how can i get a better relationship with food?

bigmamma3
bigmamma3 Posts: 134
edited September 26 in Health and Weight Loss
As the title says how can i get a better relationship with food. i can't seem to get past the whole food=fat out of my head. i know its notgood for me but I'm not exactly wasting away but i know i need to change as I've started getting panicy around supermarkets and my hair is falling out more than usua. i eat about 800cal a day ive been trying really hard to eat more the last couple of days but sometimes i just can't do it.

i have always been told to lose weight i must eat less even my dr keeps telling me i must be lying and eating to much. has anyone elsehad this problem and how did u deal with it?

Replies

• Melis25Fit
    Melis25Fit Posts: 811 Member
    I used to feel this way. I saw a nutritionalist several times. Good Investment. I think maybe try that....
  • ouryear002
    ouryear002 Posts: 325 Member
    Go to a different doctor. Saying you are lying is not helpful! Losing hair could be a sign of a medical problem. It could also be stress. Blood work would be needed to make sure there is not an underlying problem. A therapist would be able to help you with the food issues and anxiety. And if you have a history of only eating 800 calories you are not eating enough to keep your metabolism working properly, which can slow weight loss. Get better help!
  • janalayn
    janalayn Posts: 510 Member
    You aren't eating enough ... your net calories for the day need to be at least 1200. Try thinking about it like filling up your car. It can't run without gas ... your body cannot function without food.
  • Rtrue18
    Rtrue18 Posts: 45
    800 calories is not enough!!! You should never eat under 1200. I don't know who your doctor is that Ok'd you eating that little but he should be fired. Your body is in starvation mode and so every calorie and gram of fat you give it, it just holds on to it because it doesn't know when it will get food again. I know it sounds strange to eat more to loose weight but in your case you really need to!
  • sarahazelnut99
    sarahazelnut99 Posts: 307 Member
    you need to talk to your food...see how they feel about you and where this relationship is going. maybe youve been to busy at work to notice food....and you need to offer yoru food much more love and attention.
    But if food is hurting you then you need to find a new food...somefood who knows how to take care of you because your worth more then what food is giving you.
  • muddmorris
    muddmorris Posts: 6 Member
    I would highly recommend changing doctors and getting your thyroid levels checked. Low thyroid hormone can lead to hair loss, weight gain, fatigue, depression-like symptoms. Please get yourself to a new doctor and request that bloodwork be done. I don't see how you're functioning on 800 calories a day... I'm suprised you haven't passed out!
  • bigmamma3
    bigmamma3 Posts: 134
    800 calories is not enough!!! You should never eat under 1200. I don't know who your doctor is that Ok'd you eating that little but he should be fired. Your body is in starvation mode and so every calorie and gram of fat you give it, it just holds on to it because it doesn't know when it will get food again. I know it sounds strange to eat more to loose weight but in your case you really need to!
    my doctor didn't ask what i ate i said i don't eat much and all he said was that if i can't be honest with myself about the amount i eat and cut it down then i won't lose. he also gave me xenical (orlistat)
    l
  • dietitiandanielle
    dietitiandanielle Posts: 13 Member
    800 calories is definitely not enough fuel for your body and as the others in this thread have noted, it can backfire. Your metabolism is likely reduced as it will "power down " to conserve energy AND will be less likely to relinquish existing energy (fat) stores. 1200 calories is the bare minimum you should be eating. Also, with such a reduction in calories comes a reduction in the much needed macronutrients (like protein) that can be causing your hair loss. In terms of your psychological relationship with food, do you think if you thought about your food in terms of the health benefits it gives you, you could reframe your thinking to a more positive side? For instance, if you had a meal of brown rice, chicken and vegetables-instead of thinking "this meal is 300 calories, I'm going to gain weight", could you instead think "this brown rice will give me fiber which will help fill me up and keep my energy going, this chicken will give me protein which can help my muscles" etc. Even if you don't emotionally buy into immediately...fake it til you make it meaning...repeat until you believe it.
  • sarahazelnut99
    sarahazelnut99 Posts: 307 Member
    your doctor sounds like a ****
  • runningfromzombies
    runningfromzombies Posts: 386 Member
    As the title says how can i get a better relationship with food. i can't seem to get past the whole food=fat out of my head. i know its notgood for me but I'm not exactly wasting away but i know i need to change as I've started getting panicy around supermarkets and my hair is falling out more than usua. i eat about 800cal a day ive been trying really hard to eat more the last couple of days but sometimes i just can't do it.

i have always been told to lose weight i must eat less even my dr keeps telling me i must be lying and eating to much. has anyone elsehad this problem and how did u deal with it?

Your doctor sounds horrible. :(

Everyone else has already mentioned why you need to eat more than 800 calories, so I'll just say this: the panic around supermarkets and the obsession with food=fat could be the early signs of an eating disorder. I'd suggest seeing a different doctor, emphasis on the DIFFERENT. You're already keeping a nice food diary on this site, so show him or her that. But I can see from your entries that you've been trying to eat more during the past few days, and that's great. (: Your deficit is just too big for you to lose weight, even though that sounds counterintuitive. All the exercise without eating those calories back is putting your body in starvation mode--it holds onto everything it can because resources are limited. Good luck, and feel free to friend me! :flowerforyou:
This discussion has been closed.