Fail to Plan = Plan to Fail!

Options
Just wanted to share a thought. Someone asked me if I plan my meals for the week, having an eat out day once a week if any. And well, i don't plan out my meals, instead I wing it, which makes it HARD for me stick to healthier eating. Although I am making healthier choices wherever I go, I know that these are still not my BEST options. After weeks of trying hard to lose weight, it is still hard to lose a pound in week, and now, looking back, it's my food choices. I stay under my calories, but that's not good enough. So, I am starting to plan ahead! So I can shop for the week, and even start preparing some of the food ahead of time for the day before if I need to (since I excersice after work, i don't get home until 7 or 8)

Hope this helps others make the same decision I did for a better lifestyle. :wink:

Replies

• Pandorian
    Pandorian Posts: 2,055 MFP Moderator
    Options
    This is true in just about every area of life. I've got friends who go "I don't know what I'm doing tomorrow, how am I supposed to know where I'll be in 5 years" while the "right" way is to know where you want to be in 5 years so every day you can evaluate what you're doing with "is this getting me closer to my goal" if answer is no then it's not really something you NEED to do :)
  • AriesGrl
    AriesGrl Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    I HAVE to plan everything!! If I dont I will totoally make the wrong choices....so everyday I get up and sit down at my comp and come on here and plan out my whole menu for the day so I know exactly what to eat...when it comes snack time and Im hungry there's no thinking...just look at what I chose that mornig and eat it... so when Im out and say hmmm Id like to stop for a snack..where if I hadent planned I could say maybe I have room for that....I already know theres no room in my calories for the day to eat anything off my menu...but this is just me=)
  • lisapickering
    Options
    Planning is the key to my success. I make a meal plan at the beginning of the week, do my grocery shopping (from the list only!!) and then prepare food - cut up fruits and veggies -- I have a million ziploc containers! I boil eggs, clean chicken and put in fridge or freezer, make steel oats and divide into portion sizes, etc. I am trying to eat clean... which requires time, so if I am well prepared it works. 10 weeks into it and now it's just habit!
  • Pakitalian85
    Pakitalian85 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    Hey girl... I have gotten pretty close to you as a fellow my fitness pal user, and we have shared the same frustrations.. but I gotta tell ya.. planning WILL make all of the difference... I have been making recipes from skinnytaste.com... if you haven't checked out her site yet, DO IT!! They are Weight Watcher Recipes, but she gives the calories, fat, fiber, protein, carbs, everything, for each recipe. I have been plugging them into the recipe builder in our "Tools" section. I have 5 of her recipes on file. I made her Stuffed Shells with Ground Turkey one night. Husband and I ate about half, and the rest I froze into little tupperware containers (serving size 3 shells). Did the same with her chicken enchilada recipe. So when I go home, I have my own little frozen meals in my freezer. I did these on the weekend. They freeze for weeks! I let my shells sit for almost a month and they tasted like I just made them. I wish you lived close, I would even bring you some! There are tons of websites out there, but hers have been the best for me. She even has a little "menu" on the right side of her website. Recipes listed by ingredients: chicken, fish, beef or by category : dinner, drinks, desserts.

I went waaaay of course here, but yes, try to plan ahead... I PROMISE it will help and make you feel like you have more control.. Hang in there hon... I'm with ya :)