Funny thing happened in the gym....

Options
CuteAndCurvy83
CuteAndCurvy83 Posts: 570 Member
So yesterday (or the day before) I was at the gym, now it's a small gym in my apartment complex so it's rare that anyone is there. But any way I was just doing my thing on the elliptical, when a guy came in and got on the stationary bike, I was watching tv and he started doing his thing and the next thing I notice I was trying to match the pace of my "walk/run" with his on the bike, then this evening hubby and I went over to the gym and there was a guy lifting weights, I felt the need to "show off" and jogged a good 5 min warm up and then did a 20min HIIT. Anyone else just have the strange urge to go faster or do better or show off when someone else is around??

Replies

• Polish_Princess
    Options
    Yes I agree. Sometimes, it acutally helps me push myself harder and work through the pain.
  • brittanyscherich
    brittanyscherich Posts: 355 Member
    Options
    Totally. When I lived home, I loved working out with my brother.
  • NyxDominique
    NyxDominique Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    Its always easier for me to push myself when there are other people around.
  • elliecolorado
    elliecolorado Posts: 1,040
    Options
    I don't go to the gym, but if I am out hiking or something I always find myself trying to get to the top of the trail before other people! A little competition (even if it's only in my head) always makes me push myself a little harder :-)
  • sarahsmom1
    sarahsmom1 Posts: 1,501 Member
    Options
    nope im to old to try and impress anyone i would probably hurt myself
  • LeeBeeW
    LeeBeeW Posts: 100
    Options
    Nothing wrong with a bit of healthy competition ;)
  • ContinuousEffort
    Options
    Yes, I don't like it when people pass me. Especially if they are walking.
  • JACQinthebox
    Options
    Just make sure your trousers are fastened securely. I had a rather embarrassing moment in the gym, trying to keep up with the guys running on the treadmill next to me. Trousers decided to take a running trip of their own....to my ankles! Cringe. Learn from my mistakes! :P haha
  • shulaw
    shulaw Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    Just make sure your trousers are fastened securely. I had a rather embarrassing moment in the gym, trying to keep up with the guys running on the treadmill next to me. Trousers decided to take a running trip of their own....to my ankles! Cringe. Learn from my mistakes! :P haha

im sorry but thats just funny ,,,,i would be mortified if that happened to me though but still funny ......i work out at home though i do try and push myself really hard at zumba class , i when i did go to the gym i would push myself harder when people were about
  • chrisyoung0422
    chrisyoung0422 Posts: 426 Member
    Options
    Thats the beauty (IMO) of a nice big gym...
  • FearAnLoathing
    FearAnLoathing Posts: 4,852 Member
    Options
    I dont do it myself,but I see it happen alot. If it works to get people push themselves a little harder then its a good thing.
    The only time I did it is when I overheard someone make a rude comment on my weight then I showed off a little.Usally though im in my own little world and try not to pay attention to whats going on around me
  • Fertilegrounds5
    Options
    Yes! Motivation......
  • bmontgomery87
    bmontgomery87 Posts: 1,260 Member
    Options
    yes.
    thats why i workokut with a partner as much as possible.
    the competition is great motivation.
  • Mkleder
    Mkleder Posts: 289
    Options
    Absolutely! The cardio deck at my gym is next to and overlooking the free weights where all the good looking guys hang out. It's amazing how much faster I can run on the tread mill when I think about catching one of them. But alas, I'm like Wiley Coyote in that department.