Looking for a running watch...

Options
Hello runners! I'm unsure if such a thing exists, but here's what I'm looking for...

Something NOT too expensive. I've seen the Garmin watches and they are way out of my price range right now. I know it's going to make it tough but I'm looking more in the $20/30 range. I'm not looking for something fancy, I only really need it to do just ONE thing for me... give me my current running pace. (The treadmill keeps me at a steady pace but I really struggle outside.) I am NOT looking for a heart rate monitor, I already have one that doesn't get used very often because it annoys me. I have an app on my BlackBerry that will map where/how far/how long I've run so I don't care about GPS (it's also hard to look at my phone while running, which is why I'm looking for a watch). I only need something to tell me that I'm running at say a 16 minute mile pace (or not :laugh: )

Like I said, I don't know if such a thing exists but I figured I'd give it a shot. :ohwell:

Thank you!!!

Replies

• RachelReady2Run
    RachelReady2Run Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    bump! thats exactly what I need! I map my runs (mapmyrun.com) out to figure out my mileage, but I don't know my pace until I complete the miles... and by then its too late!!
  • blackmamba886
    blackmamba886 Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    So glad I'm not alone! :flowerforyou: I use the same thing to map mine and yes, way to late!
    bump! thats exactly what I need! I map my runs (mapmyrun.com) out to figure out my mileage, but I don't know my pace until I complete the miles... and by then its too late!!
  • Starkle09
    Starkle09 Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    I would suggest looking for a garmin on ebay...you can find really great deals there. Or visit you local sporting goods store and take a look at their selection. Good luck :)
  • artvandalay
    Options
    adding myself to this thread because I want to know the answer to this!
  • johnwhitent
    johnwhitent Posts: 648 Member
    Options
    This may help some but certainly not all in this situation. If you have a smartphone you can download free apps that will give you pace, distance covered, and draw your route on a map. The OP has a Blackberry app that apparently does not give pace, but mine does. I use Runkeeper and love it. It gives verbal ques so I don't have to be looking at it all the time. It does not give continual audible feedback, just at half mile increments. It will say "Distance covered - one mile, average pace - 9 minutes 15 seconds per mile." That may be adjustable, I don't know, I just turn it on and take off. If you want to monitor pace closely, the pace is continually updated on the display, but I am content with the audible half mile increments. The only downside is the weight and bulk of the smartphone. Many people wear them in armbands.
  • jazgal
    jazgal Posts: 122
    Options
    Nike has a couple of sports bands that will do what you want ... do not know how much they ae ...
  • blackmamba886
    Options
    Went to at least check it out since I already wear my BlackBerry... but it doesn't look like there is an app available for BlackBerry. :frown:
    This may help some but certainly not all in this situation. If you have a smartphone you can download free apps that will give you pace, distance covered, and draw your route on a map. The OP has a Blackberry app that apparently does not give pace, but mine does. I use Runkeeper and love it. It gives verbal ques so I don't have to be looking at it all the time. It does not give continual audible feedback, just at half mile increments. It will say "Distance covered - one mile, average pace - 9 minutes 15 seconds per mile." That may be adjustable, I don't know, I just turn it on and take off. If you want to monitor pace closely, the pace is continually updated on the display, but I am content with the audible half mile increments. The only downside is the weight and bulk of the smartphone. Many people wear them in armbands.
  • blackmamba886
    Options
    I'm seriously considering one of these... although they are $50/60 because they require the Nike + sensor. Lucky for me my running shoes are already Nike + sneakers.
    Nike has a couple of sports bands that will do what you want ... do not know how much they ae ...
  • jeffrodgers1
    jeffrodgers1 Posts: 991 Member
    Options
    I'm seriously considering one of these... although they are $50/60 because they require the Nike + sensor. Lucky for me my running shoes are already Nike + sneakers.

