Is this too much?

Options
I don't want to burn myself out and I also don't like to eat my exercise cals back well at least all of them. Here is my routine I am looking at, do you think it would be too much?

Sunday- rest day or maybe swimming with the kids
Monday- weights, chest, tricepts, abs. 20 min cardio
Tuesday-30-45 min yoga
Wednesday- weights, legs, shoulders, calves. 20 min cardio
Thursday-30-45min yoga
Friday- rest day
Saturday- weights, back, biceps, abs. 20 min cardio

Replies

• BigDaddyRonnie
    BigDaddyRonnie Posts: 506 Member
    Options
    Nope. Plain and simple...nope.

Just listen to your body. If a joint or area of the body hurts from the exercise, scale back on that one, don't injure yourself and don't give up!

Its a good routine...nice planning!
  • sparklesammy
    sparklesammy Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    nope, doesnt seem to me like too much!! : )
  • anewattitude
    anewattitude Posts: 483 Member
    Options
    Seems good to me. Just listen to your body.. it will tell you if it's too much.
  • mrphil86
    mrphil86 Posts: 2,382 Member
    Options
    Not too bad, but I feel cardio afterwards is bad. Burning through you glycogen stores then running means you got to use some other source. Usually that's amino acids wether it be from muscles or protein. Smell ammonia in your sweat? Fat burning does happen unless you have a sustained burn rate. All this from lesson learned.
  • YPabe
    YPabe Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Great plan! but you should be eating your exercise cals.
  • heathersmilez
    heathersmilez Posts: 2,579 Member
    Options
    You've lost 107 lbs so whatever you have been doing is working. Eat if you feel run down due to hunger, don't eat if you are not.
  • YPabe
    YPabe Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Not too bad, but I feel cardio afterwards is bad. Burning through you glycogen stores then running means you got to use some other source. Usually that's amino acids wether it be from muscles or protein. Smell ammonia in your sweat? Fat burning does happen unless you have a sustained burn rate. All this from lesson learned.

I just read an article that states the opposite:

http://www.thepostgame.com/blog/training-day/201104/warm-cardio-then-go-weights-right-wrong
  • gaeljo
    gaeljo Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    You only need to refuel during workouts if you workout longer than 1 hour per day. After you work out, you only need to fuel up eating half your calories you earned from working out. this came from my sports dietitian and I feel it is very accurate info. Typically a chocolate milk is all you need after a 1 hour work out to fuel back up. Gael
  • gaeljo
    gaeljo Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    PS Impossible to work out too much. As long as you have 1 day a week of rest you are good to go. I'm a triathlete and workout anywhere from 1-3 hours 6 days a week.
  • tmaksparkie
    tmaksparkie Posts: 279
    Options
    You only need to refuel during workouts if you workout longer than 1 hour per day. After you work out, you only need to fuel up eating half your calories you earned from working out. this came from my sports dietitian and I feel it is very accurate info. Typically a chocolate milk is all you need after a 1 hour work out to fuel back up. Gael

Thanks, yes I do agree their is no to much but I don't want to burn out either. I do have a protein shake after workouts only when strength training 3x a week with dextrose to get it to my muscle as fast as possible.
  • dmisom79
    dmisom79 Posts: 112
    Options

http://www.thepostgame.com/blog/training-day/201104/warm-cardio-then-go-weights-right-wrong

This is the EXACT article i was just thinking about too that mentions the opposite and seems to make sense to me.
  • Dawntodusk
    Dawntodusk Posts: 262 Member
    Options

Good or bad, I'm usually too beat after weights to do any cardio. I think you should be really tired, otherwise maybe you're not lifting heavy enough. Sometimes I can't even finish my routine because after 30 minutes I'm exhausted. I usually just walk around the track a bit to cool off. Maybe you can do two days of weights, and then the other day that you have for weights, do an hour of cardio instead of just 20 minutes on 3 days.
  • jbug100
    jbug100 Posts: 406 Member
    Options

This seems to be the debate of the day. I have actually been doing cardio during my resistance training by swinging a kettlebell between sets to keep my HR up. I bet in the end it probably does not matter that much. As long as we are moving regularly is what really counts. Probably splitting hairs:)

This is the EXACT article i was just thinking about too that mentions the opposite and seems to make sense to me.
  • adrienc
    adrienc Posts: 57
    Options

Thanks for sharing this - this is a very good article indeed!
  • NikkiDerrig386
    NikkiDerrig386 Posts: 1,096 Member
    Options

That is not good advice - Trainers tell you to do cardio after weight lifting. Where did you get your information?
  • Shua456
    Shua456 Posts: 211
    Options

Good or bad, I'm usually too beat after weights to do any cardio. I think you should be really tired, otherwise maybe you're not lifting heavy enough. Sometimes I can't even finish my routine because after 30 minutes I'm exhausted. I usually just walk around the track a bit to cool off. Maybe you can do two days of weights, and then the other day that you have for weights, do an hour of cardio instead of just 20 minutes on 3 days.

