Question for anyone using or who has used Weight Watchers...

Options
ali106
ali106 Posts: 3,754 Member
hey there...

Was wondering what your opinions were of the program....there are three girls here using the program and granted they just started but wow! they are vanishing.....I'm just curious if you guys had the same results.

I thought it was basically like this program...which I love....but was just curious and also was thinking its probably also because in the beginning you lose a lot....then it evens out...like me....or that's what I am TRYING to convince myself of anyway....:laugh:

hugs and thanks for any info!
Ali :drinker:

Replies

• ali106
    Options
    hey there...

Was wondering what your opinions were of the program....there are three girls here using the program and granted they just started but wow! they are vanishing.....I'm just curious if you guys had the same results.

I thought it was basically like this program...which I love....but was just curious and also was thinking its probably also because in the beginning you lose a lot....then it evens out...like me....or that's what I am TRYING to convince myself of anyway....:laugh:

hugs and thanks for any info!
  • laurenk182004
    laurenk182004 Posts: 1,882 Member
    Options
    I have used weight watchers b4, I lost an initial large amount, like 20 pounds or so, and then gave up. my mom on the other hand lost about 80lbs using the program and she loved it. I loved it as well. One of the great things about weight watchers is that high fiber foods have lower points and u can make Zero point soups with veggies, or just load up on veggies in general. I think too that air popped popcorn is a zero point food, not sure though. Anywho, I liked it, Ali my love :)
  • memaw66
    memaw66 Posts: 2,558 Member
    Options
    I did WW a few years back and I loved it. I loved going to the meetings. I lost 40lbs.
  • emikarls
    emikarls Posts: 1,058 Member
    Options
    With my experience in WW, I did the points, I found it VERY similar to what we are doing here. You have to eat your points, like we have to eat our calories. If you excerise, you get extra points, just like here....

If you would like, I could give you the information for you to find out how many points you get, so you can compare it with what you are doing here. Just message me and I would be happy to give you that information.

To SIMPLIFY it, (I know it is a formula, I am just giving a basic anwser)....every POINT is about 50 cal.
  • connieq288
    connieq288 Posts: 1,102 Member
    Options
    my sister and her husband is on weight watchers and they have done quite well on it. They use the pts system. I am not on weight watchers but I have just started eating their smart ones frozen meals that you can buy at the grocery store and I really like them. In fact I just ate chicken parmesan for lunch and it was only 290 cals for a little piece of chicken and some spaghettie. I figure they are good enough for lunch.

Connie

86258.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
  • ali106
    Options
    wow you guys that's great! hmmmm I know there a few folks who are doing both....

see the thing that is driving me nuts is I LOVE this place....the learning to eat my portions and eating back your cals etc makes total sense....but my loss is going rather slow:ohwell: ...so i was thinking there are some that are doing both....maybe I'll check it out and see....I have this 4-0 approaching and I know my main goal is to be healthy and happy and here for as long as I can for my son....but hey being fit and forty is along those lines right?! LOL

anyway thanks so much!
    hugs!
  • Javancub
    Javancub Posts: 181
    Options
    My mom and I have also tried it....I had lost about 20lbs and my mom had lost about 60lbs. We both loved it. My mom hasn't done it in awhile, and she's still keeping the weight off. I liked the fact that i didn't have to give up my fav foods. I would have gone back, but i wanted to try a free way of losing weight.
  • emikarls
    emikarls Posts: 1,058 Member
    Options
    I have used weight watchers b4, I lost an initial large amount, like 20 pounds or so, and then gave up. my mom on the other hand lost about 80lbs using the program and she loved it. I loved it as well. One of the great things about weight watchers is that high fiber foods have lower points and u can make Zero point soups with veggies, or just load up on veggies in general. I think too that air popped popcorn is a zero point food, not sure though. Anywho, I liked it, Ali my love :)

That is why I stopped using WW, I found myself having the hardest time eating my points, I was just doing it WRONG! I would eat the 0 point soup and A LOT of popcorn, and cucumbers. And at the end of the day, I was only at 6 points, and thought WOO HOO! I can go get a double quarter pounder and still be under my points! Yeah, I failed, because I was so not ready. For some reason this works better for me....maybe because I am not playing games anymore. I would bank my points, and eat badly, but still be under. I was the poster child for doing it the wrong way!:embarassed:
  • TamTastic
    TamTastic Posts: 19,224 Member
    Options
    Hey you!

