Exercise

Options
Hi! I've been here for a few months and have done pretty well. I'm happy with my progress but was wondering about cardio. I have COPD so really cannot push myself to the point of breathing too heavily. Is cardio the only way to burn fat or can I just strength train and walk? Anybody have any suggestions? I walk laps in my house (a mile every day and boy does that get boring because this is not a very big house) and lift weights and do floor exercises 3 days a week. What do you think about tai chi? Anybody?

Replies

• killianrjkl
    Options
    Hi! I've been here for a few months and have done pretty well. I'm happy with my progress but was wondering about cardio. I have COPD so really cannot push myself to the point of breathing too heavily. Is cardio the only way to burn fat or can I just strength train and walk? Anybody have any suggestions? I walk laps in my house (a mile every day and boy does that get boring because this is not a very big house) and lift weights and do floor exercises 3 days a week. What do you think about tai chi? Anybody?
  • JessicaT2007
    JessicaT2007 Posts: 553 Member
    Options
    I know that strength training also burns the fat as you build muscle, or just tone. Are you into workout DVD's at all? Some of them are fun. I have the Carmen Electa series (Not all of them are about strip teases :smile: ) and she actually has a pretty good workout one that is low impact and slower than most. I love tae bo, but that can get you breathing hard, Pilates is really good too for toning. I have no idea about tai chi... sorry.
  • Canelitas
    Canelitas Posts: 712
    Options
    You could probably try doing 20 of these at a time for 3 times

Arms Up and Down
    Arms to the side with front kicks
    Or Knee Up with Arms up

It'll help keep your heart rate going.
    Best Wishes! :flowerforyou:
  • time2wrk
    time2wrk Posts: 773 Member
    Options
    I think anything where you are using your body is good and will help the weight come off. Maybe not as FAST as with cardio, but you are still getting healthier with any form of exercise, and that is the ultimate goal, right? :wink:
  • killianrjkl
    Options
    Thank you so much. I need a little encouragement so I don't feel that the little I am doing is wasted. I have stubborn belly fat and wonder if it will ever go away.
  • Fit2btied
    Fit2btied Posts: 486
    Options
    You might look into fat burning workouts...they keep your heart rate lower and that might keep you from the breathing problems. Good luck!
  • licia67
    licia67 Posts: 109
    Options
    I have heard that the best way to burn fat is to build muscle.
    I have been doing a weight training program since December and I have lost only 21 pounds, but am getting really lean.
  • Eve23
    Eve23 Posts: 2,352 Member
    Options
    I like tai chi and quigong because it does work you out. I am not sure how good it is on the cardio but it is a great exercise.

I walk myself. When I first began I could barely do a mile. Seriously :noway:
    But I can do much more now and I still do the other as well. Work up to it and you should gain stamina.

Good luck:flowerforyou:
  • kismetplayer
    Options
    I have COPD with emphysema. Do you have pulmonary rehab in your area? I go there and do the machines they have. I can't get my heart rate up very far because I get out of breathe but the exercise helps a lot and I do a lot of walking at home.