Vacation - help!!!

Options
So in a little over three weeks I have an 11 day long vacation coming up (thank you, thank you, thank you GOD!!!). I'm a bit nervous as I want to keep up with my nutrition and exercise. Thinking I'll take workout clothes with me and go for walks/jogs and keep my MFP app always on! We're staying at a lake house so we're probably going to make at least two out of three of our daily meals on a regular basis the whole time which will also help. Thinking of stocking up on some fresh fruit and veggies once we get there. Anyone else have any advice on surviving the pitfalls of vacation?? I'm simultaneously chomping at the bit to be off of work for a while, yet don't want to destroy my hard-earned progress!!

Replies

• charityateet
    charityateet Posts: 576 Member
    Options
    Hey sugar, I'm going on vaca soon too! My plan is to bring my portable dvd player and my videos - light set of weights - running shoes - ipod - workout clothes.

We are staying in a rental too, so I'll have control of what goes in the fridge for when we cook there, but I'm not going to lie - the reason I'm planning on working out on vaction is so I can eat and drink!

Relax, have fun!
  • jvfletcher
    jvfletcher Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    pack some filling but healthy snacks...rice cake with peanut butter and banana is delicious or almonds or whole grain goldfish or mandarin oranges. Bring whole grain pasta and make a large pasta salad that will last awhile I make mine with balsamic vinegar, feta, peppers, parsley, canadian bacon, and worstisere sauce (cant spell :)

Do crunches and stretches each morning to boost motivation and energy.
    Stay away from empty calories like soda and fancy mixed drinks.
    If you do drink, stick to lower claorie options :)

Good luck! and enjoy!
  • onvacation
    onvacation Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Good luck! I just got back from a week long cruise and didn't do as well as i hoped! I ate kind of well but didn't exercise as much as I had planned! Had more drinks than planned also! Oh well, it was fun and I'm back on track now! I think it helps if you are traveling with people with similar goals to yours!

Have a great vacation!
    Kim
  • lisapickering
    Options
    I went to Florida a couple of weeks ago. My advice....

1. Try and workout most days -- do it first thing in the morning if you can, it's much harder to motivate yourself on vacation then at home!
    2. Try and eat at least breakfast and lunch healthy -- if you are making your own food that helps
    3. If you go out for dinner make smart choices but enjoy
    4. Enjoy your trip... don't obsess about it! It's only 11 days you can work really hard before and after to fix any negative impact! :smile:
  • chrissyv1024
    chrissyv1024 Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    I completely agree.. 1-4!

Do your workouts first thing in the AM... the sunrise on the lake will most likely be lovely!!! you should also try taking walks after dinner.
    Don't stress about it. Enjoy yourself.. we ALL need time away.
    I went to Florida a couple of weeks ago. My advice....

1. Try and workout most days -- do it first thing in the morning if you can, it's much harder to motivate yourself on vacation then at home!
    2. Try and eat at least breakfast and lunch healthy -- if you are making your own food that helps
    3. If you go out for dinner make smart choices but enjoy
    4. Enjoy your trip... don't obsess about it! It's only 11 days you can work really hard before and after to fix any negative impact! :smile:
  • nebraskadan
    Options
    I'll try not to drink TOO many beers, babe. We can go for walks in the morning if you want!
  • sassylilmama
    sassylilmama Posts: 1,495 Member
    Options
    Was just coming to post this same question. Looking forward to any additional ideas as well.