OT: Migraines

Options
TamTastic
TamTastic Posts: 19,224 Member
Hey all! Just wondering if any of you get migraines and what you do to treat them.

I got one of the worst I have had in a long time yesterday. Since I have gotten them my whole life, I am usually able to catch them before they get too bad but yesterday, I allowed the initial throbbing to go because I was working and by the time I got off and got home, I was laying in bed in extreme pain from about 5 until 9! It sucked big time because I hadn't seen my son all day and couldn't spend time with him! :frown:

Anyway, I have taken imitrex but didn't like the side effects. I would take half and it made me feel like my skin was crawling and I got jittery. So, I have been taking over the counter stuff like excedrine migraine which works ok if I get it in time. I just wondered what you use and how it affects you??

Thanks!
Tam

Replies

• TamTastic
    Options
    Hey all! Just wondering if any of you get migraines and what you do to treat them.

I got one of the worst I have had in a long time yesterday. Since I have gotten them my whole life, I am usually able to catch them before they get too bad but yesterday, I allowed the initial throbbing to go because I was working and by the time I got off and got home, I was laying in bed in extreme pain from about 5 until 9! It sucked big time because I hadn't seen my son all day and couldn't spend time with him! :frown:

Anyway, I have taken imitrex but didn't like the side effects. I would take half and it made me feel like my skin was crawling and I got jittery. So, I have been taking over the counter stuff like excedrine migraine which works ok if I get it in time. I just wondered what you use and how it affects you??

Thanks!
    Tam
  • Phoenix_Rising
    Phoenix_Rising Posts: 11,417 Member
    Options
    I use immotrex when they are really bad, or Tylenol products to stave them off before they get horrible. I can't take motrin/ naproxen type products because of a perforated ulcer I had earlier this year.

I have pinpointed my triggers and am able to ward off migraines for the most part now. I had the starts of a migraine late last night because I ate entirely too much sodium yesterday, which is one of my triggers. (We were driving to the beach. Fast food and then Mexican for dinner.)
  • ali106
    ali106 Posts: 3,754 Member
    Options
    oh girl!!! I feel your pain...literally I do!:ohwell: ......I get a good wallop of a migraine at least once a month...more depending on stress levels, but for me pms can bring it on...GREAT huh...its like a two for one thing...:grumble:

I have a prescription from my doc for fiorinal (sp) and they work relatively quick....only thing is if I'm out and get one, ugggggh.....because if you take it and its already started full force it still takes awhile to feel better and I swear I am so non functional when I get one....and I can't be....(mom).

Most times I will try to take excedrin migraine tabs and I read where caffeine helps too...so I'll get a nice iced coffee and usually that helps too....but no computer, no lights, no tv...its really bad....so I hope you don't get another one...and talk w/ your doc about them honey!!!

hugs and much :heart:
    Ali
  • TamTastic
    Options
    I use immotrex when they are really bad, or Tylenol products to stave them off before they get horrible. I can't take motrin/ naproxen type products because of a perforated ulcer I had earlier this year.

I have pinpointed my triggers and am able to ward off migraines for the most part now. I had the starts of a migraine late last night because I ate entirely too much sodium yesterday, which is one of my triggers. (We were driving to the beach. Fast food and then Mexican for dinner.)
    Hey, yeah I am able to pinpoint them usually. I just let it go yesterday which was a huge mistake! I can't take motrin either because I got gastritis which is basically right before an ulcer. It was from when i had my c-section and was taking the high dosage motrine A LOT...and ended up one step away from an ulcer. I have to be careful. I think yesterday I didn't get my normal amount of water because I was busy at work, etc..
  • ali106
    ali106 Posts: 3,754 Member
    Options
    Oh boy....talk about the power of suggestion!.....I feel one creeping up....ugh....I don't want to take the fiorinal because well I'm not crazy about the way it makes me feel and only use them in extreme cases...and I have sooooo much to do today.....anyway....just thought it was funny you had one and I posted about what works and what I do...and now the little bugger is creeping up on me ....:grumble:

well if I'm MIA today you'll know why....awww man, I wanted to play too!:ohwell:

hugs and where is those Excedrin migraine pills and my coffee?????:huh:
    Ali
  • TamTastic
    Options
    Oh boy....talk about the power of suggestion!.....I feel one creeping up....ugh....I don't want to take the fiorinal because well I'm not crazy about the way it makes me feel and only use them in extreme cases...and I have sooooo much to do today.....anyway....just thought it was funny you had one and I posted about what works and what I do...and now the little bugger is creeping up on me ....:grumble:

well if I'm MIA today you'll know why....awww man, I wanted to play too!:ohwell:

hugs and where is those Excedrin migraine pills and my coffee?????:huh:
    Ali
    Sorry girl! Kick its *kitten*!!!!!
  • sindyb9
    sindyb9 Posts: 1,248 Member
    Options
    I used to get them all the time. They are horrible like you I can usually catch them but if not I suffer too. I take liquid advil and a very hot shower, let the hot water run on my head and then lay down with the heating pad (a moist heat one) I will be able to fall asleep at that point and wake up with out one. Hope you are feeling better. :flowerforyou:
  • jackeh
    jackeh Posts: 1,515 Member
    Options
    I get migraines too.... Always around my time of month, I take something called Mersondol Its over the counter and pretty much knocks me flat on my *kitten* but ... IT WORKS... I take 2 and i will almost instantly fall asleep but in the morning i feel better... where as if i didnt have the mersondol, My headachhes can go on for days....

