Tweet Some Ate Oh's

Options
dywtd
dywtd Posts: 14 Member
My office has decided to eat lunch out en masse, and I find myself in a sour pickle.

I am kinda concerned that I will look freakish, furiously typing/sliding food data on my phone at the table, but I know how plates get overloaded, olives get overlooked, and soup bowls multiply if you don't keep track.

Is a buffet ever a good choice? When you eat at a salad buffet, what do you put on your plate(s)?

Replies

• wendix
    wendix Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    i tend to fill half my plate with lettuce/veg/things i KNOW are healthy. then fill nearly the rest of it with lean meats/egg/wholewheat pasta (other relatively healthy things) and then i allow myself one treat. don't overload your plate. try and not mix things together too much. for example, go up and get salad with chicken and then if u want to go up again get veg with an omelette or a pasta salad or something like that. drink lots of water and dont be phased by people going up more than you. the real advice i can give is just take your time while eating. and go easy on the dressing!

but, obviously, eating out can be viewed as a treat. i wouldn't stress TOO much since it's a one off occasion and you don't put on weight from one meal. so leave the phone and when you get home try and remember what you had. but don't fixate on it, just have a good time.
  • kirstinkrueger
    Options
    Pile on leafy greens For less than 20 calories per 2 cups, leafy greens like lettuce, spinach and mustard leaves, provide ample amounts of folic acid, and lutein, an antioxidant. Sop pile them high.

Load up on plain veggies
    At 25 calories or less per serving, take advantage and load them up on your plate. Vary your vegetable selection to vary the nutrients — you’ll get a healthy dose of vitamin C, potassium, folic acid, a variety of antioxidants, and fiber. Be sure to say clear of veggies that are fried or swimming in marinades, mayonnaise or sauce.

Popular salad bar items include:
    Peppers (red, green, yellow)
    Cucumbers
    Shredded carrots
    Onions
    Mushrooms
    Radish
    Broccoli
    Cauliflower

Add a few lean proteins
    Enjoy 1-2 hearty scoops of lean protein. Popular salad bar items include grilled chicken, hard boiled eggs (go for egg whites when available), shrimp, wild salmon, canned light tuna, low-fat cottage cheese, black beans, and chickpeas. Avoid anything fried, crispy, or served in heavy sauce.

And go easy on the dressing (or use lemon juice)
  • bgeer34
    bgeer34 Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    I would take my phone and just tell people what I am doing and if they don't like it too bad... it's your health, not theirs.. and each time you stop eating to enter food it slows you down a little more so that you don't end up eating too fast and filling up too many plates like your co-workers might do.

Personally I am going to have this same challenge at a VERY small buffet in the town I work in about 2 weeks from now. I haven't been to a buffet since mid December.. for me it is much like taking an alcoholic to a free bar... especially when I will be lucky to have any healthy choices on this buffet .... going to make my own dressing and take it too in case the salad is all I can have...

Good luck today :)
  • SpaceMarkus
    SpaceMarkus Posts: 651
    Options
    Let them know you're logging your food! They may be curious an want to join the site with you.

My piece of advice, dip your dressing. Rather than load it on your plate, dip your fork then spear your food. You'll lose a LOT less dressing but it still tastes great.
  • dywtd
    dywtd Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Thanks! Sounds like I will be aiming for spinach-city!

I really try to not use the phone at meals, but I am bad about it some times. I sort of wish I could take a measuring device to the line... "Excuse me while I weigh these butternut squash strips..."