Help Please! What mix cardio:weights to lose weight?!

Options

Replies

• Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    Neither:

Calorie deficit to lose weight.

Strength Training to preserve Lean Body Mass (Bone density, muscle tissue, etc) and make you stronger

Cardio for Heart Health, Muscular Endurance.

This right here. I'll add that cardio is a very good way to help get into that calorie deficit, especially if you have trouble eating less food (like myself)

i second this.
  • wibblefps
    Options
    Funnily enought there's another thread on this here:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1090290-help-for-maintaining-weight-and-gaining-lean-muscle

I won't cross post but suffice to say, I ditched all the bench work and switched to cardio. Only then did my weight drop dramatically and I've toned far more than I ever did pushing weights. Now, to me, the people doing weights don't look toned anymore.
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options
    weights gain muscles.

John-Krasinski-no.gif

Neither:

Strength Training to preserve Lean Body Mass (Bone density, muscle tissue, etc) and make you stronger

This right here. I'll add that cardio is a very good way to help get into that calorie deficit, especially if you have trouble eating less food (like myself)

i second this.

Third, and to add....preserving LBM gives you the "tone" you're looking for once the fat is gone.
  • RGv2
    Options
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1090290-help-for-maintaining-weight-and-gaining-lean-muscle

I won't cross post but suffice to say, I ditched all the bench work and switched to cardio. Only then did my weight drop dramatically and I've toned far more than I ever did pushing weights. Now, to me, the people doing weights don't look toned anymore.

Your weight dropped signifigantly because you're dropping both fat and LBM. Those that mix weights with cardio conserve LBM, so all of the weightloss is fat, thus the scale moving slower, but the inches coming off.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options

People doing weights don't look 'toned'? Am I reading this correctly?
  • wibblefps
    Options
    Not to me, not anymore. They used to, very much so but after I got properly into running they don't soo much to me. I think it's how my own self perception has changed. Those that do the cardio as well still have tone but those who JUST do weights - no, not to me personally.
  • cgrout78
    cgrout78 Posts: 1,679 Member
    Options
    I do both...I do lifting heavy twice a week and cardio 2 or 3 days a week. And when I lift I do big compound lifts (squats, deads, rows etc)

I have about 10-15 pounds of weight I want to drop, but I'm more focused now on how my clothes fit than the numbers on the scale.
  • FrankiesSaysRelax
    FrankiesSaysRelax Posts: 403 Member
    Options
    Not to me, not anymore. They used to, very much so but after I got properly into running they don't soo much to me. I think it's how my own self perception has changed. Those that do the cardio as well still have tone but those who JUST do weights - no, not to me personally.

This makes no sense to me...
  • links_slayer
    links_slayer Posts: 1,151 Member
    Options
    4.37:1

/thread
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options

Really .... very odd indeed.
  • RunHardBeStrong
    RunHardBeStrong Posts: 33,069 Member
    Options

Me either. I know from personal experience when I'm training for a marathon and laying off the heavy lifting quite a bit, I become squishy. When I'm laying off the running some and pick up the heavy lifting more, I'm much more toned, look, feel and perform better.
  • wibblefps
    Options

Simple, (I thought - maybe I'm wrong, in which case my mistake), before I lost the fat and toned up, I thought the exclusive dumbell pushers looked toned. After I lost the weight and toned up, I don't see them the same way anymore - bizarre but that's how I see them, go figure!
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options

Me neither. "Tone" is lower BF% that shows muscle. People who lift generally have decent muscle and cardio is not needed for low BF%. I am very confused myself.
  • RGv2
    Options

In the middle of a bulk cycle?
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options

Simple, (I thought - maybe I'm wrong, in which case my mistake), before I lost the fat and toned up, I thought the exclusive dumbell pushers looked toned. After I lost the weight and toned up, I don't see them the same way anymore - bizarre but that's how I see them, go figure!

It is about a low BF%.
  • mrslcoop
    mrslcoop Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    Neither:

Ding ding ding. I do both for those reasons. 3 days of each and on alternating days (I just don’t have the time to combine them into one day with the demands of my job or I'd be up all night.
  • sadyebaker
    Options
    Have you tried kettlebells? The classes I go to are called spin and swing, a mix of various Kettlebell exercises and spinning. They're a great way to combine weights and cardio in one to get a full workout.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options

In the middle of a bulk cycle?

Maybe that's where the confusion is - BF%. That's pretty much all I can work out.
  • just_Jennie1
    Options
    Why not do both?

I do 30 min. of cardio before and about an hour to an hour and a half of lifting after. Cardio keeps me lean and the lifting obviously gives me muscle. I also work one muscle group per day and alternate legs and abs. This works for me because I can concentrate more on the muscle group that I'm working and I don't feel rushed.
  • RGv2
    Options

It is about a low BF%.

Yep, lifting makes sure you have more muscle left to show "tone" when the BF% is lowered.

It's possible those that "lift only" go through bulk/cut cycles. You need a caloric surplus to add muscle mass, where in turn some fat will be added. Higher BF%, lower "tone". After the bulk cycle, lifters continue to lift, but cut cals to lower BF%, and thus gain "tone" again, but with added mass.