I used to take muscle relaxors perscribed by my doctor... they looked like little house shapped pills... but i dont remember what they were called ... anyways those worked too, but the mersondol is over the counter so its easier to get....

jackie
  • AJCM
    AJCM Posts: 2,169 Member
    Options
    Oh Tam - I feel you - I have also been a sufferer.

Sounds like you've got it under control, so I don't know what I can add...
    - I try and catch it with a pain killer before it gets bad (as you've said!) (T3's were my drug of choice until I had kids, and couldn't use it while breastfeeding)
    - cold compress on my forehead/temples (some of you mentioned hot - I find mine is inflammatory, so I like the cold - this is probably my favourite treatment)
    - dark quite room
    - and not to be gross, but vomitting usually clears it up (so instead of fighting it, I go with it, and I typically feel better)

Could it be something in the environment? We are in Toronto, and my sister, my mother, and I have been suffering for the past two weeks or so.

Hope you're feeling better!
    :flowerforyou:
  • aaubrey
    aaubrey Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    My sister has dealt with migranes for a long time. They finally found that she has occipital nueralgia, spelling might not be right. But, anyway it is a genetic condition where you develop scar tissue on the nerves in the back of your neck. Apparently it is fairly common and was only recently discovered. She just had the surgery to clean up the scar tissue so we don't know if it is better or not yet, but look it up on the net and see if maybe you have similar symptoms. Also, my mother in law had migraines, she never had high blood pressure when she was younger but, when they put her on the blood pressure meds they went away. Hope that helps.
  • Healthier_Me
    Healthier_Me Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    Aw, Tiramisu... hope you feel better.
  • emtchip
    emtchip Posts: 12
    Options
    Are you on anything to prevent them before they happen? Some drugs like amitryptoline work to stop them before they start. Something to ask your Doc about?
  • sculley
    sculley Posts: 2,012 Member
    Options
    I used to get them so badly that light would make me want to throw up. It's odd though cause since i have been working out they haven't been as often but then again I get them when the sky is completely overcasted and lately it's been beautiful here.....hmmmm but when I had em I would take whatever I had in the shelf at the time like excedrine and I would take a hot bath and then take a nap
  • jackeh
    jackeh Posts: 1,515 Member
    Options
    Are you on anything to prevent them before they happen? Some drugs like amitryptoline work to stop them before they start. Something to ask your Doc about?

Oh yeah I was on this medication too..... its an antidepressant right???? I was not on it though for depression i was on it for the helping of migrains.... This med alsp worked but i had no coverage so it was starting to get expensive...:ohwell:
  • TamTastic
    Options
    Hmmm, I might talk to her! The thing is, they don't come on as often as they used to. And I am able to catch them MOST of the time before they get too bad. But yesterday was horrible. I am still feeling the effects today. It just made me think I should have a better plan! Thanks!
  • TamTastic
    Options
    I used to get them so badly that light would make me want to throw up. It's odd though cause since i have been working out they haven't been as often but then again I get them when the sky is completely overcasted and lately it's been beautiful here.....hmmmm but when I had em I would take whatever I had in the shelf at the time like excedrine and I would take a hot bath and then take a nap
    Yes light makes me throw up too. Or if the pain gets super bad that will make me throw up as well.
    I don't get them as often as I used to, maybe because I work out. And, if I feel one coming on...if I get some cardio in, it will usually help it go away! Yayyy endorphins!! LOL!

Yeah, I basically laid in bed with my eyes close with no noise and no light for about 4 hours yesterday evening.

I really don't know what triggered it.
  • TamTastic
    Options
    Thanks! I am better but I am wiped out today! Whew! It took a lot out of me. Do you get them?
  • marskids
    marskids Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    Hi Tam,
    I can understand your pain as well. I get them and find that for me the best thing to do is just take whatever pain killers I can get ahold of, (Tylenol 3 usually) go to bed in a dark room and sleep it off.
    Oddly enough I haven't had as many migraines since I had a hysterectomy a couple of years ago.
  • Fit2btied
    Fit2btied Posts: 486
    Options
    I know you want to have more kids in the near future, but when you are done, the Mirena birth control stops most womens cycles and eliminates the drop in hormones that cause migraines. Mine are completely gone after suffering with them for 7 years. I feel for you...they are debilitating and draining!
  • Healthier_Me
    Healthier_Me Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    Thanks! I am better but I am wiped out today! Whew! It took a lot out of me. Do you get them?
    I stopped getting them a few months ago... dunno what I did to make them stop though.
    Doesn't help when I have allergy attacks along with a migraine:ohwell:

I'm glad you're feeling a bit better sweets.

*hugs*

~Jo Jo:flowerforyou: