Unique Teacher Appreciation Gifts

Options
NikkisNewStart
NikkisNewStart Posts: 1,100 Member
I am a teacher and my husband is an assistant principal... however, I will still ask this question... Do you have any ideas for a unique, thoughtful, and/or useful gift to give a kindergarten and a 3rd grade teacher for teacher appreciation week? Please no candles, chocolate, etc... please send some suggestions my way. Thanks!!!

Replies

• inskydiamonds
    inskydiamonds Posts: 2,519 Member
    Options
    One year my mom handmade aprons for my teachers as Christmas presents. She bought premade plain aprons and then decorated them by painting them and heat transferring fabric designs onto the aprons.

Granted, my mom is super artsy and crafty. They were pretty cute.
  • caitlinlws
    caitlinlws Posts: 401 Member
    Options
    My cousin is a second grade teacher and she says the things that she likes receving most are gift cards, since it is something she can actually use and not another mug or candle...not sure if that's what you're looking for but hope it helps!
  • Leigh_b
    Leigh_b Posts: 552 Member
    Options
    I usually give gift cards... even $5.00 or $10.00 to starbucks or Barnes & Noble can be appreciated...
  • whiskey9890
    whiskey9890 Posts: 652 Member
    Options
    a hand made bookmark
  • Jessaamine
    Jessaamine Posts: 111
    Options
    I am a teacher and I appreciate Starbucks gift cards!
  • mexiana
    mexiana Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    I'm a teacher and a mommy and I UNDERSTAND! I do not have any more room for teacher mugs in my cupboard! haha

As a mom, at Christmas, I bake cheesecakes for my children's teachers. They LOVE them! I would say anything homemade would be definitely appreciated.

As a teacher, I will add that no matter what the gift is, it's what is written in the card that touches my heart the most, makes me cry at times, and is what I pull out to reread when I'm having a rough week.
  • dalzinho
    dalzinho Posts: 52
    Options
    I said to my class that I like red wine and dark chocolate. Before I was cutting :)

And my goodness were they generous! Kept me drunk for a summer!
  • bethvandenberg
    bethvandenberg Posts: 1,496 Member
    Options
    We do gift cards as I find that all teachers that I've met spend their money to cover costs. I think dinner/music/general cards are the best. If you don't want to go the gift card route how about homemade coupons or something.
  • Mishy
    Mishy Posts: 1,551 Member
    Options
    a tree! (or a baby tree)

such as one from a place like this http://www.themagnoliacompany.com/seeds/?gclid=CKz7u-biv6gCFcY65Qodon7Epg
  • NikkisNewStart
    Options
    Thanks for the suggestions! We don't get allocation money any more for supplies so without parent donations or coming out of pocket- it doesn't get into the classroom for the kids. That's just the way it is in our county.

Would you rather give a *personal* gift card or a *classroom use* gift card? Tough choice for me...
  • NikkisNewStart
    Options
    PS... I have donated reams of paper, other supplies, etc. throughout the year... whenever something is needed for a craft project or party I usually buy it (or at least the most expensive things)....
  • adfranks
    adfranks Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    Gift card to local coffee place :)
  • shakemybooty
    shakemybooty Posts: 681 Member
    Options
    My friend and I were just talking about this yesterday. She was giving the two teachers gas gift cards and all the other aides Extra gum as thanks for going the Extra Mile.
  • littttlelaurra
    littttlelaurra Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    My daughter is a teacher and she loves getting book store gift cards so she can replenish her open reading book shelf in her class room for when the students have free reading time. I think its a perfect gift.
  • NikkisNewStart
    Options
    Last week I did all of the hard boiled eggs for the entire class to dye for Easter (I did about 3 dozen) and a couple of weeks before that I donated a flat of plants for the flower garden... I'm thinking something personal for the teacher since I've already given so much to the school? But I know there is so much that they need as well (being a teacher- there is always something on your wish list).
  • NikkisNewStart
    Options
    oooooo Gas cards! Brilliant!!!
  • Colleen1980
    Colleen1980 Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    I'm also a teacher and love gift cards and also a bracelet I was given with a teacher's prayer engraved on it. Also, we watched an excerpt of The Simpsons in class once, because we were discussing Classical composers and there is an episode where Bart imagines he is Mozart. The kids loved it, and one of my students later brought me a Bart figurine dressed like Mozart! I thought it was so cute and sweet that he saw it and thought enough of me to want to buy it for me. Maybe talk to your kids and see if they have any special memories of fun things the teacher did with them--I know that meant a lot to me. :-) Hope that helps!
  • binary_jester
    binary_jester Posts: 3,311 Member
    Options
    peanut butter cookies...then you get to find out who has peanut allergies!
  • NikkisNewStart
    Options
    Would a Dollar Tree gift card be cheesy? I was thinking she could get tissues, school supplies, etc... since they have everything... and she can get 9 items plus tax... lol Ok that is kinda cheesy but seriously... thoughts!!!