Strength Training Routine

bbygrl5
bbygrl5 Posts: 964 Member
edited September 26 in Fitness and Exercise
Hey all you lifters! I've lifted weights for about a year and a half now, but as I'm getting close to my goal now, I would really like to step up my lifting routine and want some opinions.

I've done a lot of research, searching the forums here, online, and I'm currently reading a book and I'm still not getting enough of the info I'm looking for.

I want to know what you all do for your lifting routines on a weekly basis. I realize it could be a pain to write everything out, but you would really be helping me out a lot.

What I've been doing all along is fairly hefty lifting 2-3 days a week, with at least a 48 hour turn around between lifts. I've worked out all the major muscle groups, but on machines mostly. I haven't incorporated free weights. I also attended a power pump (body pump) class a week and a half ago that I enjoyed doing.

What's been your key to success with lifting? Where have you really seen the results? Do you split muscle groups on days? (upper, lower days or push, pull days) Do you use special techniques like drop setting? (a friend here explained that one to me).

Do you find machines or free weights to be the most helpful?

I know there are SO many theories when it comes to lifting and I don't want to turn this into a debate of any sort. I just want to hear any and all opinions on the matter. Anything I would think about incorporating, I plan on fully researching before I do so.

Replies

• brewingaz
    brewingaz Posts: 1,136 Member
    Bump for bbygrl5
  • RedneckWmn
    RedneckWmn Posts: 3,202 Member
    Bump!
  • andreamichelle82
    andreamichelle82 Posts: 324 Member
    bump :)
  • rnroadrunner
    rnroadrunner Posts: 402 Member
    bump
  • greeneyed84
    greeneyed84 Posts: 427 Member
    I would suggest free weights. Machines are not as effective. Circuit training does the trick for me although when i go to the gym without my kids i do the machines as well.
    Jillian Michaels for me
  • mymelody_78
    mymelody_78 Posts: 657 Member
    BUMP =)
  • alex215
    alex215 Posts: 518 Member
    that's good that you are looking to change up your routine. when you lift weights you always want to change it up every so often.

Currently i am lifting 3 days a week. Monday, Wednesday, and Friday on a 12 week program
    Week 1 - 5
    I lift as heavy as i can 3 sets of 6-8 reps
    Week 6-11
    3 sets of 10-12 reps. try to keep the weights just as heavy as you had it the 1st couple weeks.
    Week 12
    3 sets or 3 reps. ( this is just so you can see your progress and you will most likely be lifting alot heavier than you thought you could.)

I also log all my lifts in a work out journal. i track how much weight at each set. then the following week i try to start 5 to 10lbs heavier. this really helps you lift to your full potential.

this is how i split up my lifts.

Week 1-5 (3 sets of 6 to 8 reps) Week 6 - 11 (3 sets of 10 to 12reps) week 12 (3 sets of 3 reps)
    oh yeah and each set increase your weight as much as you can maybe by 5 to 10 lbs each set

Monday: Back/Biceps

Barbell bent over row
    Pull ups
    wide-grip pull downs
    upright row
    dumbbell rear delt flye
    seated cable row
    barbell shrug
    alternating dumbbell curl

Wednesday: Chest/ triceps

flat barbell Bench press
    incline dumbbell bench press
    dips
    dumbbell shoulder press
    dumbbell lateral raises
    flye ( with dumbbells of peck deck)
    tricep scull crushers
    tricep press down

Friday: Legs

Barbbell Squat
    dead lifts
    leg press
    leg curl
    leg extension
    standing calf raises
    seated calf raises.

It might seem like a lot but it really has worked great for me and i have seen great results in the first 6 weeks.
  • shanolap
    shanolap Posts: 1,204 Member
    Most gyms will give you a free (or nominal fee) session with a personal trainer. They will evaluate your goals and write a program for you. It's been suggested that you change your routine every 6 weeks to prevent your muscles from getting used to the workout.
  • JennLifts
    JennLifts Posts: 1,913 Member
    Warm up 5 minutes before, usually the elliptical. I rest probably 30sec between sets. Takes about 45-60 minutes. I go with free weights, except (obviously) for things requiring cables and such. In 2 weeks I'm switching to a 3 day split, and an added total body day. I see results fairly evenly honestly.

