Protein after aerobic exercise - meaningful or not?

Options
I know that one's supposed to consume protein directly after resistance exercise, to help repair muscle.

What about aerobic exercise? Should one consume excess protein after running, or elliptical? Does it matter, as there's less muscle breakdown in aerobic exercise?

Thanks for your input!

-Maury

Replies

• BrendaBlis
    BrendaBlis Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    I am wondering too...
  • Lyadeia
    Lyadeia Posts: 4,603 Member
    Options
    I don't know the exact science behind it, but I will tell you that my own personal experience is that when I have something like a protein shake afterwards I simply feel better. Whether it's related to muscle repair or not, I'm not too sure. But after finishing an hour long Turbo Kick class I regain my energy from that drink.
  • MrsH06
    MrsH06 Posts: 159
    Options
    I usually have a protein shake after doing the elliptical for 25+ minutes or a long (4+miles) walk pushing the stroller. 3 days a week I have an hour of dancing straight into the elliptical for 30 I have a protein shake after wards also.
  • brandilea_willoughby
    Options
    The protein helps with soreness too, if that is not a problem, I think I would not worry about it except as it relates to my daily recommendation :) Much success!
  • jsteras
    jsteras Posts: 344 Member
    Options
    high-intensity exercise is a form of stress, and stress raises the level of a hormone called cortisol which triggers muscle breakdown. Even about 40 calories of whey protein (or 1-2 grams of free-form leucine) is evidently enough to trigger new protein synthesis. This is useful after both weight training and cardio workouts. After weight workouts, you might also combine that protein intake with a few grams of carbohydrate (even the amount in a serving of Betagen or an ounce of apple juice). This can shut down cortisol without significantly impairing your fat-loss progress. If you're after fat loss too, you should still wait about 45 minutes before having a more complete meal. But the research is increasingly clear that a little bit of protein-rich nutrition - less than 100 calories - can be very effective after workouts.
    http://www.hussmanfitness.org/html/TFPostProtein.html
  • harpcason
    harpcason Posts: 40
    Options
    I wish that I knew this last week. I began the 30 Day Shred and my quads hurt terribly. Both felt like they were ripped (in a bad way). I bet they would have felt better if I would have made me a protein shake. Oh well, now I know. I start Level 2 tomorrow, I may need it then. :)
  • mauryr
    mauryr Posts: 385
    Options
    jsteras,

Thanks for the link! Just what I was looking for.

-Maury