Fruit and veggie carbs VS whole grain carbs?

Options
Any benefits from eating Strictly Fruit and Vegetable carbs vs Whole grains carbs?

Replies

• srp2011
    srp2011 Posts: 1,829 Member
    Options
    You really need both to be healthy and to get a balance of nutrients. Other than that, carbs are essentially carbs. The biggest difference between them is the amount of fiber associated, which affects the time it takes for the sugars/starches to be released into the bloodstream. More fiber equals slower release.
  • amdrummer02
    amdrummer02 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    From what I've read fruit carbs and whole grain carbs usually mean more sugar and veggies usually don't contain as much sugar. I'm sure there are other differences too but that's one that I know of.
  • ashley0616
    ashley0616 Posts: 579 Member
    Options
    Depends on the fiber and sugar intake of any particular fruit, veggie, or whole grain. Basically you want the most fiber and least sugar for your carb count, but a balanced diet is the best. Berries with whole wheat toast and a spinach omelette is a great, balanced breakfast that packs protein, fiber, minimal sugar, and good carbs. (for example)
  • iamhealingmyself
    iamhealingmyself Posts: 579 Member
    Options
    If your watching carbs for diabetic reasons you'll need to know the glycemic impact on your blood sugar as well as the overall carb/sugar counts.
  • CrimsonWife
    Options
    Read either "The Paleo Diet Solution" by Dr. Loren Cordain or "The Primal Blueprint" by Mark Sisson as both those books go into great detail about why whole grains are problematic. You can get an overview here: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/why-grains-are-unhealthy/
  • CrimsonWife
    Options
    You really need both to be healthy and to get a balance of nutrients.

Untrue. Grains are a very recent development in the history of the human body (only the past 10,000 years or so). Humans can be perfectly healthy eating just animal proteins, veggies, fruit, and nuts & seeds.