NSV - I didn't die.

Options
SabrinaJL
SabrinaJL Posts: 1,579 Member
My husband and I signed up for the MWR Bay Bridge run/walk, which happens on May 15th. I'm definitely walking it as I've only been doing c25k for 6 weeks and I'm not ready for a 4 mile run. Yet. I'm not nervous about a 4 mile walk. That's easy enough. The thing that makes me nervous is the incline up the bridge.

bridge.jpg

There are some pretty steep hills around here and yesterday, my husband decided we're going to start walking up and down them every day. I, being the drama queen that I am, whined about it and said I was going to die. My husband said, "You'll be fine." Well, we did it and other than being quite sweaty (it was warm and he made me do it at 4 in the afternoon) I was barely even breathing hard. My 17 year old couldn't keep up. My husband's response was, "See? I knew you could to it." It's nice to have someone who believes in you even when you don't believe in yourself.

Also, I noticed today while doing 30DS that it's getting harder to keep my heart rate up. I know that's an NSV but it's also kind of irritating because I'm lazy and don't want to have to work harder. :laugh:

Replies

• dragonflydi
    dragonflydi Posts: 665 Member
    Options
    WOW! Good for you, what a great goal and how gorgeous is that view to take in at the same time! You will do just great! I bet you could even run a good portion of it ... or even do a run/walk interval for the entire race! Do I dare say "I dare you to try" ;)
  • eeeekie
    eeeekie Posts: 1,011 Member
    Options
    YOU CAN DO IT!!!

Omg it's so weird. As a young teenager one of my "bucket list" dreams was to ride a bike over that bridge. I was told that you can only enter the bridge by car though =\
  • stenochick
    stenochick Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    Wow, that bridge makes it look really scary to walk up!!! I've decided I'm going to start training on Laurel Street. Run up one block at a time. There's one block that I swear is a 45 degree angle. Everyone's cars bottom out there unless you're going 5 mph. That'll be interesting. Maybe I'll see you at the race!

PS -- GREAT HUSBAND!!!
  • TS65
    TS65 Posts: 1,024 Member
    Options
    FUN! I lived in Coronado for 8 years. I know that bridge well! Have a GREAT time. Walk some, run some, walk some more - most importantly, you're doing it! Good job!
  • SabrinaJL
    Options
    Thanks, all. :flowerforyou:

eeeekie, the website calls it "Your only chance to cross the Coronado bridge on foot."

stenochick, I went with a friend to the NEX yesterday and we were sitting outside at Starbucks. The seat I picked had a perfect view of the bridge and I totally had an "Oh crap, what have I done" moment. :laugh:
  • Tissues
    Tissues Posts: 361 Member
    Options
    thats a fantastic achievement :)

and on the 30 day shred I really have to switch up the levels to keep my heart rate up :smile:

GREAT JOB! :drinker:
  • TS65
    TS65 Posts: 1,024 Member
    Options
    eeeekie, the website calls it "Your only chance to cross the Coronado bridge on foot."

This is soooooo wrong, but one of the first thoughts when I saw the picture was "God I hope no one uses it as a chance to jump." *eye roll* One of my biggest memories of living there is how often the bridge would be shut down due to jumpers.

Are you at 32nd street or over on Cornado (NAB or NASNI)? I worked at NASNI for 3 years at the NLSO detachment.
  • Jorra
    Jorra Posts: 3,338 Member
    Options
    I understand your hatred of hills. My college campus is perched on the highest point in the county. However, the gym is at the bottom of the hill! The last thing I want to do after a workout is climb up that hill. It's kept me from going to the gym many times in the past, but no more!
  • SabrinaJL
    Options
    Good for you, Jorra!

TS65, my husband is currently at 32nd St, but was at North Island from 2001-2003.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!