Depo-provara problem.

Options
WalkingGirl1985
WalkingGirl1985 Posts: 2,047 Member
Well, I've been on it for a year..really was the right choice for me..lost weight all this time, faithfully stuck to healthy choices when I could..hardly had TOM for a year, all i got was 1-2 of them lasting a few days with occasional spotting. I'm out of state visiting my mom, and will be a day late getting to my next one when its due..but about 2 weeks ago I noticed I started again..said ok, its gunna stick around for a few days and go..NOT! It's been 2 weeks and counting. Anyone on it and have experienced the same problem?

Replies

• jennmoore3
    jennmoore3 Posts: 1,015 Member
    Options
    YES!!!. mine was too annoying. It was... very little but for like 2 weeks! Now I have been on the shot for almost 9 years! I told my dr. and she told me it was from exercising. my body was so not used to it and when my body is adjusted it will stop... and it did.
  • WalkingGirl1985
    Options
    Yeah, i do a lot of walking- gunna call them anyway just to ask.
  • Tzavush
    Tzavush Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    As your body is adjusting to Depo Provera, it is likely that you will experience irregular bleeding (spotting) and/or prolonged bleeding (like a continuous period). This reaction is considered completely normal. If, however, you notice that your bleeding is very heavy or if you are concerned, it is important to contact your health-care provider

Guide to What to Expect During the First Year of Depo Provera Use
    By Dawn Stacey M.Ed, LMHC, About.com Guide
    Updated April 08, 2011

About.com Health's Disease and Condition content is reviewed by the Medical Review Board

http://contraception.about.com/od/prescriptionoptions/ss/depoprovera_2.htm
  • WalkingGirl1985
    Options
    Its weird though, been working out all this time..and it happens now..
  • SeasideOasis
    SeasideOasis Posts: 1,057 Member
    Options
    -=Shakes=- I had very bad reactions from that. After five months, the shots didnt even work anymore. I switched doctors and my newer one (well at the time he was new) took me right off of them. It took forever for my body to adjust to normal types/doses of hormones. I went with an IUD and have been getting better results with less negative effects.
  • WalkingGirl1985
    Options
    I tried to have the marana..but i dont have kids so they had a problem even doing the procedure, so i told them to put me on the shot instead.
  • Xandi
    Xandi Posts: 319
    Options
    I did it years ago and one shot bleed straight for a months...
    needless to say worst time of my life so anemic!!!
    I felt so disgusting... and nothing they could do. :(
  • SeasideOasis
    Options
    Yeah, I dont have kids either. I had a little more pain than some do, but we were able to place it none the less.
  • SeasideOasis
    Options
    I did it years ago and one shot bleed straight for a months...
    needless to say worst time of my life so anemic!!!
    I felt so disgusting... and nothing they could do. :(

This happened to me (and then some ) after a few months of my using it as well...Horrible...
  • SMJohnson27
    SMJohnson27 Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    YES!!!. mine was too annoying. It was... very little but for like 2 weeks! Now I have been on the shot for almost 9 years! I told my dr. and she told me it was from exercising. my body was so not used to it and when my body is adjusted it will stop... and it did.

9 years?!?! Sorry, it is just a shock because I had it for 2 and a half years and they told me that they don't want anyone on it for more than 2 years because they are realizing it is causing oestoporosis in woman as young as 30, among other problems. I had actually went in to stop it and get something else, because of the excessive weight gain (45 pounds in those 2.5 years), but that is what they told me when I went in to talk to them. My friend that was on it was told to stop after the two years as well.
  • WalkingGirl1985
    Options
    2 years huh? I've been on mine a year since March. I'll stay on it as long as I handle- but if I notice any sorts of excessive bleeding months on end, pain, or excessive weight gain (right now, that part is under control) I'll find other choices. I'm ok on the pill, but not very responsible..sometimes I forget, just get sick of having to remember every night, and going to the store every month..and I travel too..sometimes the timing on that while on the pill is never perfect..so the shot is something I can go in for every 3 months and take care of it..easier on me..and i dont have a period. I like the fact i dont have a period..feel better, not having the headaches as much and cramping/bloating feeling i get every month i had it..I feel better on the shot.
  • SMJohnson27
    SMJohnson27 Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    2 years huh? I've been on mine a year since March. I'll stay on it as long as I handle- but if I notice any sorts of excessive bleeding months on end, pain, or excessive weight gain (right now, that part is under control) I'll find other choices. I'm ok on the pill, but not very responsible..sometimes I forget, just get sick of having to remember every night, and going to the store every month..and I travel too..sometimes the timing on that while on the pill is never perfect..so the shot is something I can go in for every 3 months and take care of it..easier on me..and i dont have a period. I like the fact i dont have a period..feel better, not having the headaches as much and cramping/bloating feeling i get every month i had it..I feel better on the shot.

I loved it, other than the weight gain. I have been on it three times since I was a teenager, because I never had a period. No cramps, no spotting, ever. I could never remember to take a pill everyday either. But they would always take me off of it after two years and then I would wait at least a year and a half and go back on it, but I had switched doctors every time, so I wasn't sure if I was supposed to. I just figured as long as it wasn't 6 years straight. And this last time was the only time I started gaining weight with it.
  • jennmoore3
    jennmoore3 Posts: 1,015 Member
    Options
    Well, I had my twins on the pill... So after my second pregnancy, I asked about the shot. My doctor never said anything about 2 years and get off.

Steph, I am not sure about my weight gain. I have been a out of control eater, so maybe it is part shot and part me. Not to mention once a year I get on Steroids for my allergies. Only for a few days then my Zyrtec works again.

I never have breakthrough bleeding unless it is time for my shot. I actually love the shot. Love, love, love it. I wouldn't even trade the weight gain. Mine were so bad, I would be puking and have severe pain, and headaches that you would not believe. So, for me the shot is a god sent. My girlfriend is also on the shot. She has never had kids and really doesn't want any. She has been on it longer than me, I can't remember how long though. She loves it as well.
  • Aurelina
    Aurelina Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    YMMV and we can have exceptionally different metabolisms, but for me a Depo shot would be hell. I have been overdosed on progesterone and it was the Magic Fat Maker. There is a drug to help cancer patients gain weight when they have lost their appetite; Magace, a version of progesterone. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmedhealth/PMH0000539/ Here's some notable bits from the NIH website. "Megestrol suspension is used to treat loss of appetite, malnutrition, and severe weight loss in patients with acquired immunodeficiency syndrome (AIDS). <snip> Megestrol is a man-made version of the human hormone progesterone. <snip> It increases weight gain by increasing appetite." Nifty, heh. Megace = Magic Fat You can find glowing reports online about it helping someone's mom gain 10 lbs in a month. Good stuff if you are suffering from cancer.

How about the black box warning on Depo-Provera http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Depo-Provera#Black_box_warning

I have a hunch that for some of us, enough P in our system blocking our estrogen reception and we end up with symptoms of MS. Raising hand here. What happens when you get MS? For most? Doc prescribes steroids = weight gain. P and steroids increase blood sugar and so you might just do a Magic Fat Dance with no effort at all.

One easy test to see how you respond to progesterone and if you might be particularly sensitive to it, get a blood glucose monitor and see what your blood sugar levels are on the mornings of the estrogen phase of your cycle and then see what happens during the last two weeks during the progesterone phase of your cycle.