Beginning runner needs help

Options
So I'm doing C25K and am on week 5. Everything's going great except: my achilles tendons are sooooo tight while running that I have to stop several times during my 25 minutes to stretch them out.

I thought maybe getting good shoes would solve this problem, but I went to a running store and got fitted a week ago and while I love the shoes, the achilles problem hasnt' changed.

I do a seven minute walking warm-up, stretch my achilles and proceed with my c25k program but end up having to stop and stretch during each walk period.

Is this something that I'm just going to have to wait out until I'm a stronger runner? I am doing other excercise - 30 Day Shred & zumba, but I just started my "fitness journey" in February, so I wouldn't say I'm in great shape yet.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Replies

• DrMan
    DrMan Posts: 86
    Options
    bump
  • stephmn
    stephmn Posts: 18
    Options
    I did the C25K last year and had the same issue. A runner friend recommended toe raises and dips. I now do a set of 10-15 toe raises and 10-15 toe dips off the front steps before and after my run and I haven't had any issues. It also really helped my shin splints! :)

Good luck with the rest of your training!!
  • BifDiehl
    BifDiehl Posts: 474
    Options
    Steph - I will definitely try that. At this point, I'd stand on my head if it helped! :tongue:

Anybody else?
  • rebelontherun
    rebelontherun Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    I'm about to start the C25k so I'm glad I found this post. Sounds like you have a good workout plan overall and I wanted to say great job on that!
  • BifDiehl
    BifDiehl Posts: 474
    Options
    Thanks REbel! Never would've believed I could run, but I LOVE it (except for the achilles!!)

Give it a try - you can do it!
  • mbroeckelmanpost
    mbroeckelmanpost Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Try stretching after your run-- particularly stretches that stretch the calf muscles. You can try stretching your foot against a wall or stair, mountain climbers, or the downward dog yoga pose (or all 3). I would also suggest using your toes to spell out the alphabet at least once a day-- keeping your leg still and only moving from the ankle, write each letter in the air with your toes as big as possible. It might sound a little silly-- but this is a great way to stretch and strengthen the tendons in the lower leg, which will help with shin splints and Achilles tendon pain.

Stretching before a run can be helpful (though it sounds like there's some research suggesting that it's not as good of an idea as we once thought), but stretching afterward is crucial.

Best of luck!
  • jeffrodgers1
    jeffrodgers1 Posts: 991 Member
    Options
    REST... your body compels you.

Sounds like a hint of Achilles Tendinitis. Get some rest, you don't want to aggravate it further as it can develop into a lingering problem.

You may want to look at your stretching regiment (After warmup and after your workout)
  • amyrc12
    amyrc12 Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    So true!! I was convinced my whole life that I hated running - turns out I actually like it! Who knew?
    I'm only on week 3 of C25K - but am loving it so far!

Sorry I'm really not offering any solutions to your problem... just couldn't resist adding my praises to C25K!
    Hope you find something to fix your pain!
    Thanks REbel! Never would've believed I could run, but I LOVE it (except for the achilles!!)

Give it a try - you can do it!
  • stenochick
    stenochick Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    I've had achilles issues, too. It's mostly gone away since I"ve completed the c25k, BUT I make it a priority to stretch the hell out of it before and after runs AND once or twice during the day on the days I don't run and it has helped immensely. I actually had to go to PT for the AT a few years back. There's two stretches I do that really help -- I'll do my best to describe them for you, if you're interested; if not, skip this part :-)
    1. Stand facing a wall, hands on the wall at shoulder level. Legs shoulder width apart, One leg in front the other behind about a foot or two. It's similar to the calf stretch that you have probably seen people do, except you bend your knee slightly on the back leg and jut your pelvis forward, like a pelvis thrust. You should start feeling the pull on the tendon then. That's the one I got from my PT.
    2. This one I got from the Runners World web site. Sitting on your bum with both feet extended in front of you. Bring the leg you want to strech towards you, knee bent, with the heel on the ground as close to your tushie as you can manage. Take both hands and lace them under the ball of your foot and pull towards you. At the RW web site, there's illustrations to help if my descriptions are horrid.

Hope that helps. I will say that my body went thru a lot of protestations during the C25k; you just have to decide which kind of pain is one that you shouldn't be pushing through and taking a break.
  • DallasLeann
    Options
    I have also just started the c25k program. I stretch after my warm-up and do calf dips on the back of the treadmill. I then put my toes together and heels apart and lift a few times. Then heels together toes apart and lift. I then resume the program. After, I stretch again. My lower legs are still tight but not painful.
  • Mamapengu
    Mamapengu Posts: 250
    Options
    I'd back off your runs a bit, Achilles injuries can take time to heal. ice after your run, stretch slowly before, a few times a day stand on a stool with your toes, lift one leg off and drop your other heal down, hold it a few seconds then lower your other foot and use both to bring your feet back up until you are standing on your toes, then repeat pull your one leg off and lower the other till it's dropped below the level of the stool and stretches... (hold onto the wall while you are doing this!) Wear shoes around the house to lift your heal up a little, this lets the tendon rest, you can also add a very small pad under your heal if you are wearing flats at work to do the same thing. If you get a sharp pain, or it gets worse- go have it checked.
    Hope it gets better soon!