Day 1: Upper Body (mon/Wed)
    1. Seated one arm cable row with rotation 6-8 reps 4 sets
    2. dumbbell flye on flat bench 6-8 reps 4 sets
    3. Push/pull with cables 10-12 reps 4 sets
    4. cable rope pulls up to neck 10-12 reps 3 sets
    5. unilateral shoulder press 10-12 reps each 2 sets
    6. L-lateral raise 10-12 reps 2sets
    7. bent-over lateral dumbbell raise 10-12 reps 2 sets
    8. alternating dumbbell hammer curl 10-12 reps 3 sets
    9. High Pulley tricep extension with rope 10-12 reps 3 sets

Day 2: Lower Body (tue/Thurs)
    1. Deadlift 8-10 reps 3 sets
    2. Walking weighted lunges with rotation 20-22 reps 2 sets
    3. hamstring curl 10-12 reps 2 sets
    4. Weighted Lunges 8-10 reps 3 sets
    5. step up with hip flexion 20 each leg 2 sets
    6. Standing one leg calf raise 10-12 reps each 2 sets
    7. V sit with twist, weighted 30-35 2 sets
    8. Back Extension 25-30 reps 3 sets
    9. Slant board crunch with weight 25-30 reps 2 sets
    10. 10Min non stop abs. (normals planks, crunches, etc)

Day 3: Full Body (sat)
    1. push press 8-10 reps 4 sets
    2. squat 8-10 reps 4 sets
    3. push up 8-10 reps 4 sets
    4. deadlift 8-10 reps 4 sets
    5. back extension on stability ball 15-20 reps 2 sets
    6. alternating superman 20-25 reps 2 sets
    7. Plank hold 60 secs 3 sets
    8. wood chop 20-25 reps 3 sets to each direction
  • bbygrl5
    @alex215: Thank you for taking the time to type that out!! That's very helpful. I like the way you have your training days split up. :)

Also jennw10! I was afraid no one would want to take the time to type all this out. :)
  • JennLifts
    JennLifts Posts: 1,913 Member
    @alex215: Thank you for taking the time to type that out!! That's very helpful. I like the way you have your training days split up. :)

Also jennw10! I was afraid no one would want to take the time to type all this out. :)

Copy and Paste LOL!
  • morningmom
    morningmom Posts: 100
    Bumping.....:)
  • Woodman725
    Woodman725 Posts: 288 Member
    bump
  • bbygrl5
    My friends are awesome to bump this post!! Thank you to those who have shared advice and/or routines. I would definitely appreciate even more input... so in other words...

*shameless bump*
  • Huffdogg
    Huffdogg Posts: 1,934 Member
    I am going to go ahead and break the mold here and recommend things totally different than everyone else lol. I suggest that you look into some more off-the-wall and esoteric exercises as a part of your strength training routine rather than the standard weight lifting that a lot of people recommend. As you get closer to your goal and more into fine-tuning territory, I personally think that exercises that will work multiple large muscle groups simultaneously are going to give you the most bang for your buck and provide you with the overall athleticism that you seem to be looking for. There are a lot of great kettlebell workouts that will give you a great burn in multiple muscle groups at the same time, and perhaps most importantly, nearly all of them work your core along with whatever other primary muscle groups are being targeted. Look up things like: Turkish Get-Ups, Kettlebell Swings, Power Cleans, Deadlifts. Pull-ups are pretty much always going to be good exercise until you are at the level of that most people would consider a "high performance athlete" (if you can do 20 pull-ups without excessive difficulty, you are kicking much @55).
  • koosdel
    koosdel Posts: 3,317 Member
    Saving for later...
  • bbygrl5
    I am going to go ahead and break the mold here and recommend things totally different than everyone else lol. I suggest that you look into some more off-the-wall and esoteric exercises as a part of your strength training routine rather than the standard weight lifting that a lot of people recommend. As you get closer to your goal and more into fine-tuning territory, I personally think that exercises that will work multiple large muscle groups simultaneously are going to give you the most bang for your buck and provide you with the overall athleticism that you seem to be looking for. There are a lot of great kettlebell workouts that will give you a great burn in multiple muscle groups at the same time, and perhaps most importantly, nearly all of them work your core along with whatever other primary muscle groups are being targeted. Look up things like: Turkish Get-Ups, Kettlebell Swings, Power Cleans, Deadlifts. Pull-ups are pretty much always going to be good exercise until you are at the level of that most people would consider a "high performance athlete" (if you can do 20 pull-ups without excessive difficulty, you are kicking much @55).

Thank you!! Very informative input! I would like to do stuff like this as well. I'm almost thinking I might do 3 days a week, an upper body lift day, lower lift day, and a day for these types of resistance exercises. I would like to have a very well-rounded strength training regiment. I will be researching these exercises. Thanks again! :)
  • mocha76
    mocha76 Posts: 184 Member
    Check out the book, The New Rules of Lifting for Women. Very informative and has a laid out weight lifting plan.
  • bbygrl5
    Check out the book, The New Rules of Lifting for Women. Very informative and has a laid out weight lifting plan.

I've heard this book mentioned, I really should read it. I didn't know it laid out a plan, that's awesome!!! Thank you!!! :)
  • taso42_DELETED
    taso42_DELETED Posts: 3,394 Member
    I was going to type it all out, but really I just do this: http://bodyforlife.com/library/exercise/weight-training

All my exercises are with free weights. I can hit every muscle group, but sometimes I do wish I had some machines or at least a powerrack for some of the leg exercises. For example, it's getting very hard to hold on to the heavy dumbbells when trying to max out on squats or calf raises.
This discussion has been closed.