What is with the adds on this site???

Options
Does anyone else find it odd that there are some very strange adds on this site!!??!! Oh and the one that I am looking at right now is for Milky Way Simply Caramel, and the tag line is, "Life's better the Milky Way with Simply Caramel". WOW!!! LOL!! Now I will admit that I LOOOOOVVVVEE chocolate and caramel, but why advertise on this site?? I've seen this add probably 10 times today (I had the day off and therefore was on the site WAY more than normal), and while it in no way makes me want to go out and get one, it just strikes me as odd!!!!

Oh, and while I am here, has anyone ever clicked on the picture of the banana that has the warning about the five foods to avoid for a flat belly??? I have always wondered about that, but haven't had the time, or perhaps the desire, to click on it. I don't see it today, but can anyone tell me what it said, and if the information is valid?

Replies

• maremare312
    maremare312 Posts: 1,143 Member
    Options
    I never see any ads. Maybe you need a better popup blocker?
  • hroderick
    hroderick Posts: 756 Member
    Options
    google ad sense. you type chocolate and you see a chocolate ad. you search for chocolate and you'll see them for a week.
  • Crystal817
    Crystal817 Posts: 2,021 Member
    Options
    I believe they are google ads based on what you have searched or looked at before.
  • maremare312
    Options
    Where are you guys seeing these? Hmm maybe it's my ad blocker. Don't get me wrong, I'm ok with not seeing ads, I just thought it was weird :)
  • Mads1997
    Mads1997 Posts: 1,494 Member
    Options
    They keep this site free for us to enjoy :o)

Google adblockers if it worries you.
  • rockermom21
    Options
    I see the ads, it doesn't have anything to do with pop up blocker.. because it doesn't "pop up" if it "pops up in a new window" then you need a "pop up blocker" but yes i have seen the ads on here and some of them to myself seem ridiculous to click.. waste of time. i have seen the banana ad before. I haven't clicked on it, but if you want me to.... i could click on it, and let you know wether its legit or not. because i have a very good virus protection on my computer that my computer wont get harmed. You may also add me as your friend if you would like... :) hope I've been helpful for you. I'm very decent with computers, i do know quite a lot.
  • drasr
    drasr Posts: 181
    Options
    Somebody searched for chocolates on amazon or ebay. :)
  • schpanks
    schpanks Posts: 468 Member
    Options
    Well, if we didn't have food issues, we wouldn't have use of the site. That may not be true for everyone, but for most of us the struggle with food is a fact of life. What better place to advertise your milky way bar then on a site for people who need help curbing their bad behavior.? :) I wish I had a milky way. That would be awesome.
  • PNWriter
    PNWriter Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    NO KIDDING! I'll tell you what, between the Papa John's, Sun Chips, and Milky Way Caramel, I'm going insane. It's just cruel.
  • Crystal817
    Crystal817 Posts: 2,021 Member
    Options
    I wish I had a milky way. That would be awesome.

I had some "fun size" ones on Easter. Maybe the Milky Way ads are my fault. :laugh:
  • KeriA
    KeriA Posts: 3,275 Member
    Options
    I am taking Flash and our first project is to make 3 banner ads. I do not like them but Flash is fun! Some of these ads seem appropriate and others don't?
  • rockermom21
    Options
    I believe they are google ads based on what you have searched or looked at before.

the ads are ways to help "pay" the website/ owners to keep it free for us to use. :)
  • Sonicfray
    Options
    I know- the adds seem to be against the purpose of this site. The online marketing people or agency used by the site doesn't seem to get what the users of this site use it for.
  • maremare312
    Options
    I see the ads, it doesn't have anything to do with pop up blocker.. because it doesn't "pop up" if it "pops up in a new window" then you need a "pop up blocker" but yes i have seen the ads on here and some of them to myself seem ridiculous to click.. waste of time. i have seen the banana ad before. I haven't clicked on it, but if you want me to.... i could click on it, and let you know wether its legit or not. because i have a very good virus protection on my computer that my computer wont get harmed. You may also add me as your friend if you would like... :) hope I've been helpful for you. I'm very decent with computers, i do know quite a lot.

Well since I don't see any ads I couldn't tell if they popped up or not.

I totally forgot about my ad blocker, if anyone uses Firefox I highly recommend downloading the ad blocker as an add-on. I use it on another site to block annoying avatars of some users (I hate the flashy ones!).
  • WhiskeyBravo
    Options
    Yeah I jus ignore them...whatever they're selling, I aint-a-buyin'...jus saw one for Gout...hmmm definitely not clickin on that one :)
  • cenafan
    cenafan Posts: 398 Member
    Options

correct...she needs flashblock. I don't see any ads. it is active coding and you shouldn't be allowing it on your systems. Photobucket had major viruses in their flash ads a while back.
  • MochaMixAZ
    MochaMixAZ Posts: 844 Member
    Options
    Lots of ads, which I don't mind a bit and just ignore. I appreciate that this site is free, so I'm more than willing to put up with it.
  • infosynth
    infosynth Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    I do not see any ads. I use Firefox 4 with Ad Blocker Plus. It really helps. (Popups are different from ads; a popup blocker will not necessarily eliminate ads.)
  • rockermom21
    Options
    I know- the adds seem to be against the purpose of this site. The online marketing people or agency used by the site doesn't seem to get what the users of this site use it for.

It's not to take away the purpose of the site. It's actually a way to help site provide us the help without having to pay for like ex: memberships for gyms, or different weight loss websites, etc.. the ads aren't trying to take away the purpose. it's a way to help us prove to ourselves we don't need that s**t . we have the community members on here to help motivate us by staying on track to losing weight. we have the food tracker, weight tracker, etc. so the "ads" are just about wether or not we are people who give up or stick to the plan.
  • afrochique
    Options
    The ads aren't all that bad, just usually based on what I've been searching for. I've been visiting the site of my cell phone provider quite frequently, and now all I see are ads for other cell phones. I'm going to delete browsing data so I can get some variety. :)