Overweight Fitness Instructor - thoughts?

Options
My gym has been offering Zumba classes and has had a strong interest, I just finally made it to one and had a BLAST! Only to find out that the instructor is no longer going to be doing it. I thought, huh, I should do it - said it out loud kind of as a what if, but, a lot of people since have expressed a strong interest in my doing so. I said I would do it when I finally "got skinny" but many people have expressed that they don't care that I'm not. I have a very outgoing personality and I completely have the stamina for it - I workout pretty intensely quite often, and think I would be fine in that regard. I also think it would help me reach my fitness goals as well...I have several people behind me that said they'd absolutely come if I taught it, and it sounds as if the owner of the fitness center would be behind it too...I'm just slightly self concious about being a chunky "fitness" instructor. Then again, as someone pointed out, it may draw in more people because they would be less intimidated.

Thoughts?

Replies

• sdickman
    sdickman Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I think it would be WAY less intimidating to see someone that I can relate to teaching a class! You should definitely go for it!
  • LauriinSB
    LauriinSB Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I agree, way less intimidating to not have a super skinny instructor, plus you could give a lot of encouragement to your class. Go for it!
  • paubanda
    paubanda Posts: 34
    Options
    GO FOR IT! DON'T LET THIS BE ANOTHER STEREO TYPE THAT HOLDS YOU BACK! THIS WILL BENEFIT U AS WELL! GOOD LUCK! U MOTIVATED ME TO TRY ZUMBA TOO!
  • ouryear002
    ouryear002 Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    Go for it! I think it would be inspiring to others to have you share your journey!
  • bjshields
    bjshields Posts: 677 Member
    Options
    Do it!! You sound like a great fitness instructor to me!. And by the way, I am not at my goal weight/size YET, but I am also studying to be a certified personal trainer. I totally believe I will get there. You will, too; go for it!:smile:
  • MandeeSue
    MandeeSue Posts: 153
    Options
    I think it would be WAY less intimidating to see someone that I can relate to teaching a class! You should definitely go for it!
    I agree, go for it !!
  • Newmammaluv
    Newmammaluv Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    I think it is a great idea ESPECIALLY because it is Zumba... I feel all sorts of funny at home doing Zumba when I feel things moving aroung a little more than I would like but if I could watch someone or have an instructor who didn't look like she was made out of hard plastic doing it with me I would feel WAY better!!
  • Sparren
    Sparren Posts: 106
    Options
    I used to have the same thoughts - and was in the same situation as you - my Zumba instructor was calling it quits and asked if I'd be interested.

I am by no means "skinny", and I'm not even the lightest in my class, but I am a Zumba instructor and I love it! Go for it!
  • hayley_m
    hayley_m Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    yeah you should definitely do it!! you can connect with your class on another level then and share the weight loss/tone up journey together!! good luck!!
  • roxanne90
    roxanne90 Posts: 95
    Options
    Go for it.............and have a blast :)
  • Fat2FitChick
    Fat2FitChick Posts: 451 Member
    Options
    I think you should do it!! Your making progress and the people in your class will see your transformation right before their eyes showing them that their goals are achievable. I don't know about you but sometimes it makes me angry when I thin person is training me because I always feel like they don't know what it feels like to be carrying an extra 40 lbs but when I see someone who started out like me and and I see them getting fit and they are working just as hard as they are pushing me to work I am motivated to work just as hard. You can do it!!
  • new_me_9_67
    new_me_9_67 Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    To quote the famous Nike slogan..."Just do it"
    I agree with sdicman as well and it would be a great motivator for the students to see you up there (I hope that doesn't sounds bad)

Best of luck and I hope you do it.
    Please let us know what your decision is.

Have fun
  • drea0087
    drea0087 Posts: 11
    Options
    Go for it! I've seen many overweight fitness instructors & trainers who are great & a lot of them have reached a healthier weight over time!
  • kathyhull
    kathyhull Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    I'm with everyone else here - Zumba's all about having fun. I say DO IT!
  • ChunTingO
    ChunTingO Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    do it!!!!! people can relate! i would so go!
  • roxanne90
    roxanne90 Posts: 95
    Options
    I think it is a great idea ESPECIALLY because it is Zumba... I feel all sorts of funny at home doing Zumba when I feel things moving aroung a little more than I would like but if I could watch someone or have an instructor who didn't look like she was made out of hard plastic doing it with me I would feel WAY better!!

Oh I agree :)
  • kaylou
    kaylou Posts: 375 Member
    Options
    Absolutly do it!!! I say go for it! I would go to the class no matter what the instructor looked like. As long as I got a good workout and had fun!
  • caseymcq
    caseymcq Posts: 55
    Options
    I agree with everyone else! Having an instructor who is going through the same thing I am would be a little more encouraging, I think. Sort of like "we are doing this together"! Good luck on your weighloss journey, though in whatever you decide!
  • mmiley1111
    mmiley1111 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Go for it. I use to take a step class and the teacher was about 40lbs over weight and I loved her class.
  • thefreemans28
    thefreemans28 Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    I would go to your class! It's always so intimidating to walk into class only to see a super skinny chick up there in her tight pants and sports bra with a 6-pack! And it sounds to me like you've got a ton of support! I say go for it! if anything, like you said, it'll help you achieve your own goals faster! It'll keep you accountable for HAVING to work out and not making excuses to not do it!