HRM calorie math help

Options
Okay so if I track my calories during my work outs with a wrist HRM.. should i be figuring out what my resting Heartrate is and subtracting it out before I put in my burnt calories? because it is just adding my workout on top of my daily caloric needs right??

Replies

• krixi
    krixi Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    i don't really know the right answer, but that's what I do. I figure out my bmr for 1 minute, and then multiply by minutes exercised. I then subract that number from what my hrm tells me i burned, and then plot it in for calories burned from exercise..

I just do it because it's less likely that I overestimate my workout calories.. in my opinion, it's better to underestimate than overestimate..
  • shellybeelee
    Options
    I totally agree.. I like the HRM because its more accurate but I don't to over estimate. Thanks =)
  • schninie82
    schninie82 Posts: 502 Member
    Options
    what hrm have you got? Is it just a wrist one or have you the chest strap too?
  • CurlyKy
    CurlyKy Posts: 16
    Options
    The HRM includes calories you would've burned resting.

Figure out your BMR for 1 minute by dividing your daily BMR by 1440. Multiply that by the minutes you exercised. Then subtract that from the calories your HRM gives you. :)
  • shellybeelee
    Options
    again thank you. I figured I should be doing this but I wasn't sure. I just wanted to ask to make sure i wasn't missing anything lol

And its the sportline s7... Honestly the cheapest one i could find with pretty decent reviews.. I have to make sure to recheck my HR every few minutes when i'm working out because its a one touch thing that you have to do manually, but i dont have an issue getting my HR. And I tested it a few times by checking my HR and then seeing what it said and it was pretty much the same so I'm happy with it. lol.
  • schninie82
    schninie82 Posts: 502 Member
    Options
    I dont get it, am I missing something,...? Doesnt your hrm calculate your calories burned through exercise for you anyway? Why are you subtracting anything?
  • shellybeelee
    Options
    Okay heres how i see it, and why I asked..

MFP calculates your base intake of calories to maintain. So if that was 1800 and you worked out for 300 calories then you would need to eat 2100

But that 1800 would be how many calories you had lost if you had sat there all day and done nothing

So you figure out how many calories you burn per minute 1800 and divide it by 1440 (minutes in a day) and get 1.25.. (it won't always be 1.25.. itll differ based on your overall calories. Also your overall calories is not your daily goal. Your daily goal is missing whatever mfp took off for deficit.

Anyways. you multiply 1.25 by how many minutes you worked out..

Say 1.25*30 minutes = 37.5

So you take your 300 calories burned and take out the 37.5 that mfp had already set aside for those thirty minutes and only put in 262.5 calories burned