Ice Cream: the psychological battle

Options
Hello everyone!

I need a little perspective. So, I started out today right, completing a quick 15 min cardio video before even beginning my day. I ate well but then ended up eating too many carbs/calories for dinners. Yet, I still feel hungry and REALLY REALLY want my favorite ice cream mixture which amounts to 520 calories. I know that I could go satisfy my craving with a yogurt sorbet, but I really want my fav ice cream.

In short, is it worth it? With the ice cream, I'd be hitting about 2,000 calories for the day instead of 1200. How much is this one-day over indulgence going to effect my weigh-in Monday morning? Decisions, decisions.

Let me know if you've experienced this and what you did. I'm totally undecided.

Replies

• summer_anne
    Options
    I'd say skip it and save it for tomorrow or another day where you can work it into your calorie goal for the day...
  • Aesop101
    Aesop101 Posts: 758 Member
    Options
    I'd say skip it and save it for tomorrow or another day where you can work it into your calorie goal for the day...

Ditto!
  • amymrls
    amymrls Posts: 1,673 Member
    Options
    Why don't you satisfy your craving by having half your normal serving of icecream then you satisfy your craving with half the calories.
  • bjenny12345
    bjenny12345 Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    Can you have half the amount so it's only like 250 calories??? I would hate to say don't do it and you eat it anyways without a plan....
  • luppic8
    luppic8 Posts: 580 Member
    Options
    I was recently introduced to Menchie's Frozen yogurt. I am hooked! It's only about 70 calories for about 3-4 oz plus you can top it with fresh fruit and other low fat topping. Don't eat the ice cream, because you will regret it later.
  • fallenexoh
    Options
    I literally just had this battle 5 minutes ago. Klondike bar, 250-260 calories, or Edy's fruit bar, 80 calories. I only had 95 calories left for the day. I decided to be good and eat my fruit sorbet bar, and it was delicious and I am super satisfied :)
  • juniperbear
    Options
    Hi, I can very much relate to the ice cream issue. I've tried everything to no over indulge and now I've made the decision that Ice cream does not come into my house anymore, well the ice cream that I can eat. I will treat myself when I'm out. I NEVER win with ice cream. But I do like the idea of half the serving if you do decide to go for it. Hang in there.
  • lizzycomp
    lizzycomp Posts: 64
    Options
    I bought lower calorie "ice cream" treats. So Delicious 90 cal ice cream sandwiches and Diana's Banana Babies in the Dark Chocolate. Both taste goo d and satisfy that ice cream craving without being too detrimental on my food diary. When I do want to indulge... I work out extra. This has worked for me so far and my weight loss has been steady since I started. Hope this helps. Good luck!:smile:
  • crrc78
    crrc78 Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    If your ice cream special is something you make at home, try putting it into a smaller bowl, or even a fancy glass like a martini glass, so you only eat 1/2 as others have suggested. I think my ice cream with jimmies and whipped cream is down to 200 cals. Good luck with your decision.
  • Drealicious
    Options
    yeah i would eat half..and just think about it its not that youll instattly gain weight from giving in to it, its creating a habit that is unbreakable. you need to try and break the habit of wanting to staisfy cravings, otherwise, it will be neverending. remember: moderation is key!
  • DarlingThief
    DarlingThief Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    I agree with eating half of a serving. Sometime you just really want the one thing, but maybe less of it would still satisfy your craving and keep you on track
  • Danidelion
    Options
    skinny cow, it's low cal and delicious!
  • jolarocknrolla
    jolarocknrolla Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    me, i like to go "cold turkey" on sweets, if i have some i'll want MORE ... this half-serving idea is great in theory but crap in practice, at least for me, perhaps you are made of sterner stuff.

what's more important right now? the icecream or losing weight? that's something you have to figure out for yourself.
  • jgaht
    jgaht Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the feedback you guys! I've decided to stick with a caramel pudding cup (60 cals) and then exercise again to get back under my goal for the day. Then, the bf has promised to split half a serving of the ice cream with me at coldstone this weekend for a treat.

Thanks for all the support! It really does help. :-)