low thyroid weight loss?

Options
I have autoimmune hypothyroid (hashimotos) according to my Dr my thyroid is slowly dying and there is nothing to be done about it except try and keep my t3 and t4 levels normal, the only thing is for the past 2 years or so I have been needing to have my syntroid increased every few months, every time my levels even out they dip again within months. I have gained 50 pounds in that time, my wedding was in august and my ring is already uncomfortably tight, and I have little energy. I am stabilized at the moment, and want to get in as good shape as possible because I know that will make everything better in the long run. My Dr isnt too concerned about my weight, since I am not unhealthily overweight (yet), but I want to feel like I used to, her suggestions are just to stay as active as I can without running myself into the ground.
Anyone else beat this? I am hoping to find that its not going to always be the struggle it has been recently, and does anyone have tips for staying energized?

Replies

• JackieJ13
    JackieJ13 Posts: 93
    Options
    I have a low thyroid from auto immune too....but my levels are stable at the moment. My father in law doesn't even have a thyroid because he had cancer and he's okay now. He just takes his medication and he's fine. I believe it will get better just be sure you listen to your doctors and more importantly to your own body.
  • AngelicaDulas
    Options
    I have to take Levothyroxin daily as well. I had gained 30lbs in 6 months and was sleeping 12hrs a day before I went to the dr to find out what was wrong! I'm sorry to hear yours is still declining. My steadied after the first few months and I'm waiting on the latest blood tests. I find that the foods that I choose (very much a "CLEAN" diet, all fresh foods, very minimal processed or sugary foods) has a huge effect on my energy levels through out the day and the next... Also I make sure to take a good women's multivitamin/mineral and drink 64-80 oz filtered water every day. I also get out and walk. Nothing fancy, I just have dogs that I take. We go for 20-30 minutes at a brisk pace, and it's enough to help my energy INCREASE! :) I've lost 12lbs in a couple months using MFP so far. Best luck to you honey, I know how stressful it is feeling helpless with a health issue. It really comes down to every choice we make every day.
  • kateanne27
    kateanne27 Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    eeek I am still sleeping 10+ hours when I can, and I cant handle heavy cardio without feeling miserable for a day or after for 20 minutes of excercise, so I walk too, or do wii biking or step since we have been having crazy snow/hail/ lightning/flashfloods for the last few months. as my Dr put it I am getting old early. I was stable for years on synthroid, after recovering from a bad reaction to levothyroxin, I was diagnosed as a kid because a doctor noticed I had cold hands and a bumpy neck, so I thought it would keep gliding on the way it was, I didn't even notice I was unstable again because usually my first sign of a dip in levels is hair loss, but this time it has been exhaustion and weight gain. it also affected my mood, which effects motivation and eating unhealthy foods, which makes it all worse, so that at least I can control.
  • ckh2069
    ckh2069 Posts: 5
    Options
    Hi I just joined this site. I have had trouble with my thyroid since I was a junior in high school and i am about to be a junior in college. I am also Type 1 diabetic (for those who dont know this is juvenile diabetes and I did not get it from unhealthy lifestyle but most likely from genetics or environment toxins- the cause is still unclear). anyway, when my thyroid starting failing my junior year I hit 150 pounds (I am five foot eight), however last year in college my weight was done to 125- I worked hard for this- ran almost everyday and really limited my carbohydrate intake to probably under 20-40 grams a day and ate a high protein diet. I went on a birth congtrol pill last spring and started experiencing thyroid symptoms all over again despite being on synthroid and I started binge eating- chocolate, cookies, pop tarts, candy- anything sugary I could get my hands on! I went off the birth control in Novemeber but these thyroid symptoms still continued- I just started Armour thyroid medication about three weeks ago and while I am seeing improvements in some symptoms (less hair falling out, a little more energy, skin not as dry) I am still binge eating. I was so depressed when my thyroid wsa underactive that I dont know if I I just adopted these unhealthy habits and am having trouble kicking them.. or what is going on? Has anyone else experienced something similar- my weight is up to 190 lbs and I just long for the body that I had last year as this has taken a HUGE toll on my confidence : ( if anyone has gone through anything similar and has any tips or suggestions please let me know!

Also- my thyroid antibodies were high and I was told I had hashimotos as well- just this year- it seems that the brith control pill was interfering with how my thyroid was functioning and I do not know if any of you are on oral contraceptives but it may be something to look into. I also was just put on dessicated thyroid (Armour thyroid) instead of synthroid and have been noticing little differences although I was started on the lowest dose possible. The stuff I wrote above was in the introductory message board but I was wondering if any of you all had experienced problems with binge eating and hypothyroidism- I was thinking I may just need to try gluten free but every time I seem to do this for a few days than I will have a really bad binge- its very hard to control. Thanks in advance for any advice/suggestions!