Breakfast! Egg and spinach stuffed tomatoes...

Options
ChaseAlder
ChaseAlder Posts: 804 Member
Egg and spinach stuffed tomatoes

Ingredients:

3 medium-large tomatoes (romas and beefsteak tomatoes are too small, slicers will work)
1/8 - 1/4 cup of spinach
3 eggs
Feta (optional)
Salt
Pepper

Preheat oven to 425 degrees F. Line a cookie sheet or baking dish with foil (trust me, you'll thank me when it's time to do the dishes)

Cut the tops off of the tomatoes. Use a paring knife and gently cut around the inside of the tomato, separating the middle from the shell. Scoop of the insides. Set them upside down on a paper towel to let them drain a little. Sprinkle the insides with salt and pepper, or whatever you want really!

Cook your spinach till it's wilted, then strain it. Press a little spinach in the bottom of each tomato. Break an egg into the tomato! Sprinkle the top with feta (if you want, I cut that part out because feta is so naughty!) and bake for 20-25 minutes. I baked mine for 25 minutes and it was about 5 minutes too many in *my* oven... yours might be different.

Tips:

- When cutting the tops off your tomatoes, you don't want them to tip over, so make sure your "top" is parallel to the counter even if it's a little off center

- Let them cool for 5 minutes or so before trying to eat them, the tomato is quite hot on the inside!

- I used beefsteak tomatoes which were way too small. If it's a problem, instead of breaking a single egg in each tomato, whip two eggs together and divide it into three tomatoes so there's less than one egg in each. The best bet would be to use larger tomatoes, though. I used three eggs today and I waste an entire egg in spillage on my cookie sheet.

- The original recipe keeps the yolk intact. I prefer hard yolk, so I just broke it and swooshed it around a little before baking.

Replies

• cj1234cj23
    cj1234cj23 Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    Sounds absolutely yummy! Will have to try this one out. Thanks
  • maestrachistosa
    maestrachistosa Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    bump!
  • clvdandj
    clvdandj Posts: 76
    Options
    Sounds amazing!!! I'm gonna try this!
  • irishgal44
    irishgal44 Posts: 1,181 Member
    Options
    Thank you so much for posting this!! One of my new fav combos are all of these ingredients in an omlette. I assume mushrooms would by yummy in there as well - FOR SURE will try this. :)
  • katnotfat
    katnotfat Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    I'm totally going to make these wednesday for my boyfriend's birthday. so excited!! already bought the ingredients this morning :-)
  • Foxworth81
    Foxworth81 Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    How creative! I can't wait to try this this weekend, or better yet, on "breakfast for dinner night" this week. Thanks!
  • summerfun21
    summerfun21 Posts: 47
    Options
    Mmmm..well be trying this one tomorrow morning. Thanks for sharing!!
  • ang83
    ang83 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    looks fantastic. thanks for sharing!
  • shander7
    shander7 Posts: 613 Member
    Options
    sounds delicous!
  • freerange
    freerange Posts: 1,722 Member
    Options
    I will have to try this, I bet it would be good to mix the eggs with the spinach and cheese then pour into the tomato
  • VixFit2011
    VixFit2011 Posts: 663 Member
    Options
    Yum! Bumping to save this.
  • __flexylexi
    __flexylexi Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    bump to save
  • peacehawk
    peacehawk Posts: 421 Member
    Options
    Yum! Some of my favorite foods all together in their own cups! Can't wait to try this. It would probably also be good as a brunch/party dish. Like little quiches, but without thefatty shell. Maybe scrambling the eggs and using romas as a healthy h'oursederve (I know I massaquered that spelling). Oh the possibilities... :tongue:
  • ashahl
    ashahl Posts: 81
    Options
    BUMP!
    So making this tomorrow morning!
  • Joanna28
    Joanna28 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    BUMP!

I might do this with some cous cous and salad for dinner. YUM!
  • ysamatar
    ysamatar Posts: 484 Member
    Options
    Bump! Thank you.
  • ashahl
    ashahl Posts: 81
    Options
    I'm sorry but this was literally the worst recipe I have ever made. I followed the directions exactly but it just did not work! The egg did not set even after 50 minutes in the oven (and my oven is in great working condition) and the tomatoes fell apart after having been cooked for so long spilling the contents all over the tinfoil (thank you for that step by the way, saved me a lot of cleanup :) ) I ended up having to make myself something else to eat and was STARVING by the time I did. I don't know what went wrong.
  • greent101
    greent101 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Sounds yummy and healthy. I will definitely give it a try.
  • Ruthyjenks
    Ruthyjenks Posts: 32
    Options
    That sounds delicious..mmmm
  • Firewhirrrl
    Firewhirrrl Posts: 144
    Options
    Super bump