Feeling a touch ill, workout or rest?

Options
Wouldn't you know it, no sooner did we figure out that my sensor for EA Sports Active wasn't broken (dead battery in a new pack), than I wake up tired, congested, and with a sore throat. I had hoped to get back on track with my nine-week program, but feel more like taking a nap. Bah. I honestly don't think it's more than a cold, but between that and all my sports bras being in the laundry, it's easy to make excuses today. :)

Replies

• Tap17601
    Tap17601 Posts: 1
    Options
    Try to do something, even if it's less intense than normal.
  • kimjoan
    kimjoan Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    Listen to your body, it is working overtime to fight off a bug. My experience has been that if I do heavy exercising while I am sick the cold/flu/whatever hangs on longer - your body is an awesome machine but it is only equipped to do/take so much. What I generally do when I am sick is stick to just walking the dogs for 45 minutes or so and skip the gym workout.
  • purple_punk
    purple_punk Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    last Saturday i felt really ill & couldn't do my workout (30DS) i was so disappointed i just stayed in bed got some rest, i felt better about 1am & did my workout, felt sooo good :)
  • road2peachtree
    road2peachtree Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    REST! REST! REST! Did I say rest?
  • srp2011
    srp2011 Posts: 1,829 Member
    Options
    I would take it easy while you are sick - rest and focus on getting better. If you feel compelled to do something, maybe a light walk.
  • samanthalynch03
    Options
    I would definitely try, even doing a little will leave you feeling like you accomplished something.

Good Luck!
  • AllieCatNeal
    Options
    Unless you're puking, work out. My hubby is a runner who is a former NCAA athlete and MS State High School Cross Country champion and he and his coaches all say that some of the most stellar performances and many world records were set by athletes who were sick with the flu or something else. He in fact set a state record after puking at the starting line and then promptly puked again when he crossed the finish. I never get out of a workout with him and I inevitably feel better after anyway, especially when it's just a cold!
  • mexiana
    mexiana Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    Agreed, work out but not intensely, go for a nice walk! I've seen the advice recently that if it's in the head, workout, if it's lower (ie chest cold) take a break!
  • silvafan
    silvafan Posts: 147
    Options
    I would rest, I got sick a few weeks back and it totally knocked me on my butt! Rest up and drink lots of fluids. Just because you can't hit the gym doesn't mean you can't continue you to eat good. Stay focused and rest up!
  • kgool
    kgool Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    To me it all depends on the sickness. Sometimes if I am just a little buggy feeling a good sweat seems to get it all out and I feel better. This might just be endorphins making me feel better. Other times if you are really sick and running a high fever I know it is a bad idea to work out, your heart is already working harder normally from being sick and fighting the infection. Your body should tell you.
  • nurseaim
    nurseaim Posts: 146
    Options
    Speaking from personal experience and from the medical side...when you feel as if you are coming down with something, the worst thing you can do is put more stress on your body. Give your body plenty of rest and water. Warm or hot liquids such as tea are good for aiding in soothing throats. Possibly see a doctor if you start having a fever or 102 or higher. This may be the starts of a strep-infection. Take care of yourself, you'll get back into the exercise routine. MFP friends are really motivating with exercising.

Take care...feel better soon!:flowerforyou:
  • TDGee
    TDGee Posts: 2,209 Member
    Options
    Speaking from personal experience and from the medical side...when you feel as if you are coming down with something, the worst thing you can do is put more stress on your body. Give your body plenty of rest and water. Warm or hot liquids such as tea are good for aiding in soothing throats. Possibly see a doctor if you start having a fever or 102 or higher. This may be the starts of a strep-infection. Take care of yourself, you'll get back into the exercise routine. MFP friends are really motivating with exercising.

Take care...feel better soon!:flowerforyou:

While you make some great points, I tend to disagree. If you are feeling like it's just a cold or something, take some tylenol or dayquil or something to help with the symptoms and do a modified workout. Sometimes, a little sweat will make you feel much better. Do not overdo it though. If you have a temp >102.5, then by all means rest, as the fever is your boy telling you it's fighting something. Fluids are the key here as they are so much of the time. Listen to your body, and not just the excuses. I know mine tells me to sit down and have a beer instead of getting on the bike or going for a walk all the time! Hope you kick this quickly!!
  • ColoradoRobin
    ColoradoRobin Posts: 510 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone. I did some housework (lots of trips up and down the stairs) but no dedicated exercise. I've also been researching exercises and routines I can do when our new gym opens next week. I'm really looking forward to the classes and fancy new equipment! Still feeling congested with post-nasal drip irritating my throat, so I'm taking it easy for today. I'll exercise tomorrow if I feel up to it. I just can't let this get me off track. :)