Pre/post morning run and breakfast?

Options
So I have started running in the mornings before work. I have been able to get in about 2ish miles before jumping in the shower and getting my day started. My question is a few parts:
-Should I eat something before my run? I don't feel hungry (I literally get up, change and run) but I didn't know if this was good for you.
-I know I should be eating protein post workout, and i've found that eating protein at breakfast REALLY helps my weight loss. However i'm getting really sick of my breakfast sandwiches with egg, bagels/eng muffins with PB, and oatmeal.
What are some good post workout/breakfast ideas? Something I can run out the door with if need be? (Note: I'm not really a fan of yogurt or smoothies, hence my feeling run out of ideas!)

Thank you! =)

Replies

• lisapickering
    Options
    I drink chocolate milk after my runs!!
  • arc918
    arc918 Posts: 2,037 Member
    Options
    I run 6-7 mornings a week. All my runs are on an empty stomach. Even if I'm running long (15-20+ miles), I don't eat before I go (but I'll eat some Clif Bloks during my run).

My new secret weapon is egg whites. I eat them for breakfast most everyday.
  • fitbot
    fitbot Posts: 406
    Options
    how about having a protein rich smoothie after your run?
    you can do something with yogurt, your fave fruits, and maybe some additional protein powder? have a handful of almonds on the side.
    Altho the yogurt+nuts might be enough and you might not have to add protein powder....

or
    cottage cheese, jam or berries, almond butter on pita

or

oooo or quinoa with apple sauce!!! i love that for brekkies.
  • NoAdditives
    NoAdditives Posts: 4,251 Member
    Options
    When I can get tot he gym it's first thing in the morning and I don't eat breakfast before hand. And I'm pregnant. I never have any problems with energy as long as I don't eat refined carbs before bed. I always have a protein shake (vanilla soy milk and whey protein powder) immediately after working out, and then a few hours later I have breakfast with my kids. Whey protein shakes are really goo post workout because the protein is absorbed so quickly, it gets to your muscles and helps them recover and repair themselves quickly. Because of this I am never sore after workouts, even when I lift heavy weights.
  • 1113cw
    1113cw Posts: 830 Member
    Options
    I work out almost exclusively in the AM, first thing and always on an empty stomach. It just seems to be what works for me. But I found I have to get something in me right after or else I hear it (literally) from my stomach if I wait to long. I found that soy chocolate milk or almond milk/whey protein powder is the perfect solution to hold me over.

Try different things and see what works for you best.