Sugars too high...or not?

Options
Well, I just finished logging in my food for the day and I'm 27g over my sugar (supposed to be at 24 and total is now 51). BUT 39 of those were from: orange juice at breakfast, 1 banana morning snack, and 1 naval orange afternoon snack. Should I really worry about going over my sugars if it's coming from fruit?

I know I should know this by now, but...well, I don't.

Replies

• OomarianneoO
    OomarianneoO Posts: 689 Member
    Options
    Well, I just finished logging in my food for the day and I'm 27g over my sugar (supposed to be at 24 and total is now 51). BUT 39 of those were from: orange juice at breakfast, 1 banana morning snack, and 1 naval orange afternoon snack. Should I really worry about going over my sugars if it's coming from fruit?

I know I should know this by now, but...well, I don't.
  • roshong06
    roshong06 Posts: 196
    Options
    I don't know what to tell you, my food entry does not count sugars? I wonder why that is? I would think that if the sugar is coming from natural fruit than it should count differently, but I'm not sure...Good luck, I hope you find the answer.
  • roshong06
    roshong06 Posts: 196
    Options
    I don't know what to tell you, my food entry does not count sugars? I wonder why that is? I would think that if the sugar is coming from natural fruit than it should count differently, but I'm not sure...Good luck, I hope you find the answer.
  • truckgrl106
    Options
    Hi there,

Don't worry, I was wondering that as well...coz if you eat the 5 servings of fruit a day, that you are supposed to...its way over the sugar allotment. And some veg also has sugar.

I think you just have to go on whats healthy for you and ignore when you go over because of fruit...and take major note when you go over because you had 2 venti skinny caramel lattes to help you get thru an awful day at work! Not that I know or do anything like that!!:-):-)

Al.
  • heartshapdworld
    heartshapdworld Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    Last night I was quering the internet for a definate number on Sugars, and I couldn't find one. I am not quite sure there is one. From what I read it seems as if the kind of sugar was more important than the quanitity

I had orginally added sugar as one to track, but I deleted it when I couldn't find a hard number to use.
  • yoginimary
    yoginimary Posts: 6,784 Member
    Options
    Short answer - don't worry.

Long answer: The number of sugars (generally 40 or so) recommend allowance is supposed to be for added sugars. However, the sugar companies (and others) got the USDA to lump all sugars together on the labels, so there is no way to tell which are added sugars and which are naturally occurring. Maybe some day, the USDA will wise up and stop listening to lobbyist and change it's whole outlook. Right now, the USDA is supposed to encourage food business, so to show all sugars on a label would "hurt" those food businesses that add sugars to their food, apparently. An easy way to think about how much added sugar you are allowed a day? 10 teaspoons or 1 soda. This also includes sugar that is added to pasta sauce and cereal, but I was just giving an amount to think about.
  • OomarianneoO
    Options
    Short answer - don't worry.

Long answer: The number of sugars (generally 40 or so) recommend allowance is supposed to be for added sugars. However, the sugar companies (and others) got the USDA to lump all sugars together on the labels, so there is no way to tell which are added sugars and which are naturally occurring. Maybe some day, the USDA will wise up and stop listening to lobbyist and change it's whole outlook. Right now, the USDA is supposed to encourage food business, so to show all sugars on a label would "hurt" those food businesses that add sugars to their food, apparently. An easy way to think about how much added sugar you are allowed a day? 10 teaspoons or 1 soda. This also includes sugar that is added to pasta sauce and cereal, but I was just giving an amount to think about.

Thanks. I feel much better now. :smile: I've been tracking it and was wondering how on earth a person is supposed to get in all their fruits and veggies a day without going over. :noway: I can understand why the food industry wouldn't want to be forced to show how much sugar they add in their products - makes sense. But sooner or later, someone is going to have to realize that the public in general has a right to know these things. *sighs* Thanks for both the short and the long answer. :flowerforyou:
  • OomarianneoO
    Options
    ...I think you just have to go on whats healthy for you and ignore when you go over because of fruit...and take major note when you go over because you had 2 venti skinny caramel lattes to help you get thru an awful day at work! Not that I know or do anything like that!!:-):-)

Al.

I wouldn't know anything about that either. :wink: