Maybe eating too little? No weight loss after 31days

Options
Sigra
Sigra Posts: 374 Member
I've been thinking about my previous success with weight loss and were I am now. I'm wondering if maybe I'm eating too little - not the "I'm under 1200" but possibly not enough for my body as an individual?

Currently I'm moving anywhere between 196(SW) and 193(CW) it goes up..it goes down but it always stays between those numbers - for a month now!! Before coming to MFP, in September I downloaded an app to my iPhone called "Lose it!" - it does the same thing as MFP, gives you a calorie intake and after working out you also should be eating your calories back - then tells you how much you should lose in 5wks etc etc.

The only different with MFP and LI was:
*LI allowed me 1600+exercise and I had lost my first 10lbs in 1month (I since gained it back due to stress and not keeping up with my intake) - I was eating packaged stacks, lunches and breakfast to bring to work, but cooking my own dinner.
*MFP allows me 1200+exercise calories and I'm not losing - I am now eating healthy foods, and cooking/brining my own food!

Seeing that I've been working out the same amount with MFP and LI is it possible the 1200goal set for me is too low for my body to lose weight? :(

Replies

• ramseyrose
    ramseyrose Posts: 421 Member
    Options
    Why not customise your goals to 1600 and see how it goes for a week or so.
  • BaronessBlixen
    BaronessBlixen Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    I would customize your goals. MFP has my BMR at 1320. It suggested I take in 1300 calories a day. Yeah. Uh. Plus, I have a really fast metabolism and have to eat constantly throughout the day. I was ALWAYS hungry. I customized the settings and ended up with 1680 a day, and am much happier/am losing weight.
  • ♥♥YoungMrs♥♥
    Options
    Or go in between and maybe try 1400 and see if theres a change??
  • saymayusf
    Options
    I had the same problem when I started MFP. I had my goal set at 1200. I lost 1 pound in a few weeks. Then I increased to about 1500-1600 and I've lost 7 pounds in 2.5 weeks now. I was once told that anything below 1500 is not exactly the best way to go. So I say, go ahead and increase the goal. I bet it will speed up your metabolism and you'll see more weight loss. Good luck!
  • lisastrom
    lisastrom Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    Perhaps you should check your settings. How many pounds per week loss are you set at? When I weighed in the 190s I was given about 1400 calories before exercise to eat.
  • Sigra
    Options
    Awesome! I'm glad to hear I'm not the only one! I opted in to lose 2lbs per week, but I'll lower my goal to see if that helps me get to were I want to be - if it doesn't manually boost me up to 1400-1600cal/day then I'll manually in put it.

Will also read those articles - I read one of them before but it didn't seem to make much sense to me..
  • LoveleeB
    LoveleeB Posts: 560 Member
    Options
    You might be one to something. Everyone's bodies are different so I would try adjusting it to 1600 and see if that makes a difference. It takes some time to figure out what works. Also, once your body gets used to something then you need to mix it up for more progress.
  • Volleyballgal
    Volleyballgal Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Another tihng to do is increase your activity. At least that's what I've had to do just recently...and I've had to do it in the past. I've been hanging at the same spot since December. Granted we've had some family tragedy and I've been traveling a lot, so that may explain part of it. The good news, though, is I haven't gained anything. My nutritionist told me that a minimum of an hour of cardio everyday. Since I started my weight loss goals back on July 1, I have not even come close to that. But when I don't do anything for a week at a time and then get frustrated with the fact that I haven't lost anything, all I have to do is look at my exercise log, see that I haven't done anything, and it becomes very apparent why. I have found that I have to get at least 3-4 times a week of my cardio in or else I'm not losing anything. Good luck.
  • Sigra
    Options
    I moved it from 2lbs/wk to 1lb/wk and it now says I'm allowed 1,570 - Not quite 1600 which I'm ok with. I've gotten so used to eating 1200/day it will take some time getting used to eating 300more!

I am also going to try increasing my activity level - I just ordered P90X since I have lack of time to get in/out of the house on my work days. I ordered it yesterday morning, so I'm hoping it's here by Friday (Express delivery ftw) - between 1,570cal and 60min /5day workouts I hope this will get me on the fast track to weight loss!

Thank you guys so much :) You really helped me a lot in motivation and support!
  • Skolls081102
    Options
    First off, I am not a dietician or doctor...I am just giving you my opinion based on the information I can see in your diary. I looked back over a week of your diary, and I wouldnt say you are eating too little. 5 of 7 days you were actually over your calorie goal. and the 2 days you were under, you were too far under. I would say, eat your 1200 calories, plus your exercise calories, and get as close to that total without going over. Do that for a good 2 weeks and see what happens. It would seem that your eating too much (calorie wise). Also you could try eating more food with less calories and spreading it out throughout your day. Feel free to look at my diary. I eat alot of food, just spread out throughout the entire day. I hope this helps.

And remember, you are trying. Which is more than most people do. Be proud of that. It may take a little longer than you hoped, but you will figure out what works best for you. Keep up the great work!!!
  • getfitdiva
    getfitdiva Posts: 1,148 Member
    Options
    You are not the only one - I have yet to lose since weighing in April 2nd :ohwell: I've tried zig-zagging for 2 wks, now back to BMR calories. UGH I have no idea - I'll read the suggestions.
  • LilLolo22
    LilLolo22 Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    I haven't really been losing either and I've been watching my calories, sodium, fats, sugar, you name it. I just decided to up my calories from 1200 to 1350 by changing to lose 1 pound per week. We'll see if that makes a difference. =)
  • michelegrayson
    Options
    I think you should play with it and increase your calories to 1600. If you are already exerciing, pick it up (intervals, more intensity at whatever you are doing) and see what happens.

1200 seems very low too me as a starting point but I have a slow metabolizm (I had it tested) and it has dropped 300-400 points in the past 5 years because I lost my muscle mass! So, I'm lifting weights via P90x and am going to test it again in 3 months and see if anything changed.

Good luck!