Changing the way I walk

Options
Ok. I'm an elehpant, I swear. I'm a clomper. Everyone in my family is. I walk heavy, I run heavy.

I'm really trying to improve my running form, but can't get past the clomping around!

I've got arthritis, so I know slamming my foot down with every step is extra bad for me.

How do I change the way I've walked for 25 years? Will that translate into how I run as well?

Replies

• luv2ash
    luv2ash Posts: 1,903 Member
    Options
    you may want to see a physical therapist for a gait analysis and have them help you with this.
  • trinityj1
    trinityj1 Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    Tip-toe. Good running/walking form places the load on the balls of the feet (rolling onto the heel briefly as the next step is taken). To consciously change, try keeping your heels up and listen to the noise you make as you walk (it should be very quiet). When running, try to kick yourself in the bum with your heels. You'll look amusing to passerby, but it helps. :)

Walking correctly also engages more leg muscles and reduces strain on the joints, so it's definitely worth it.
  • MamaLeague
    MamaLeague Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    Trinity - Thanks for the tip! I'm going to try to just listen to myself walk and run. I tried it last night during my run, and my shins didn't hurt nearly as bad. Coincidence? I think not.

luv2ash - my physical therapist is my uncle, another clomper. My aunt (his wife) is my trainer, and says he is just as bad. My dad walks heavy. So I don't know how much help he will be, lol!
  • debadoo64
    Options
    i agree with the post regarding seeing a physical therapist. i have been a physical therapist assistant for 12 years. your gait should always be heel - toe. meaning your heel strikes then you push off your toes. another important factor is posture. you should have your tummy tucked slightly, shoulders back (imagine pinching your shoulder blades together), head looking straight ahead with a slightly tucked chin. you should also have a comfortable, reciprocal armswing - meaning your left arm swings as your right leg moves forward. look down at your feet when you walk. are your feet turning outwards? try to turn your toes more inwards if they are, almost like your toes are pointing straight in the direction you are walking. this decreases the rotation at your hips which helps with pain in your hip and knee joints. lastly, your feet... are you flat footed, low arch or high arch, do your ankles roll in? (stand in front of a mirror without shoes on) the correct sneakers are also extremely important to help modify your gait with the proper support. this is just my opinion... like i said, i agree with the person who suggested a gait analysis. the clomping sounds to me like you aren't striking your heel first, just landing flat-footed. don't ever walk on your tippy-toes... you will shorten your calf muscles and be at risk for injuring your achilles tendons. good luck to you!
  • freerange
    freerange Posts: 1,722 Member
    Options
    Great question, my advice would be to find a coach, maybe a track coach (local HS or college), or a fitness coach at a local gym. Ask them if they have any experience in this area. At the very least find someone that you know who has an effortless looking stride, and try to emulate them. We are natural imitators just running with someone that has good form will help, over time you will pick up their style.

I was just thinking about this the other day, and was going to post a rant thread. As I’m driving around town I see people running, as we all do. I swear there are a bunch of people out there that must have never played any sports as kids, or for some reason just never learned how to run. I see people swing their arms back and forth in front of them, I see people bent awkwardly forward, or leaning back as they run. I see people with their knees almost hitting each other, their feet swinging out in a simi circle instead of up forward and down, bouncing up and down like they are on a pogo stick. It’s just weird the contortions I see from people trying to run.

Now having said that, I think it’s great they are exercising, but they are headed for problems, this awkward form can only lead to injuries to the knees, ankles, and probably back. Please people have someone critique your running, and as the OP get advice, find a coach that can help improve your form. You will get more out of your running and have less problems in the future, and in the long run you will have more fun running.
  • scottb81
    scottb81 Posts: 2,538 Member
    Options
    Try googling pose running or chi running. I believe both have books and/or programs that teach correct running technique.

Also, if you can, try walking and running barefooted. Shoes with thick soles that interfere with foot mechanics and remove ground feedback are a major contributing factor to allowing people to develop incorrect habits in running and walking. If the ground where you live is not conducive to barefooted then vibram fivefinger shoes are another option.
  • MamaLeague
    Options
    I know I land on my heel, I just slam it into the ground from the sounds of it. I walk on the insides of my heel, and have the correct shoes to fix it, but am breaking them in slowly. (I went so long without support, it stressed the tendons in my ankles to have my foot stabalized) I am using them for walking, and running in my old shoes, per my aunts directions.

Yesterday, I focused on keeping my head up and looking toward the horizon. My run did go well, I completed w5d1 of c25k and probably could have kept running. I am concious of my form, at least.

I did run in high school, so I have some idea of form, I just don't know how to run and walk more quietly. My aunt is threatening me with ballet classes, lol!
  • MamaLeague
    Options
    Try googling pose running or chi running. I believe both have books and/or programs that teach correct running technique.

Also, if you can, try walking and running barefooted. Shoes with thick soles that interfere with foot mechanics and remove ground feedback are a major contributing factor to allowing people to develop incorrect habits in running and walking. If the ground where you live is not conducive to barefooted then vibram fivefinger shoes are another option.

I have to have a running shoe with great heel support and stabalization, as I walk and run on the insides of my heels. Do these shoes provide that?
  • microwoman999
    microwoman999 Posts: 545 Member
    Options
    My workout buddy is a stomper too she has problems with her legs because of the way she walks and runs....She looked up some stuff online but it was just recent so maybe that will help but I am also trying to remind her every time we are out so I don't know if you need someone to remind you too.
  • scottb81
    scottb81 Posts: 2,538 Member
    Options

I have to have a running shoe with great heel support and stabalization, as I walk and run on the insides of my heels. Do these shoes provide that?
    No, the only thing they provide is a sheet of thin rubber on the bottom of the foot for protection from cuts and abrasions.
  • TAWoody
    TAWoody Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    I just bought a pair of the Five Fingers shoes and have yet to run or walk longer distances in them but they do help you walk more natural and pain free. Instead of running shoes putting a bunch of material under the heel they strip that out and help you land with the ball of your foot first instead of the heel. It takes some working up to otherwise your previously unused leg muscles get real sore, but it'll be worth it when you're walking/running longer and with less pain.