I have done WW in the past before and it is a GREAT program and it does the calorie counting for you with the points system, so it is pretty fool proof.

For me personally, I find this to be more beneficial just because I am really becoming aware of the number of calories in things as well as teaching myself about portion control, etc. I just think for me to do this forever, I have to know how to do that. And I would find that if I were out with friends and couldn't find out the exact points....I would "guesstimate" too often...like "Well, this SEEMS to be about 4 points", etc....

So just good old fashioned calorie counting like I do on here helps to keep me more accountable for every single calorie going into my body.

But the key is finding something that will work for you. So, if you think WW points system might help you by making things a bit easier..then by all means, check it out! :wink:

Hugs!:heart:
    -Tam
  • JessicaT2007
    JessicaT2007 Posts: 553 Member
    Options
    I lost about 20 lbs on WW. I loved it and it worked very well. I find this to be very similar, except for the points system accounts for fiber and fiber can help you eat more of something. I still kind of do the points thing on here.
  • arrestaad
    Options
    My wife and I have used Weight Watchers and so has my mother. I have found since using MFP that the focus at WW was on the scale. My wife and I have changed our eating habits and have started an exercise program since joining MFP and the results have been awesome! I always lost quick with WW, but I always gained it back quick also!:-( In my opinion, education in nutrition in the key.:smile:
    Brian
    79357.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
  • Emdicio
    Emdicio Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    Hey you!

I have done WW in the past before and it is a GREAT program and it does the calorie counting for you with the points system, so it is pretty fool proof.

For me personally, I find this to be more beneficial just because I am really becoming aware of the number of calories in things as well as teaching myself about portion control, etc. I just think for me to do this forever, I have to know how to do that. And I would find that if I were out with friends and couldn't find out the exact points....I would "guesstimate" too often...like "Well, this SEEMS to be about 4 points", etc....

So just good old fashioned calorie counting like I do on here helps to keep me more accountable for every single calorie going into my body.

But the key is finding something that will work for you. So, if you think WW points system might help you by making things a bit easier..then by all means, check it out! :wink:

-Tam

+1, WW totally works like this site (counts your calories, eat your exercise cals, etc) and you can definitely lose weight with it (I lost, but later regained, ~35 pounds a couple of years ago). I eventually stopped because of the cost to use the online tools and the eventual realization that, while I was eating within my calorie limits, I wasn't really eating good quality food. I was just focusing on the points. For me, I needed to do a better job of knowing "how" to eat if I was going to succeed in the long term and I found living by the points system just masked the underlying decision making process. Finding this sight has been terrific so far and I hope to post up numbers like Tam's in the next 12-15 months.

Good program so long as you develop the tools to live "after" your success. Cheers......Mike
  • TamTastic
    TamTastic Posts: 19,224 Member
    Options
    Hey you!

-Tam

+1, WW totally works like this site (counts your calories, eat your exercise cals, etc) and you can definitely lose weight with it (I lost, but later regained, ~35 pounds a couple of years ago). I eventually stopped because of the cost to use the online tools and the eventual realization that, while I was eating within my calorie limits, I wasn't really eating good quality food. I was just focusing on the points. For me, I needed to do a better job of knowing "how" to eat if I was going to succeed in the long term and I found living by the points system just masked the underlying decision making process. Finding this sight has been terrific so far and I hope to post up numbers like Tam's in the next 12-15 months.

Good program so long as you develop the tools to live "after" your success. Cheers......Mike

You will!!!! Just keep on, keepin on!!! :bigsmile: :wink:
  • ali106
    Options
    wow great input and advice you guys!!! thanks again:drinker:

I think I'll be stickin' w/ MFP regardless because it has taught me to eyeball an amount and know what a cup is of cereal is...lol...and to be accountable for it among many other things.

I was sooo hard core when I first started and then I went a bit lax for like a good month or two...:embarassed: never gained but never lost...so now I'm back at hard core and I'm feeling more of a loss....so ya....I just wanted to find out what you all thought and WEIGH the options!:bigsmile:

ps on a side note...I just had a small convo w/ a fellow coworker who uses WW and raved about you guys and MFP and I showed her the food/exercise tools and I think she'll be joining us shortly LOL...she was like wow!!! ....me too wow! :smooched:

thanks so much!
    hugs!
    Ali :flowerforyou: