How accurate is calorie out count?

Options
I feel like MFP overestimates the number of calories I burn during my work out. Granted, it takes more calories for my body to do work than others...but today I spent 15 min on the elliptical and 22 minutes biking and it states I burned over 800 calories. The machines at the gym came in at about 400 calories. Who do I believe???

Thank you for your help!

Replies

• t_rog
    t_rog Posts: 363 Member
    Options
    From my experience, it DEFINITELY overestimates calories burned. After getting a heart rate monitor a few days, I found that the machines are pretty accurate. So go with the machine numbers!
  • DarlingThief
    DarlingThief Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    I believe that the gym count is more accurate. On average, you should burn 100 cals per 10 mins of cardio. Until you get a HRM, I would go with what the machines say.
  • skinnyjeanzbound
    skinnyjeanzbound Posts: 3,932 Member
    Options
    go with the machine--it knows your age and weight PLUS your speed, incline, and resistance level :)
  • Angela4Health
    Angela4Health Posts: 1,319 Member
    Options
    I would go by what MFP calculates if you don't have an HRM. It will overestimate in some areas and it will underestimate in others, but there's not much you can do about it without having an HRM to know the exact calories burned.
  • rebysue
    rebysue Posts: 136
    Options
    The best thing to do is get yourself a heart rate monitor. It will track your actual calories burned. They are a bit of an investment but WELL worth every penny!
  • fteale
    fteale Posts: 5,310 Member
    Options
    I don't see how you can have burned 800 cals in that time. I burn 700 per hour running at my fastest pace.
  • rachyrach1234
    Options
    maybe YOUR overestimating how intense your workout is cuz i do the same thing and it NEVER says i burned over 800 calories in 30 min.
  • Jayni40
    Jayni40 Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    I would go with the machines at the gym .I'm guessing those machine was calculating your heart rate. They would be more accurate MFP overestimates for me all the time. I have a HR monitor and there is always a big difference where as the gym machines are just about the same as my HR.
  • vanb0052
    vanb0052 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    I want to get a HRM, but as I stated I'm a big girl and I don't think the bands will fit around me yet. The only reason I worry is because we're told to eat back our calories for exercising and I don't want to eat too many.
  • donicagalek
    donicagalek Posts: 526
    Options
    On average, you should burn 100 cals per 10 mins of cardio.

THIS! If you're morbidly obese it will be probably closer to 13 or 14 cals/min. And this is if you're not calling it in - you have to be starting to break sweat. If you're not breaking sweat at least 5-10 minutes in and you feel as though you should be - hydrate! I learned that the other week. :-/
  • elliecolorado
    elliecolorado Posts: 1,040
    Options
    It depends on the machine. If it is one that you put your weight and age into then the machine is probably pretty accurate because it takes into account that information, plus your speed/resistance. However my elliptical at home doesn't have the option to put in any information so it gives the same number of calories burned for anyone using it no matter what their size. MFP doesn't take into account the speed (at least on the elliptical) or the resistance. I usually just average the numbers on the machine with the numbers on MFP to be on the safe side, personally I'd rather estimate on the low side.
  • vanb0052
    vanb0052 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    The elliptical machine will let me put in my accurate age and weight, while the bike only goes up to 350.
  • msmindyf
    msmindyf Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    my numbers from mfp haven't been far off from my hrm, but that is only with doing zumba..i would only rely on a hrm for a more accurate number.
  • CorinthiaB
    CorinthiaB Posts: 488 Member
    Options
    I think you should go with MFP. If it is overestimating, I think it will balance itself out. Being that you are a big girl you will burn more calories than say someone much smaller. To be on the safe side only eat half of your calories burned. Allowing room for error. That is what I would do.
  • tobitude
    tobitude Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    What you need to understand that with our size we will definately burn more calories than say someone that is half our size, essentially we are working out with weights just happens to be weights we cant take off. I agree if you are concerned try using a heart rate monitor. As we lose weight our calories burned will reduce dramatically, any excercise I do I burn at a high rate.

Just trying to help ya out!!