Diabetic Friendly Recipes

Options
KnottyJen
KnottyJen Posts: 1,070 Member
Hello Everyone!!!
I'm looking for some help and I know you all can give it to me! :-) I'm looking for some diabetic friendly (low carb) meal options. If you have any suggestions, please share!! Thanks!

Replies

• amccrazgrl
    amccrazgrl Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    Fajitas w/o the shell.
  • anitamartina
    Options
    Hi there! I'm Type 1 and use an insulin pump also! I'm trying to get more whole grains like substituting brown or wild rice for anything with white rice. Also, when you're shopping for bread for toast or sandwiches - make sure the label says "whole grain" and not something else. Also I'm trying to eat more raw baby carrots and celery which fill me up more, but I know that raw carrots still have carbs.

I've also done things like, if I eat oatmeal in the morning and I want to reduce the carbs, I just slowly lower the amount of oatmeal that I start with.

Of course, there's no way I'm doing this perfectly or consistently, but it's given me something smaller and more manageable to work on so that it's not so overwhelming about how many pounds I've lost.

Other than that, the American Diabetes Association website probably has a lot of good ideas or recipe books you can get for free or buy something - might be an OK place to start.

Take care.

Anitamartina
  • atomiclauren
    atomiclauren Posts: 689 Member
    Options
    Do you have a daily carb target (grams)? I aim for 100 net carbs but haven't been meeting that lately :blushing:

If you eat crackers/breads, stick to the whole grains like mentioned above and also higher fiber.

I don't have any recipes really, but I can offer a couple types of food items I use and avoid..

I tend to stick to Flatout Multi-Grain with Flax for "bread" and I don't eat white carbs at all (potatoes, white rice - well, any rice, really).
  • KnottyJen
    KnottyJen Posts: 1,070 Member
    Options
    I try to get about 130 g of carbs per day. Which is incredibly difficult to do!!! I'm usually closer to 150.

I've been trying to avoid white bread, regular potatoes, white rice, etc. I've found substitutions that are doing me just fine. I suppose the only issue I'm having with that is pasta. I'm not a HUGE fan of the whole grain pastas, so when we do have it, I just try to have a much smaller portion than I ever did before.

I love cooking, but I'm finding it to be rather challenging to find yummy recipes that aren't loaded with carbs.
  • lw81
    lw81 Posts: 2
    Options
    Hi, a guy at my work has a 5 yr old son who is diabetic and gets really poorly. His wife and mother are also diabetic. He enjoys cooking and I found a recipe book for him here:-

http://www.e-book-worm.com/1022_diabetic_cookbook.html

He says he is pleased with it - I think sometimes it is hard to come up with new ideas.
  • HOTMommaG
    HOTMommaG Posts: 4
    Options
    www.dlife.com has great ideas and you can also try www.skinnytaste.com

Wishing you success on your journey

HotMommaG