I use the Nike+ sensor. It's ok, but not entirely accurate. It can be out as much as a 1/2 mile on a 10 mile run. It needs some calibration occasionally. That being said, it's better than nothing... especially if you already have the IPod. I think my Ipod sensor and shoe sensor cost me about $40 taxes in.
  • blackmamba886
    Options

I use the Nike+ sensor. It's ok, but not entirely accurate. It can be out as much as a 1/2 mile on a 10 mile run. It needs some calibration occasionally. That being said, it's better than nothing... especially if you already have the IPod. I think my Ipod sensor and shoe sensor cost me about $40 taxes in.

I do have the ipod already but I'd be using this for the sports watch to tell me what pace I'm running at. Any idea how accurate that would be?
  • anzura
    anzura Posts: 171
    Options
    I have a Garmin Forerunner and wouldn't trade it for anything. Save up!! You won't regret it. However, if you have a smart phone, there's all kinds of running apps that will tell you everything the Garmin does.
  • blackmamba886
    Options
    I have a Garmin Forerunner and wouldn't trade it for anything. Save up!! You won't regret it. However, if you have a smart phone, there's all kinds of running apps that will tell you everything the Garmin does.

Thanks and maybe someday I will but for now I need something really soon and won't have time to save up for one.
  • anzura
    anzura Posts: 171
    Options

Thanks and maybe someday I will but for now I need something really soon and won't have time to save up for one.

Map your route before hand with Mapmyrun or RunningAhead. Bring along a stop watch and do the math in your head. Make a note in your head where the mile markers are and you can figure out what your pace is.

But really, you have to have a gps to get an instant pace reading. You won't find that for under $100.
  • BigDaddyRonnie
    BigDaddyRonnie Posts: 506 Member
    Options
    If you have an Android phone, Cardio Trainer available free from the marketplace is awesome! And it does everything mentioned in this thread. My wife and I swear by it.
  • Starkle09
    Starkle09 Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    blackbery has an app called my personal trainer...its free and it says out loud the pace that you are running.
  • jeffrodgers1
    jeffrodgers1 Posts: 991 Member
    Options
    Not sure... the Nike+ Chip in the shoe is impact based. It counts your foot strikes. I tend to use the IPOD as I use a couple of different pod casts for my training purposes. It also gives me an online accounting of my running.

As far as the sports band, I am not sure how accurate they are...I believe they are motion sensitive. I have seen them for $80 at the Running Room. Likely cheaper in the US.

As a die hard runner, I also use a Garmin for the features you are looking for and more... I use a Forerunner 305 with HRM/GPS.

I have also used the MiCoach over my Blackberry Torch which is a free download from the Blackberry App store. It tells GPS data including speed and distance. You could strap it to your wrist maybe? It would definately be more accurate than the Nike products.
  • blackmamba886
    Options
    blackbery has an app called my personal trainer...its free and it says out loud the pace that you are running.

Will be checking this out...

Thanks!!
  • blackmamba886
    Options
    I have also used the MiCoach over my Blackberry Torch which is a free download from the Blackberry App store. It tells GPS data including speed and distance. You could strap it to your wrist maybe? It would definately be more accurate than the Nike products.

Will also be checking this one out, will have to look into straps to hold it to my arm...

Thanks!!
  • peteyTwang
    peteyTwang Posts: 250
    Options
    i use the POLAR HRM with the NIKE+ adapter >AND< RunKeeper Pro
    I wear the Sportband on one wrist -it displays a choice of HR, PACE, DISTANCE, TIME and Workout Duration
    The Polar FT7 Watch is on my other wrist - usually keep it on Heart Rate
    RunKeeper Pro (on my iPhone) maps the GPS data to the web and gives me audio cues (pace/speed/distance/time etc) lots of alternate data (as Jeff mentioned a little less generous/more accurate than NIKE, but I haven't calibrated the NIKE gear yet)

RunKeeper Pro is FREE - it already does what you want for FREE if you have a smartphone/iPhone Android whatever that it will work with -- PLUS it now has HRM compatibility though unfortunately not with _my_ existing gear...which is why I got the NIKE solution... but it may work for you -- or be cheaper if you are just getting set up now.

Adidas MiCoach is another competing product for anybody who wants to research that...