healthy snacks

Options
What kind of healthy snacks to people eat throughout the day to keep them full. I have some baby carrots yesterday for my afternoon snack and like 5 minutes later my stomach was growling.

Trying to make healthy choices but also want to stay full! (any advise would be awesome)

Replies

• bkelley32148
    bkelley32148 Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    higher protein snacks are really filling. There is this amazing stuff (if you like peanut butter) called PB2. Its a powder peanut butter but for 2 tbsp it has only 45 calories and lots of protein. If I want a sweet snack I sometimes cut a chocolate snack bar in half (so between 50-100 calories) then put the PB2 on top (after its made) for a filling reese cup. : )
  • cc2r1511
    cc2r1511 Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    smart pop kettle corn is great! any smart pop popcorn is high in fiber, low in calories, and very filling!
  • Mark330
    Mark330 Posts: 75
    Options
    HYDRATE HYDRATE HYDRATE! You will find water fills you up and is EXTREMELY low calorie. 90% of the time, when you body says "I am Hungary" what it is really saying is "I am dehydrated."

Raw Almonds or leafy greens are great too!
  • Jessk63
    Jessk63 Posts: 51
    Options
    Apples! i love apple slices for a snack....when im feeling something a little sweet i go for a red delicious or something tart i grab a green granny smith apple....for some reason apples fill me up for my midmorning snack and hold me till lunch...clementines are great too, super juicy and sweet !
  • guidnca
    guidnca Posts: 64
    Options
    I will have a Date and 6 to 10 almonds natural or tamarind flavored.

I eat baby carrots. I usually eat 20 as a snack (a couple of books recommended that number) and it takes me so long to eat them that I am tired of eating.
  • kmart20
    kmart20 Posts: 72
    Options
    higher protein snacks are really filling. There is this amazing stuff (if you like peanut butter) called PB2. Its a powder peanut butter but for 2 tbsp it has only 45 calories and lots of protein. If I want a sweet snack I sometimes cut a chocolate snack bar in half (so between 50-100 calories) then put the PB2 on top (after its made) for a filling reese cup. : )

I want to try PB2, since I love peanut butter, but not the fat or calories. Where do you buy it at? is it pretty pricey or not to bad?
  • Tangerine302
    Tangerine302 Posts: 1,509 Member
    Options
    Raw unsalted almonds, lately hard boiled eggs, banana, orange, or 100 calorie snack bags.
  • Tangerine302
    Tangerine302 Posts: 1,509 Member
    Options
    PB2 has a website to order and also has a place on the website where you can see if it's sold locally.
  • Caseyanna
    Caseyanna Posts: 53
    Options
    I'm with Tangerine here. I have oranges, bananas and unsalted peanuts (not an almond fan). And LOADS of water! I drink nearly 120 ozs/day!
  • bjam1234
    bjam1234 Posts: 75
    Options
    I find fruits to be more filling than veggies (higher cal too, but not bad generally) - so I go for apples, mandarines, kiwi fruit... whatever happened to catch my eye at the shop that week - grapes are soo good right now :D

if I have planned a day that is lower cal meals I LOVE mixing low fat yogurt with rolled oats or all bran type cereal, leaving it in the fridge for a couple hours and having it as an amazing snack or dessert!

perhaps if you have your carrots with a healthy dip? blending up some beetroot with low fat natural yogurt and a bit of horseradish has very few cals, heaps of flavour and makes the carrot sticks feel more like a meal :)

perhaps try making lower cal meals and planning some higher cal snacks inbetween times so you can afford something more filling (some cheese and crackers, nuts, yogurt, smoothie = so awesome for breakfast or a high cal snack)