantica
    Enchantica Posts: 117
    Bump

(sorry, can't help you - I've only just started running and suffered a little bit of hip discomfort myself recently so I'd be interested to follow this thread)
    Netty
  • FJMilner
    FJMilner Posts: 407
    same!! My hip doesn't really hurt but feels uncomfortable sometimes during a longer run!
  • chevy88grl
    chevy88grl Posts: 3,937 Member
    While it may just be muscle pain due to doing too much too fast, please be careful. I had hip pain and I kept pushing through it and ended up with bursitis AND a stress fracture in that hip. If your body hurts, don't push. Let it rest and heal. Trust me.
  • vwbug86
    vwbug86 Posts: 283 Member
    If the pain is really bad and continues I would suggest seeing a doctor about it. Although it just sounds like the muscles are really sore.
  • suzycreamcheese
    it doesnt feel like muscle pain, it feels like a pain in the joint
  • highrise
    highrise Posts: 147 Member
    My sympathies! I get this too, if I don't build up my distance gradually. Someone on here mentioned getting your gait checked if you suffer hip pain, and also make sure that your shoes support your gait. Hope you're feeling better today.
  • I would definately get it checked. Pain/ache means something is amiss, plus you dont want to aggrivate it more by continuing to run.

I would also get new shoes - depending on how often and how far you run, the geneeral guidance is to replace them about every 3/400 miles/6 months. I recently started to get achey knees. I replaced my shoes and the ache has pretty much gone now.

http://sportsmedicine.about.com/od/tipsandtricks/a/replaceshoes.htm

I would also recommend getting new shoes properly fitted if you haven't previously - this can also have a massive impact (literally) on your joints - important to have the right support in the right part of your foot etc as this can effect your hip joints too.
  • chevy88grl
    chevy88grl Posts: 3,937 Member
    From someone who battled (and still battles flare-ups) bursitis, please do not ignore it. Also, please.. do not continue to push it. I did and I ended up with a stress fracture because I chose to "work through the pain".

Go to the doctor and have it looked at, please.

BTW, had I taken time off when it first started bothering me - I likely would have healed within a few weeks vs the MONTHS it is taking to heal the bursitis AND stress fracture.
  • kaytedawg05
    kaytedawg05 Posts: 209
    Take time off running and take up another routine while you heal... try yoga/pilates & swimming. Id use some aleve for anti-inflammatory and stay off the high impacts for a while... Honestly i would consult your doctor.... or try to get a refferall for physical therapy and work with some pros who can really help you figure out what u did and teach you proper methods for healing up & how much time you should take off & what other things you can do.
  • hellen72
    hellen72 Posts: 144 Member
    If a week off has not fixed it then u should see a physio as it could be a biomechanics thing eg I had knee trouble due to weak glutes. If u don't fix the cause it will just keep comng back

My hubby had back trouble every run , started earlynon, changed shoes and was fine
  • suzycreamcheese
    ive made an appointment to see a physio next week. Hope this isnt gonna cost me a fortune, Itd probably take forever to be referred by my doctor
This discussion has been closed.