Too much protein?

wishup2thestars
wishup2thestars Posts: 5
edited September 26 in Food and Nutrition
I went over on protein and that led me to wonder: is there a thing as too much protein? I mean, I know if you go WAY over, then yes but... well...anyone?

Replies

• Most Americans get WAY more protein than necessary. You really just need 0.8 grams per kilogram of body weight (kilograms = pounds divided by 2.2). So if you weight 150 then 150/2.2 = 68 kg x 0.8 g = 55 grams of protein needed per day.

But as for too much - as long as you don't go overboard (and you don't have kidney problems!) you're probably fine. Lots of protein, as in a low carb diet is actually pretty taxing on the kidneys.
  • gp79
    gp79 Posts: 1,799 Member
    I might heed the warnings of high protein diets if that's what you maintained for years and years, at high levels. A little over or a day here and there isn't going to kill you I don't think. Then again, that's just me applying common sense, I'm by no means an expert on the matter.
  • harley0269
    harley0269 Posts: 384 Member
    Dr Oz was just talking about that today on his show. he said too much animal protein is not good for you, it can cause cancer. (that includes eggs & dairy...if it has a face or parents, then too much is bad).
    BUT plant protien is OK to go over on.
    go figure.
  • HerpDerp745
    HerpDerp745 Posts: 223 Member
    ...he said too much animal protein is not good for you, it can cause cancer. (that includes eggs & dairy...if it has a face or parents, then too much is bad).
    BUT plant protien is OK to go over on.

Thanks. I needed a good laugh.
  • From what some of my friends have said about fitnesspal's protein, it is on the low side. I happen to get Jillians email alerts (refuse to buy her program) and this last one was start the day on a strong note! Which included a 2 egg omelette for breakfast (with lowfat cheddar and onion? I think). If you are working out, running, etc, you need more protein. One of my friends has said something like
    For women it's roughly your weight in pounds multipled by .6, I've seen some people do it weight in pounds times .4 also.

This might help you.

Jennifer
  • HerpDerp745
    HerpDerp745 Posts: 223 Member
    Also OP, don't worry. More protein during fat loss will help you retain muscle. Evidence through studies (not Dr. Oz) shows less carb, more protein/fats lows your insulin levels.
  • MB_Positif
    MB_Positif Posts: 8,897 Member
    I recently read "Food Rules" by Michael Pollan and he said that meat should be a side dish as opposed to a main dish. I tend to go over on protein anyway, but I honestly feel my body craving it. That said, I have been trying to make more meals where I only use 1 or 2 of the big boneless chicken breasts that you get at the grocery store and cutting it into smaller pieces and end up with a lot of veggies and maybe a grain and get 4-6 servings out of it.
  • sweetheart03622
    sweetheart03622 Posts: 928 Member
    If you're using the standard MFP profiles and go over you have nothing to worry about. I have actually been switching my diet up so that I'm consuming MORE protein and trying to get my protein and my carbs to be within 50g of each other. It has really helped with my weight loss.
  • TiffanyW1014
    TiffanyW1014 Posts: 599 Member
    I am a 5'8 189 pound female and I normally try to get around 120g of protein a day. According to sites I have looked at that is kinda close but if I use the figures above it comes out to 68 grams per day. I feel the days I hit my protein I feel so much better and I love seeing the scale go down!
  • heathersmilez
    heathersmilez Posts: 2,579 Member
    MFP has it set too low like fiber which should be 25g minimum. Set protein io 20-30% of your day.

I try and eat 100g protein a day, I am 5'8, 138lbs.
  • funkythreads2004
    funkythreads2004 Posts: 51 Member
    I have started to ignore my protein level somewhat as if i went by this, i would never manage to eat all my calories in a day. Every day in the last 2 weeks i have been under calories, fat and carbs and over on protein. I have had now started to let proteins slip into the red or i would never get to eat anything and put my body into starvation mode. I eat constantly now, where as before i ate once a day, and gained weight once again due to starvation mode. I think as long as you dont go over your protein to much you will be ok, because you need to eat those calories, fats and carbs. I still find it really annoying that i go over on proteins, but im losing weight and feel healthy, so dont panic about going over a bit - good luck
This discussion has been closed.