What is the most filling low cal dinner you can eat?

Options
My husband wants to lose weight but he wants to know what would be the most filling dinner. Salads just don't cut it for him. He's actually pretty picky (although he won't admit to that) so mainly the most filling but plain dinner you can think of. Tricky one because anything I suggest he kind of makes a face so I'm at a loss as to what would work for him.

Replies

• shellybeelee
    Options
    When I find my dinner isn't filling enough I will add a big serving of broccoli. each cup is only about 30 calories. I steam em with some seasoning and olive oil.. Its very full of fiber and will fill you up.. Look for veggies with fiber. It will be a filling side to add
  • waverly9876
    waverly9876 Posts: 605 Member
    Options
    Baked tilapia is only 100 calories. If I need dairy, I put a piece of low fat cheese on it and put it in the oven. YUM
  • midwesthiker
    Options
    I have chicken breast. I like to cook it in the slow cooker with hot peppers and spices. Then I make cilantro lime rice and make a "rice bowl" like they have at Chipotle Mexican Grille. Or I grill it and put blackened seasoning on it. I get tired of plain ol' chicken breast. :)
  • monoxidechick
    Options
    My fav lately has been spaghetti squash with spaghetti sauce that is packed with tofu and veggies. You can leave out the fogu, add some type of meat. You can load up on the squash since it is only about 35 cals per cup and the sauce can be low in cals depending on how you make it. Just watch out for packaged sauce, its high in sodium. Might sound weird, but it is sooooo good.
  • abroughton1978
    Options
    I have chicken breast. I like to cook it in the slow cooker with hot peppers and spices. Then I make cilantro lime rice and make a "rice bowl" like they have at Chipotle Mexican Grille. Or I grill it and put blackened seasoning on it. I get tired of plain ol' chicken breast. :)

Can you give me the recipe for this rice you talked about? Sounds YUMMY!
  • taso42_DELETED
    taso42_DELETED Posts: 3,394 Member
    Options
    Pick one item from each category. Feel free to branch out. :)

Proteins
    chicken breast
    fish
    pork chop
    top sirloin

Carbs
    Sweet Potato
    Potato
    Brown Rice
    Quinoa

Veggies
    Spinach
    Brocolli
    Tossed salad
  • Peep_chic
    Peep_chic Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    I like Baked red potatoes and grilled chicken breast. You can have a decent amount of potatoes for not such high calories. Add any veggie and you got yourself a filling meal. Turkey chilli can also be very low cal for a good amount too!.
  • TiniTurtle
    TiniTurtle Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    cauliflower rice is AMAZING & filling ♥
  • ashleyk_xox
    ashleyk_xox Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    I make the same dinner all the time. I take about 7-8 Oz of chicken breast...add a cup of peppers and onions mix (you can get Pict Sweet brand at walmart its GOOD) and about .5-1 cup of mushrooms and its delicious. Its about 290 calories and makes a plate full. If you like mushrooms and peppers that is.....
  • ashleynicoleb
    ashleynicoleb Posts: 376 Member
    Options
    Definitely grilled chicken for me!
  • Irene8509
    Irene8509 Posts: 381 Member
    Options
    Pork chop salad sounds very interesting

Proteins
    chicken breast
    fish
    pork chop
    top sirloin

Carbs
    Sweet Potato
    Potato
    Brown Rice
    Quinoa

Veggies
    Spinach
    Brocolli
    Tossed salad
    [/quote]
  • ashleyk_xox
    ashleyk_xox Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    Also-I like to use Flat Out Light Wraps to make turkey burger tacos. Use ground turkey burger like you would beef add low sodium taco seasoning and FILL it with your veggies, salsa, and fat free sour cream... you can even add some brown rice to make it MORE filling.
  • abroughton1978
    Options
    Several options I use:

broccoli is very low and can be made several ways! I read to boil or sautee it in balsamic vinegar--I tried it and LOVED it!
    sauteed veggies with jasmine rice (add a few pieces of chicken strips!)
    petite sirloin is actually pretty low and gives you great flavor and taste!
    turkery burgers with lite whole wheat bun is a little over 200 calories
    turkey tenderloins are only 100 calories per 4oz
    bbq porkchops are pretty light
    chicken ceasar salad with sweet potato
    sauteed peppers, onions, black beans (rice if you have enought calories left)and hummus on a whole wheat tortilla
    kabobs
    grilled chicken

Does any of that help?
  • taso42_DELETED
    taso42_DELETED Posts: 3,394 Member
    Options
    Pork chop salad sounds very interesting

i do that sometimes with leftover porkchops
  • rockonerin
    Options
    homemade turkey burgers and half a bag of frozen sugar snap peas! :)
  • abyt42
    abyt42 Posts: 1,358 Member
    Options
    My most filling and delicious meal right now:

a serving of Alexia spicy sweet potato fries, roasted asparagus, and a roasted portobello mushroom with 1 T blue cheese melted inside served on (3 C raw, though heated and slightly reduced) spinach. Optional additions: a Newcastle and/or apple slices. It's just so much food.
  • Acome48027
    Acome48027 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Beans - red kidney, navy, black - taste great and very very filling.
  • jkestens63
    jkestens63 Posts: 1,164 Member
    Options
    When I need something filling:

1.5 cups of brown rice & .75 cup of homemade chili
  • Peep_chic
    Peep_chic Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    My most filling and delicious meal right now:

a serving of Alexia spicy sweet potato fries, roasted asparagus, and a roasted portobello mushroom with 1 T blue cheese melted inside served on (3 C raw, though heated and slightly reduced) spinach. Optional additions: a Newcastle and/or apple slices. It's just so much food.

Alexia's sweet potato fries come spicy too? I have to try them. I love the regular ones. I'm also trying the sweet potato waffle fries cause I heard they get nice and crisp when baked unlike the fries.
  • srp2011
    srp2011 Posts: 1,829 Member
    Options

Proteins
    chicken breast
    fish
    pork chop
    top sirloin

Carbs
    Sweet Potato
    Potato
    Brown Rice
    Quinoa

Veggies
    Spinach
    Brocolli
    Tossed salad

I second this list - you might add a lean beef or turkey burger to the protein list. I find if I add a healthy starch I'm fuller - I like steamed red potatoes (you can mash them too - I like to add Molly McButter for a buttery flavor without the calories) - you could also bake Ore-Ida fries. If your husband is a picky eater, it would probably be best to make meals that are closest to traditional meat-and-potatoes dishes, but if you cook the components in a healthy way, rather than adding a lot of butter/fat and salt, it will help him make the transition to healthier eating with little or no pain :-)