Hey Brits...excited about the Royal Wedding?

Options
TayJoMama
TayJoMama Posts: 348 Member
I've noticed there are quite a few fitness pals from across the pond, just wondered if you are excited about the wedding or pissed that it's causing so much commotion and money? Just curious what is the Queens role when it looks to me like your Prime minister is "The President"? Just thought I'd ask. Have a good one!!

Replies

• JesaGrace
    JesaGrace Posts: 799 Member
    Options
    I would like hear about this too....
  • sarahs440
    sarahs440 Posts: 405
    Options
    i am from the US but I am gettin sick of hearing about it!
  • CassieLEO
    CassieLEO Posts: 757 Member
    Options
    i am from the US but I am gettin sick of hearing about it!

Same here LOL!!!
  • karenjoy
    karenjoy Posts: 1,840 Member
    Options
    I am ENGLISH lol, not British,

I am very excited and plan to watch the Wedding, have been invited to three parties, we are going to a posh hat and pimms party at some friends, the Prime Minister is not at all like a president and the Queen has no actual political power.

The Royal family are paying for the Wedding, I am thrilled to bits for the couple, who are our future King and Queen and hope that the day goes splendidly, people all over the world will be watching, it raises much interest and gives many people much joy and a reason to celebrate in these difficult times.
  • rachel871
    rachel871 Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    Hahaaaa, I had to turn the radio off at work earlier because it's all everyone is talking about! I'll be tuning in to check her dress out, but if I'm honest I'm not too bothered about watching two people I've never met get married!
  • akaMrsmojo
    akaMrsmojo Posts: 762 Member
    Options
    I am curious too. I know I am tired of it as well but I do understand because there are no royals here. We have a few that think they are however.
  • missy1970eb
    missy1970eb Posts: 1,209 Member
    Options
    pissed that we have to pay 4 it lol, and theres people that cant actually afford 2 eat, let alone get married, and some companies r not even paying employees 2 have the day off, they gt 2 take it out of there holidays, the country's a big fat joke
  • CharlieJuliette
    CharlieJuliette Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    Hi, I'm in the UK. I didn't realise you guys were getting to hear so much about it! All the shops are full of Union Jacks, and the TV and radio is non-stop stories about the wedding list, the dress, the weather, etc. But its good. I'm not a fan of the Royal family but I'll watch the wedding because I think we Brits do pageantry really well. My 2 little girls are SOOO excited!
  • Terri73
    Terri73 Posts: 238
    Options
    Sick of it all.
  • FearAnLoathing
    FearAnLoathing Posts: 4,852 Member
    Options
    I am in TX ,I am sick to death of hearing about.Its on everydamn channel. I dont really understand the big deal for people in America. The only thing I figure is it plays into womens Cinderrella some day my prince will come fantasys.
  • maysflower
    maysflower Posts: 180
    Options
    I'm Canadian and I am super excited. The British Monarchy is part of our history, and still influences us to this day. The Queens role is mostly ceremonial now. The country is run by the government, but the Queen does still hold some power. But it is rarely used.
  • Jenbarratt11
    Options
    I am from Uk and not bothered in it really- I am just excited to have an extra day off work to be honest!

Ive recently just got married so its nice to see others being happy-but im just in it for the 4 day weekend!!
  • sars_68
    sars_68 Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    Hi

I'm English too :happy:

To be honest I'm not that bothered either way - but agree it is everywhere you look!! Does get a bit annoying!! We get a day off work though - so that's a bonus!!

I think it's a big thing in the USA - am I right?

S x:flowerforyou:
  • waterbabeAD
    Options
    Well, I am not that l excited - but I am happy for the couple, just because they are in love (and I do believe they are!). For me the Royal Family are like a national family heirloom - gets handed down every generation. But they do a lot of charitable work and help promote all things British abroad, so they do have their practical uses, as well as keeping gossip columns full.

As for the point about the PM running the show, yes, he does and he is indeed elected. But he only runs 1 country, and holds office for max of 5 years whereas the Queen is Head of State of 15 countires and has been our head of state for almost 60 years, giving us remarkable continuity.
  • tracey2710
    tracey2710 Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    Just glad to be getting the extra day off :bigsmile:
    Thinking sunshine, beer and relaxing in the garden - away from tv and radios!
  • FearAnLoathing
    FearAnLoathing Posts: 4,852 Member
    Options

You guys get the day off? Thats awesome! I want a day off
  • bigmamma3
    bigmamma3 Posts: 134
    Options
    hi im in the uk and i am so sick of hearing about it my 6yr old can't wait but she loves the princess stuff. as for the queen i always thought she was only around for the tourists and to give dull speaches on christmas day.
  • sars_68
    sars_68 Posts: 308 Member
    Options

Sounds like a plan!!! :drinker:
  • perrytyra
    perrytyra Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    I don't understand the extremes of either side. The people who are totally crazy about it, and the people who are totally pissed about it. Of course it is going to be exciting for some people. I haven't heard much about it until this week, but I have been behind on the news.

The only reason I will be watching on tv is because I am using it in a lesson for my 6 year old whom I homeschool. About a month ago she asked me if the Disney princesses were real, and I told her no. She got mad at me and refused to believe it. So we started learning about real princesses. We started with Princess Mary, and then went to Princess Victoria(both current princesses). She really enjoyed learing about them. Last week she learned about Princess Diana, which led us into Kate. She is excited to be watching the wedding tomorrow.
  • whiskey9890
    whiskey9890 Posts: 652 Member
    Options
    i am happy that a young couple are getting married, but a bit sick of hearing about it (its been going on since they got engaged!) i'm looking forward to seeing her dress, but won't be watching the proceedings. its not a day off for my company (tis very complicated because of different contracts but they have given us all an extra days holiday which is half decent of them) the queen does stil get to but a final stamp on any new laws that are passed in the country but this is only after they've been passed through the house of commons and lords, at other times the queen and the other royals are basically ambassadors for the uk and a tourist attraction. i don't think they play an important role in the uk these days but i wouldn't want to get rid of them