Shrinking Feet???

Options
Hi All,

I've been slowly losing nearly 50 lbs over the past couple of years, and am now around 144 lbs. (5 ft 4 inches). I don't have a goal weight - just kind of going with the flow and will let my body decide when it is done. I'm enjoying the looser clothes (I'm wearing 6/8 down from 16/18), however noticed my feet have recently started to get smaller!

I've ALWAYS been a perfect 8 1/2 - even in my skinnier days (when I weighed less than I do now.) Now my shoes are slipping and sliding all over the place - NOT a good thing because I was happy with my 8 1/2 feet and shoes! Has anyone else experienced this? How much did your feet shrink? And the stupid question - how can I get my hips to shrink not my feet, lol???

Replies

• MFS27
    MFS27 Posts: 549 Member
    Options
    Hi All,

I've been slowly losing nearly 50 lbs over the past couple of years, and am now around 144 lbs. (5 ft 4 inches). I don't have a goal weight - just kind of going with the flow and will let my body decide when it is done. I'm enjoying the looser clothes (I'm wearing 6/8 down from 16/18), however noticed my feet have recently started to get smaller!

I've ALWAYS been a perfect 8 1/2 - even in my skinnier days (when I weighed less than I do now.) Now my shoes are slipping and sliding all over the place - NOT a good thing because I was happy with my 8 1/2 feet and shoes! Has anyone else experienced this? How much did your feet shrink? And the stupid question - how can I get my hips to shrink not my feet, lol???
  • Razboo
    Razboo Posts: 439 Member
    Options
    I'll paste in part of something I posted earlier today:

...Fat is lost throughout the body in a pattern dependent upon genetics, sex (hormones), and age. Overall body fat must be reduced to lose fat in any particular area. Although fat is lost or gained throughout the body it seems the the first area to get fat, or the last area to become lean, is the midsection (in men and some women, especially after menopause) and hips and thighs (in women and few men).... -From "The Spot Reduction Myth" http://exrx.net/WeightTraining/Myths.html#anchor7319578

I think it applies in the sense that your feet are a part of your body, too! Fat gets all over us. Although it focuses on particular areas as described in the above quote, it still gets all over. I can only conclude this would mean your feet as well :smile:

Believe it or not, I think my head got smaller (no obvious jokes, please). :laugh: Seriously. I wear hats pretty snug for wind resistance, but they are all a little looser now.
  • lotusfromthemud
    lotusfromthemud Posts: 5,335 Member
    Options
    I had to give all my 8s away, and now wear a 7 1/2.

I think it might also have to do with more weight/pressure on your feet? But, I think Razbo has a point, too.
  • filergirl
    Options
    I went from a size 7 to a 6.5 . . .
  • diannholland1965
    diannholland1965 Posts: 782 Member
    Options
    I posted something of this nature about 2 weeks ago :smile:
    YES your feet ARE shrinking.
    Which means that you have to go out and buy new shoes to go with that new outfit. :bigsmile:
    As one wrote on my post.
    MOMMA NEEDS A NEW PAIR OF SHOES!!
    WOO HOO!!!:bigsmile:
    --Diann...
  • yoginimary
    yoginimary Posts: 6,784 Member
    Options
    Just take yoga - your feet will go right back up. I'm not kidding. The consciousness of spreading your feet will usually make people go up half to a full size. I was a 9 when I started, now I'm a 9.5 sometimes 10.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,042 Member
    Options
    I'm not too happy with this fact. I've been buying shoes like a crazy woman - just waiting until I can buy new clothes.

:ohwell: Oh well - I live in Seattle: people here wear socks with their sandals and shorts.

cm
  • Nich0le
    Nich0le Posts: 2,906 Member
    Options
    Well, my feet grew during pregnancy, didn't help that I gained about 100 lbs. I went from a wonderful size 8.5 up to a whopping size 12...let me tell you it isn't easy finding good shoes for a womans gigantic foot.

However, as I have lost weight my feet have gotten smaller along with my *kitten*. I am now down to a respectable gigantic size of a 10.5, but have to buy 11 because after size 9.5 there are no longer 1/2 sizes available.

Look at it this way, you might find a lot more shoes on sale now that your foot is getting smaller!

Upgrade!
  • valerie33
    valerie33 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    YEAH!! i am sooo happy to hear this!! i have been wondering if this would happen, my feet went up in size with each of my 2 pregnancy's as now that i am loosing weight i was wondering if my feet would go down in size at all! this is music to my ears. maybe at some point my feet also will shrink down a bit.
  • SpeSHul_SnoflEHk
    SpeSHul_SnoflEHk Posts: 6,256 Member
    Options
    I definitely lost a half size. Same thing as you, I started out with an 8.5. I had worn 8,5s since i was 16. Now I am an 8.
  • doitforme1987
    Options
    I haven't even lost very much and I noticed my feet shrinking. Last summer I got new boots (required around here in summer to avoid sharp things, bugs, and having your feet smashed by horses!). I was frustrated to find I needed a 9EE in MEN (not a man...).

Then a few weeks ago I noticed them slipping a bit. Now they're really loose. Hopefully the next pair will be in the 7-7.5 range (in Mens, I can't wear woman's shoes, never wide enough).
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,742 Member
    Options
    I haven't really had this issue myself. I have always had weirdly small feet for my big 5'8" body though (7-8 but often 7.5 shoe). When I was at my absolute heaviest weight for a short time (307) I had issues with ankles swelling so I was limited on "cute" sandals and often bought them in 8.5 but I have not had those issues since I got back down to like 280 and below (now 194 lb). My feet do not seem to be smaller or more narrow now than 70 lb ago.

My husband has really experienced this, though. I can't remember the exact sizes but I know when he was a teen and in his early 20's he had to buy his big, super-wide shoes from special retailers (like men's big & tall) and also had very flat feet -- now from his weight loss and exercise he has arches and a fairly average width foot and can buy shoes most places, even though he's still a bit of a difficult fit.
  • AnninStPaul
    AnninStPaul Posts: 1,372 Member
    Options
    double post, oops
  • AnninStPaul
    AnninStPaul Posts: 1,372 Member
    Options
    Well, my feet grew during pregnancy, didn't help that I gained about 100 lbs. I went from a wonderful size 8.5 up to a whopping size 12...let me tell you it isn't easy finding good shoes for a womans gigantic foot.

However, as I have lost weight my feet have gotten smaller along with my *kitten*. I am now down to a respectable gigantic size of a 10.5, but have to buy 11 because after size 9.5 there are no longer 1/2 sizes available.

Look at it this way, you might find a lot more shoes on sale now that your foot is getting smaller!

Upgrade!

Nordstrom and Zappos have more 1/2 sizes.