Maybe your weights are too heavy. I take a body pump (weight lifting) class that is an hour long that works the entire body which tires me out but not so much that I can't immediately do a full hour of zumba right afterwards.
  • dave4d
    dave4d Posts: 1,155 Member
    Options

As long as you can eat something 30 to 60 minutes after you're done with your weight training workout, cardio is fine after weights. I agree with some others, that you should listen to your body. If I'm feeling dizzy, or nauseated after weights, I usually skip cardio after. Cardio after weights is similar to doing fasted cardio. It can speed your fat burning potential, since your glycogen stores are all used up, but you do need to be careful to make sure you aren't doing too much.
  • tmaksparkie
    tmaksparkie Posts: 279
    Options

As long as you can eat something 30 to 60 minutes after you're done with your weight training workout, cardio is fine after weights. I agree with some others, that you should listen to your body. If I'm feeling dizzy, or nauseated after weights, I usually skip cardio after. Cardio after weights is similar to doing fasted cardio. It can speed your fat burning potential, since your glycogen stores are all used up, but you do need to be careful to make sure you aren't doing too much.

Yes exactley that is why I only do 20 min after that your body starts to break down muscle for energy, and yes I also weight train like bodybuilders, bodybuilding.com my fav site after this one of course. I have major muscle now just need fat gone to see it.
  • mrphil86
    mrphil86 Posts: 2,382 Member
    Options
    I'd love to know what trainers say this. Again, A trainer at L.A. Fitness is all of a sudden a biochemist? His/Her certification means what? I'd talk to a nutritionist about macro nutrients in the body before I talked to a trainer.

First you need to understand the ATP cycle
    http://www2.estrellamountain.edu/faculty/farabee/biobk/biobookatp.html

And the Krebs Cycle
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Krebs_Cycle

Then enter the TCA cycle
    http://themedicalbiochemistrypage.org/tca-cycle.html

Top it off we'll show this
    http://themedicalbiochemistrypage.org/amino-acid-metabolism.html

Or if you need a simple version:
    http://www.mhc.uiuc.edu/Handouts/macronutrients.htm

EDIT: Oh, don't forget about the laws of thermodynamics.
    EDIT 2: I'm pretty sure even high school text books show all this.
  • inertiadriftsc
    Options
    uhmmm the Krebs cycle can use both fats and proteins, also the Krebs cycle is the TCA cycle since it's formal name is the Tricarboxylic Acid Cycle. You just posted a bunch of links to the point of not even reading the wikipedia page in which it says on the first line that the Kreb's cycle is the TCA cycle. "The citric acid cycle — also known as the tricarboxylic acid cycle (TCA cycle), the Krebs cycle, or the Szent-Györgyi-Krebs cycle" If you keep reading it says that the primary fuel of the Kreb's cycle is glucose, however BOTH protein and fat can be used. Lipids(fats) break down into Glycerol and fatty acids, while protein breaks down into amino acids.

Do you also want to explain which law of thermodynamics and how it's applicable? Because there is the Zeroth law that states that if A is in equilibrium with B and B with C then A is in equilibrium with C. or maybe its the Conservation of Energy in a closed system, the second law. The second law that says that entropy decreases, forbidding perpetual motion machines? Or maybe the third law that says its impossible to cool something to absolute zero? What to do some path and explain how these determine whether or not you should do cardio before or after weight? Or do you want to throw some more crap around about entering the TCA cycle after the Kreb's Cycle?

Sorry Bro, some of us do science for a living and everyone in their family does it too (My sister works in a biomedical engineering lab at UCSD, and my whole family are engineers so I've been exposed to and taken thermodynamics, heat transfer and my chemistries)

Don't throw science around that you know most people won't understand to try to prove a point without actually making the argument. This is as irritating to me than people taking a paper and running with it to bad conclusions ignoring the subtleties and narrow focus of the literature.