protein

Options
I seem to always go way over in protein. Protein is in a lot of things that you don't really think it is in.

Replies

• rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,248 Member
    Options
    Protein is good. Don't worry about going over, especially since MFP's protein setting is really low. I would up your protein level to something more like .5 grams/pound of body weight.
  • isobel2010
    Options
    I"ve read in other posts that you can actually reset your protein to go as high as 100 instead of their low 45 or whatever. That is the ONE area it is great in which to be over! Just helps build muscle mass and keep you feeling full. Stick to the low proteins like low-fat cottage cheese and turkey, as opposed to peanut butter.
  • rachpiper720
    Options
    MFP tends to be on the low side for protein (and fat IMO). From what I have heard and seen on some of the same forums, it is good to keep your protein intake to 0.7 to 1 g per every pound of lean body mass that you have. So, if you weigh 200 lbs with 30% body fat, that means you have 140 lean body mass. Then your protein intake should be 98-140 g of protein a day. Plus, eating more protein helps you stay fuller longer.
  • fteale
    fteale Posts: 5,310 Member
    Options
    You don't put on muscle by eating protein. You have to put in the work too! If you eat more than you need you'll just metabolise the rest to fat.