150 cals of gum a day?

Options
I eat 2,000 cals a day. 150 of them come from sugar free gum. Is this really bad? lately i have been eating 2-3 packs a day. I am 5'5 female 126 pounds. 20 years old. Could the Aspartme in the gum be the reason why I have a few extra pounds on my tummy/love handles? i cant think of what else it could be.. i work out everyday.. idk.. I am addicted to gum. I have to chew atleast 2 packs a day :/

Replies

• songbyrdsweet
    songbyrdsweet Posts: 5,691 Member
    Options
    Are you actually eating it?
  • runner915
    runner915 Posts: 106
    Options
    I'm addicted to gum too! I go through like a pack of it a day and I thought that was bad. I don't really like having that much artificial sweetner stuff in a day, but I feel like otherwise I would be eating nonstop. I've read that aspartame makes you crave other sweets though because it tricks your body into thinking you are getting sugar, but then you aren't actually getting any. That is why I am trying to cut back. Plus I chew obnoxiously and I'm sure I drive the people around me nuts :/
  • bayabaya
    bayabaya Posts: 52
    Options
    I try to spit it out as much as possible, but i do swallow.
  • SamiePuente
    Options
    Chewing gum actually makes you bloated.
    I used to chew 1-2 packs a day, I know it's hard to stop.
    It's bad for you in excess, maybe trying cutting down for a while and see how you feel.
  • Angeladobush
    Angeladobush Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    My thought is this......I don't know if it is bad or not but I am a firm believer in "everything in moderation"
  • Jmartinturner
    Jmartinturner Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    chewing gum is okay to help get that "sweet" in, but the bad thing is, chewing gum makes you take in air into your stomach causing you to bloat, and what you are doing by chewing so much is almost like someone smoking cigarettes so they don't eat. It's like OCD. You need to figure out why you are chewing (like when people eat ice) it's a sign of stress. You may want to start a diary, if you don't have time to write, use the record mode on your cell phone and just take some time while driving or at lunch and talk, let your mind work out some things, and maybe you'll feel more calm. You can also go talk to your pastor or a counselor. We have a tendency to be able to "handle" a lot, but our bodies end up telling us a different story! on the other side of things, artificial sweetners can make you feel bloated and crave foods because it gives your body a false trigger that it's taking in sugar and when it can't find it, it will make you hunt it down!