Biggest Loser Contest? Nah! Get Fit Contest!

icecolecarl
icecolecarl Posts: 4
edited September 26 in Health and Weight Loss
6 Months ago I won a Biggest Loser contest at my job among 27 participants. ($20 entry fee) I lost 14% of my starting wiegh in weight (29 pounds) in 8 weeks. From day one I was confident I would win. Why? Because I knew if I pushed myself to do more cardio and reduce my calorie intake a little more than I normally would, I would lose enough weight in 3 to 4 weeks to discourage more than 75% of the participants to continue trying, since they would have hardly any shot at the grand prize. Kinda mean huh?? It was just down to 3 of us at the end. Everyone else seemed to pretty much give up. Well, I didn't like the way the contest was ran. It shouldn't be a winner take all. (Oh, 2nd was $40 and 3rd was $20...WOW! So it was like a winner take all contest) I hated that so many gave up and I started feeling like I was taking their money, which should not be the goal of the contest.
So I created my own contest with help from a co-worker. I call it the Get Fit Motivational contest where everyone recieves something at the end. It is $20 to join the goal is for every participant to lose 7% of their starting weigh in weight in 12 weeks. (A fairly attainable goal for most) At the end of the contest everyone who reaches the 7% goal splits the pot. So if all participants lost 7% or more, all would get their $20 back. So its not a winner take all contest, but a contest that encourages all participating to work towards the same goal. And to make things better, we took $5 out of each entry fee and purcased $5 Subway gift cards so that at the end of the contest everyone recieves a gift card whether they reach the 7% goal or not. There is no big pot winner here. We jave about 20 participants weigh in and it starts this week. I'm excited. That is, unless no one hits 7%... Ha, that won't happen!

Replies

• aunt_hbomb
    aunt_hbomb Posts: 204
    That's a great idea. A group of us are doing a biggest loser contest right now and it is a winner take all event. Some of us are talking about doing it again after the 8 weeks are up, but I think this might be the perfect altnerative. Especially since most of us have lost our initial water weight and the "losing" has begun to slow down.

Thanks for the inspiration.
  • spackham
    spackham Posts: 252 Member
    Great idea! That is what it really should be all about! It's about exercise and eating well. I have thought about a contest to see who can go the longest without eating out. Or the longest to go without any type of dessert. I honestly cannot think of any harder goals for me. It makes losing weight EASY compared to THOSE goals.
  • The great thing about this contest is that those who lose 6%, 5%, or 4% can still hold their heads up because at the end they still lost a percentage and it only cost them 15 bucks! Pounds they might not have lost by themselves. Now they can treat themselves to a Subway meal.
This discussion has been closed.