Lisinipril

Options
I am currently taking this. I want to be off of it. If you were on it when you started MFP and were able to be taken off of it completely how much weight and exercise and how long was it for your doc to decide to let you go off it???

Replies

• kelika71
    kelika71 Posts: 778 Member
    Options
    Started with this one but due to it causing me to constantly cough, I had to be switched to another. I don't remember how long I had been on it prior to MFP. I started my journey March 1, 2010. I was taken off it in Dec. and had to go back in 6 wks. to see if I could stay off it for good and succeeded. I think I had lost around 80 lbs?
  • monkeybuttsmommy
    monkeybuttsmommy Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    OMG I have the cough too! I don't have insurance now so I am having to go to a clinic. I am gonna ask to be changed due to the cough. And 80 pounds huh? was kind of hoping it would be less but I guess it really depends on the individual. Thanks for the input!
  • kelika71
    kelika71 Posts: 778 Member
    Options
    Yep, it's notorious for causing a dry cough. Gum helped until I could get in and switch. They put me on Hyzaar...which is now available in generic.

Everyone is different. For me, getting my sugars under control were a priority while trying to watch sodium. You might be able to get off it sooner. My doctor was just reluctant due to my family's history. I probably could've been taken off it in Aug.; however, being Diabetic she was playing it safe. Don't be discouraged by my time line. Definitely, talk to you doctor and express your goals. I made sure mine knew I wasn't just saying it. (Some patients are like that)

Good luck!! :)
  • cutmd
    cutmd Posts: 1,168 Member
    Options
    Studies show many people have improved blood pressure after losing just 10% of their body weight. however, lisinopril and the "zaars" are excellent drugs for protecting the heart and kidneys, especially in diabetics. The zaars just do it without the cough side effect. For this reason, many MDs like to keep their diabetic patients on at least a low dose.

So I wouldn't be so quick to ditch it....