Protein Powders

Options
Hey all you experts out there!! :wink:

I need help choosing a protein powder!

I would like one with a great vanilla flavor, and also lower in calories would be a great plus!! Even if the protein content isn't as high as like 25 in some that I've seen, that's fine. I'm just looking for a way to get some quick protein after some intense workouts!

Also, if you can, tell me how much it costs and where you got it from!! Thanks! :flowerforyou:

Replies

• Irene8509
    Irene8509 Posts: 381 Member
    Options
    I use Nature's Plus Spiru-tein. Vanilla is my favorite. You can get it at your local health/vitamin store.
  • Britt22706
    Options
    Any idea how much it costs or the nutritional value?

Thanks! :D
  • gp79
    gp79 Posts: 1,799 Member
    Options
    Everyone will have their favorite but the two I recommend are the GNC AMP 60 or the Optimum Nutrition Gold Standard Whey. The Optimum Nutrition is a little better in my opinion, on both price points and quality. However, the GNC is very slightly better on the taste. I've made some pretty mean tasting shakes with both. They are both low cal, low carb, low fat.

I would suggest buying the Optimum Nutrition from www.bodybuilding.com or www.allstarhealth.com as they seem to have the best internet price. If you opt for the GNC product...www.gnc.com or visit your local GNC...just be prepared to pay the price if you don't have their gold card ($15 membership fee) To me it's not worth it.
  • nudacris
    nudacris Posts: 25
    Options
    Everything about this whey protein powder is amazing:

http://www.energyfirst.com/Whey-Protein-Isolate-Vanilla-2-lbs

You can read the review of it here:

http://www.wheyproteinpowders.org/best-whey-protein-powder/
  • MiniMimi08
    Options
    I use Designer Whey Protein and mix it in with milk (about 100 calories) or make a fruit smoothie (about 300 calories). It's made for women so you get the nutrients you need after workouts but without the calories. You can't even taste the powder when it's mixed in as a smoothie, and it also comes in a lot of flavors. I get it from the Vitamin Shoppe for roughly $17- the smaller container size - and that lasts me a month. You can order bigger sizes online at wholesale prices from Vitamin Shoppe and Amazon too.
  • LindseyC87
    LindseyC87 Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    I love EAS Vanilla from Sams Club.. It has 23g of protein and like 120 calories.. It is only $33 for the one up here and has 76 servings. My personal trainer recommended, thats what he drinks and I love it also.
  • sinclare
    sinclare Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    I do hemp. Don't know why I don't like soy or whey. Hemp looks gross but is really healthy. I get an organic one at the health food store, Trader Joes has one. Just have to try different ones. My health food store has samples you can buy. Try some different varieties.
  • sinclare
    sinclare Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    I do hemp. Don't know why I don't like soy or whey. Hemp looks gross but is really healthy. I get an organic one at the health food store, Trader Joes has one. Just have to try different ones. My health food store has samples you can buy. Try some different varieties.
  • aml17
    aml17 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I use Designer Whey Protein and mix it in with milk (about 100 calories) or make a fruit smoothie (about 300 calories). It's made for women so you get the nutrients you need after workouts but without the calories. You can't even taste the powder when it's mixed in as a smoothie, and it also comes in a lot of flavors. I get it from the Vitamin Shoppe for roughly $17- the smaller container size - and that lasts me a month. You can order bigger sizes online at wholesale prices from Vitamin Shoppe and Amazon too.

I use Designer Whey as well. I got mine at vitamin shoppe but I have seen them at trader joes (1lb container) for like $14.
  • maremare312
    maremare312 Posts: 1,143 Member
    Options
    I love EAS Vanilla from Sams Club.. It has 23g of protein and like 120 calories.. It is only $33 for the one up here and has 76 servings. My personal trainer recommended, thats what he drinks and I love it also.

hehe, if you have Costco instead of Sam's Club they have Cytomax/Muscle Milk whey protein powder for about the same price with close to the same stats--27 g protein and 140 cal (now I realize why I couldn't find the EAS my aunt was telling me to look for at Costco, she must have gotten it at Sam's club! :) )
  • Pandorian
    Pandorian Posts: 2,055 MFP Moderator
    Options
    I get my whey protein at the bulk store here, was glad to have the chance to try it (by buying a small amount) before commiting to a big amount. It's $15 / lb I think from the bulk store and any "health" shop I've looked at where it comes in a canister is about $30/lb.