Couch to 5K Week 4.....who knew

Options
So I have a story that I must share for all those beginning runners.

I have never ever been a runner. I did not really believe I could do it. Well on my March 18, I tried to run and it was a complete disaster. I thought I was going to vomit when I ran one minute.

Well my wonderful MFP family turned me onto Couch to 5K. I downloaded the ap and tried again. I was determined not to have this thing beat me.

I am on week 4 and I have worked up to running 5 minutes. That was the longest yet. I thought I would cry.

Well I was curious what would happened without it, so today I was on an off day and I wanted to see if how long I could run without it.

So I got on the treadmill, walked 5 and then started running.

I did 7 minutes running, another 5 minutes walking. Then I turned off the time where I could not see it. I ran 10 minutes. I wanted to cry. So it is really working.

I felt I must share, because this application really works. So for all you beginners get the ap for your phone.

Replies

• Hype
    Hype Posts: 349
    Options
    Thats fab!!!! I am well jealous, but on my way to that too i hope! I have an ap thats 4 weeks to a mile - i am hoping i will have the same impact! Thanks for showing me there is hope! =)
  • hazeyskyy
    hazeyskyy Posts: 25
    Options
    I'm so glad you posted this! I downloaded the ap earlier today! I can't wait to get started! Running has always been a challenge for me.... I'm more of an water-sport type gal. Congrats on your accomplishment!!
  • MissAnjy
    MissAnjy Posts: 2,480 Member
    Options
    I started this on Monday so today was my day 2 of the program. I'm still somewhat struggling to run the 1 minute sprints. Monday was actually easier than today because I did the C25K right after I finished my CLX so I was already tired. Next time i'm going to try to break it up so I can recover in between.

I'm hoping by the end I can run for the 30 minutes but that seems SOOOOOOOOO steep!! I can hardly run 1-2 minutes at a time right now .... 30? CRAZY!!
  • amyrc12
    amyrc12 Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    I am on week 3 of C25K... and when she said "3 minutes" this week - I freaked out a little inside... ok... a LOT.
    Before I knew it - it was over! Luckily no one was around b/c I actually pumped a fist in victory b/c I was still alive!

I cheat - and listen ahead .. dumb idea.. b/c knowing I have a 5 minute run next week scares the poo out of me!
    But I will do it - and be surprised and proud of myself all over again. It's like a new NSV every week - what an ego boost!!

I LOVE seeing all of these posts with other C25K-ers that love it as much as I do!! Keep it up Peeps!! : )
    We Rock!!
  • iamhealingmyself
    iamhealingmyself Posts: 579 Member
    Options
    What does the app do that reading the plan online doesn't? Considering you have to pay for it ($10 I think) I'd like to know how it's different or how it works with the information online. From what I read the plans are available online for free.
  • StaceyL76
    StaceyL76 Posts: 711 Member
    Options
    Way to Go! You are doing it, just that is terrific!
  • Cnava01
    Cnava01 Posts: 37
    Options
    Thank you so much for the info!! This is great and I am downloading an app as we speak.

I have been working from several different plans in MS Word but it will be easier to have it all in my phone.

Keep up the good work! :)
  • heymommy0
    heymommy0 Posts: 54
    Options
    I am on week 3 I just did day 2 today and I am amazed at how I well I am doing at it, I love it so much. I love hearing stories of others that are doing the same thing. Keep up the great work
  • LynnBirchfield
    LynnBirchfield Posts: 580 Member
    Options
    So....at what speeds do you think you all run?
  • jcott28
    jcott28 Posts: 16
    Options
    Good to see others using this. I noticed a friend of mine on here doing a lot of walking/running and noticed his numbers kept going up. He told me he was using the same app. So I downloaded it today and plan on giving it a go! Good to see others have had success as well.
  • hush7hush
    hush7hush Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options
    I'm doing the program without the app for my phone.
    Just following the plan. :)
  • kate1975
    kate1975 Posts: 31
    Options
    What's the app called ???
  • akaMrsmojo
    akaMrsmojo Posts: 762 Member
    Options
    What does the app do that reading the plan online doesn't? Considering you have to pay for it ($10 I think) I'd like to know how it's different or how it works with the information online. From what I read the plans are available online for free.

On my phone, it tells me when to walk, run, walk and cool down. It keeps me focused and it keeps me from looking at the clock constantly. I can also listen the music. For my Iphone it was 2.99 and totally worth it. Every week you complete, it ups the game.
  • AdamATGATT
    AdamATGATT Posts: 573 Member
    Options

$10? Mine was $3.

My app gives me audio alerts on when the warmup is done, when to run / walk, and then the cooldown and finish. For a whole $1 more, it tracks my cadence / pace, and gives me a map of where I ran afterwards, along with my time average speed per mile. All while I walk/jog/run to my own music.

I never would have known that yesterday, during W1D1, I covered 2.5 miles in 30 minutes. I LOVE that app.
  • CaptainGordo
    CaptainGordo Posts: 4,437 Member
    Options
    Congrats!

I'm on Week 7 right now. Just wait... it only gets more amazing!

Allow me to share two pieces of advice, based on hard lessons I learned this morning:

1) Do NOT run two days in a row. I ran Mon, Tue and then today. Big mistake. My legs were worn out and I sucked.
    2) Hydrate well on rest days. I wasn't able to yesterday, and it made things tougher this morning.

GO GET 'EM!
  • BrentGetsFit
    BrentGetsFit Posts: 878 Member
    Options

The app i use was only like $2 with a $1 in-app option to enable GPS. I use an app so I don't have to think, I just do what the lady in my phone tells me to do. It mutes my music when it gives prompts. The GPS option allows for accurate split times as well as pacing info and ties into Google maps. I also like the auto-publish to Facebook and Twitter options.

I got to week 7 of C25k and got a wild hair and registered for and ran my first 5k. I always hated running but this app/program was so gradual, before I knew it I was a runner :)
  • AdamATGATT
    AdamATGATT Posts: 573 Member
    Options
    And MrsMojo...congrats! That's quite an accomplishment. You should be very proud of yourself! Goodluck with the rest of the program. You're doing awesome.

And goodluck to the rest of ya's.
  • akaMrsmojo
    akaMrsmojo Posts: 762 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the support, I am really on a high right now.

If anyone needs any support, add me. I just cannot even believe it.
  • BrentGetsFit
    BrentGetsFit Posts: 878 Member
    Options
    What's the app called ???

The one I use is called C25K and has a green logo of a guy running. I previously used once called "Couch to 5k" but it doesn't have the GPS option. It has a brown 5k logo
  • TheGoktor
    TheGoktor Posts: 1,138 Member
    Options
    So I have a story that I must share for all those beginning runners.

I have never ever been a runner. I did not really believe I could do it. Well on my March 18, I tried to run and it was a complete disaster. I thought I was going to vomit when I ran one minute.

Well my wonderful MFP family turned me onto Couch to 5K. I downloaded the ap and tried again. I was determined not to have this thing beat me.

I am on week 4 and I have worked up to running 5 minutes. That was the longest yet. I thought I would cry.

Well I was curious what would happened without it, so today I was on an off day and I wanted to see if how long I could run without it.

So I got on the treadmill, walked 5 and then started running.

I did 7 minutes running, another 5 minutes walking. Then I turned off the time where I could not see it. I ran 10 minutes. I wanted to cry. So it is really working.

I felt I must share, because this application really works. So for all you beginners get the ap for your phone.

That's really inspirational - thank you! My partner and I are starting C25K tomorrow morning, and honestly, I know I am going to feel like I am going to die...but I'm going to get through it and persevere! Thank you for sharing your experiences. :flowerforyou: