too many leftover calories, but feeling satisfied?

Options
iuali81
iuali81 Posts: 47 Member
I seem to be coming up short on my calories everyday, and by a pretty large number too. Yesterday I was under by 536 calories. I logged 235 calories burned from exercise and I get 300 calories burned everyday b/c I'm breastfeeding. The problem is, I feel like I'm eating enough. I'm not hungry or unsatisfied after my meals. I had full breakfast, lunch, dinner and snacks yesterday. Is it a big deal that I'm not getting these calories? I keep getting a warning when I submit each day that my body is going to go into starvation mode if I keep coming in under.

Replies

• ronda_gettinghealthy
    ronda_gettinghealthy Posts: 777 Member
    Options
    grab a protein bar= has cals, good nutrition and protein to help rebuild muscle.
  • ronda_gettinghealthy
    ronda_gettinghealthy Posts: 777 Member
    Options
    also try to eat more calorie dense foods
  • ambie35
    ambie35 Posts: 853 Member
    Options
    First off I would say every body is different and perhaps 1200 is not the magic number for your body. However that isn't for me to decided.
    Second off if you feel it would be beneficial to have those extra calories try adding a glass of milk in with dinner,or a handful of almonds for a snack or some avocado on your lunch salad. These are easy ways to get a few extra calorie in your day the nutritious way.
  • jessimacar
    jessimacar Posts: 291
    Options
    It took me a long time to realize you need those calories and you probably need them more because you're feeding another person!! I would drink some fruit juice or other healthy drinks to add some calories without stuffing yourself. Maybe add a smoothie in the morning packed with good stuff, or some fresh fruit between meals.. Eventually my weightloss stalled because my body did go into "starvation mode" which isn't healthy for me.. I felt ill and fatiqued, almost like I had the flu. While this may not happen to everyone, it sucked for me.

I'd start finding ways to include more calories to make sure you're healthy for yourself and the little one you're feeding. :)
  • ramseyrose
    ramseyrose Posts: 421 Member
    Options
    How many are you having in total? If you are still getting enough NET calories you should be ok
  • stefraab
    stefraab Posts: 402 Member
    Options
    I'm the same! Still nursing my 1.5 year old and when I exercise I come waaaay under. It's made me paranoid I'm going to ruin my metabolism. But I'm always satisfied. Haven't been hungry yet (other than right before meals)
  • RMinVA
    RMinVA Posts: 1,085 Member
    Options
    I seem to be coming up short on my calories everyday, and by a pretty large number too. Yesterday I was under by 536 calories. I logged 235 calories burned from exercise and I get 300 calories burned everyday b/c I'm breastfeeding. The problem is, I feel like I'm eating enough. I'm not hungry or unsatisfied after my meals. I had full breakfast, lunch, dinner and snacks yesterday. Is it a big deal that I'm not getting these calories? I keep getting a warning when I submit each day that my body is going to go into starvation mode if I keep coming in under.

If you are eating a well balanced diet, don't worry about it. Your body will defnitely let you know what it needs.

But if is happening on a regular basis, you might want to consider bumping up your meals during the day a bit. A fistful of nuts, a bit of shredded cheese on a salad or extra bit of protein @ dinner will go a long way toward increasing your calories in a healthy manner.
  • stanvoodoo
    stanvoodoo Posts: 1,023 Member
    Options
    Don't count the Breastfeeding, that should help as well. It is something your body is used too, like other chores and should not be counted.

Good Luck!
  • fitmom4ever
    fitmom4ever Posts: 130
    Options
    That happens to me often as well (just starting to wean my almost 1 yr old). I would just make sure that you are getting enough iron and calcium while you're breastfeeding (prenatal vitamins are a good supplement still) and try to add in some extra protein packed snacks like nuts or cheese. And plenty of water is essential. But as long as you aren't hungry and your baby seems to be getting enough to grow, I wouldn't worry a ton.
  • wewon
    wewon Posts: 838 Member
    Options
    Throw in a cup of peanuts and munch on it throughout the day.

Your metabolism could be slowing down if you are coming up short and not feeling hungry.