Replies

• Canelitas
    Canelitas Posts: 712
    Options
    I'm wondering if anyone has a success story with Diabetes? :flowerforyou:
  • musclebuilder
    musclebuilder Posts: 324 Member
    Options
    I wish I could tell you I personaly know of one but I dont. But they are definatly out there. diet and exercise are the key to over coming diabetes. I have been working out for years. My diet is strict and I know quite a bit about the human body. and you can definatly over come it. you can change your health around 360 degree's. Its about changing your whole life and life style. you will have to replace your daily food you eat for lean protein, natural carb sources, green fiberish veggi's, healthy fats. as well as start an exercise program. This might sound overwhelming and not what you want to hear but diabete's is no joke as you may very well know. I cant give you a success story about diabete's but I can give you some worst case scenereo's that I do know about first hand. change in life is very hard, but who cares. its ok to change, its ok to turn your life around so you are happier and healthier. I can give endless positive stories about how diet and exercise turned somebody's life around. You have to want it thou, it wont happen unless you are totally dedicated. I'm not sure about your income but my advice would be to find a fitness trainer, a good one. Start searching online researching proper diet. you have to eat totaly healthy. And start going for walks atleast 4 to 5 days a week. no excuses, dont wait around. eating healthy and going for walks you can do all by yourself. Dont look for a success story with diabete's. be your own success story to inspire and help others who struggle like you do.

feel free to email me any time at realdealguitars@yahoo.com

Regards,
    Sean.
  • lotusfromthemud
    lotusfromthemud Posts: 5,335 Member
    Options
    shorerider? Where are you?:flowerforyou:
  • Canelitas
    Options
    Thanks Sean, By the way, I noticed this was your first post....Welcome, :flowerforyou:
  • shorerider
    shorerider Posts: 3,817 Member
    Options
    Me!

Started April 1--A1C was 7.3, on 2 Metformin (500mgs each) and 2 Glimiparides a day and levels out of control. Doc was talking going to insulin as next step :noway:

Started on MFP, watching what I eat, exercising like crazy, and 4 months later, I'm down 55 pounds and almost off all diabetes meds!

My last A1C in July was 5.2!

Doc took me off Glimiparide and reduced my Metformin to 1 pill a day with permission to stop taking it when I felt ready.

I came off the Metformin 2 weeks ago--levels stayed great but gradually crept back up over vacation, so I took 1/2 pill a day for the last few days. BUT, I will be coming back off it again next week to try again.

Anyway, I'm thrilled, as coming off diabetes meds was one of my goals. My doctor is absolutely ecstatic!

I've got 80-some pounds left to lose to goal.
  • lotusfromthemud
    lotusfromthemud Posts: 5,335 Member
    Options
    Yay! There you are!:flowerforyou:
  • Canelitas
    Options
    ShoreRider, That is very inspiring...Thank You! I hope I can have the same success as you.

I started checking my blood on 08/14/2008, just once a day. at different times. Ihave a 6.6 hymiglobin (sp) count.
  • ladyhawk
    ladyhawk Posts: 101
    Options
    Me!

Started on MFP, watching what I eat, exercising like crazy, and 4 months later, I'm down 55 pounds and almost off all diabetes meds!

My last A1C in July was 5.2!

Anyway, I'm thrilled, as coming off diabetes meds was one of my goals. My doctor is absolutely ecstatic!

As a healthcare provider, I have to say your success is fascinating. These are the stories patients need to hear to know that inspite of our quick fix society, we can be successful with hard work and patience. Hats off to you lady:bigsmile:
  • mknipp
    mknipp Posts: 106
    Options
    You said it like it is, Sean! Diabetes is not easy to live with, I'm sure, but better than some other health problems I've heard of. It's in my family, and so far I've escaped, but have other problems that aren't fun to deal with (fibromyalgia, osteoporosis, osteoarthritis, old age....did I just say "old"??? Ha! Ha! I'm only sixty-three!

Losing weight has helped me with all of the above (even feeling old :smile: ). I love this Website. It has helped me every day since I joined July 1. Hope I never have to live without it!

Thanks for good advice, Sean.

ky-girl-...er...old lady?
  • mknipp
    mknipp Posts: 106
    Options
    Congratulations! YES! It DOES work!
    ky-girl....er...old lady
  • shorerider
    Options
    ShoreRider, That is very inspiring...Thank You! I hope I can have the same success as you.

I started checking my blood on 08/14/2008, just once a day. at different times. Ihave a 6.6 hymiglobin (sp) count.

Once a day isn't enough to really gain control of it--are you recently diagnosed? If so, you should check after every meal and after you try different foods until you get an idea of what spikes your levels and what doesn't. I was diagnosed about 6 years ago and for the first few months, my fingers looked like pin cushions.

Just don't let it get away from you--I did--I just conned myself into thinking if I popped more pills (and yes, I took more Glimiparide that I was supposed to at times. I learned I could use it like insulin when I wanted to eat stuff I wasn't supposed to). I stopped even trying to watch my food intake a couple years back--just got tired of the whole thing and ate what I wanted. Gained 40 pounds in 2 years. :sick:

My doc told me that the medical profession is so certain that most people lack the will power to control diabetes through food/exercise control that now doctors are trained to be aggressive with the meds from the very first diagnosis. She said it's not unusual now to immediately put people on 3 or more meds! :noway:

Anyway, it can be done! It just takes time, work, and the willingness to learn your body so you know what works and what doesn't. Yes, it is tiresome but worth it.

Right now, I'm having a terrible time with my levels. I started long distance bike riding and trying to eat enough to fuel my body for 50 mile rides and up isn't easy when I'm also trying to control my levels. I still haven't gotten the key to it yet but will soon! I haven't given up!

A 6.6 A1C isn't great but isn't horrible either. I'm sure you know that the goal is to get it under 6, so you've not got too far to go!

Hang in there!
  • shorerider
    Options
    As a healthcare provider, I have to say your success is fascinating. These are the stories patients need to hear to know that inspite of our quick fix society, we can be successful with hard work and patience. Hats off to you lady:bigsmile:

Thanks!
  • SimplyMissTonya
    Options
    Please read my profile page (about me section). I think most people can pretty much defeat Diabetes. It was a long year for me to escape the reality of Diabetes. With patience and a healthy diet and daily exercise, it can be done!
  • sindyb9
    sindyb9 Posts: 1,248 Member
    Options
    I was told in March that I have diabetes and the doctor gave me two months to loose some weight to see if it helped before he put me on Medication. It worked I am still not on medication and have to say feel a whole lot better. I still have to be careful and I am still a diabetic but with no meds and I plan on keeping it that way. :drinker: :drinker:
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!