Sugar

Options
sarah44254
sarah44254 Posts: 3,078 Member
I would love a list of foods that have little to no sugar in them.

I have 1,000 calories left for the day and have decided that I would like to really focus on keeping my sugar down today. I have eaten 500 calories so far and already had the 31g of sugar allotted to me in my food diary.

What do you eat that has little or no sugar?

Please do not include 'diet' substitutes, I try to limit the amount of excess chemicals I consume, therefore I avoid all 'sugar free sweeteners' (aspartame, saccharine, so on...)

Thank you very much for any suggestions!

Replies

• NoAdditives
    NoAdditives Posts: 4,251 Member
    Options
    cucumber
    celery
    broccoli
    cauliflower
    nuts
    beans
    corn tortillas
    eggs
    cheese
    salad
    pasta with meatballs
    beef jerky (depending on the flavor)
  • angeljamin
    angeljamin Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    I think South Beach when I'm high on my sugar goal. Things like cheese, meat and most vegetables, but stay away from condiments and most salad dressings. No fruit, crackers, pasta or bread. Good luck! :smile:
  • Meganne1982
    Meganne1982 Posts: 451
    Options
    almonds, macadamia nuts, cheese, hard boiled eggs, cucumber, bell peppers, broccoli, blue cheese dressing with those veggies... :)
  • fitterpam
    fitterpam Posts: 3,086 Member
    Options
    My new favourite is whipped peanut butter. It's a consistency that makes it perfect on veggies as a dip. 1g Sugar per TBSP......plus the veggies, of course......

I have the same issues and I'm finding a lot of the foods with higher proteins have less sugar (and the sugar they do have is absorbed differently because of the effects of the protein)....Fibre would have a similar effect.

Going to keep my eye on this thread though. Enquiring minds want to know!
  • sarah44254
    Options
    Ohh beans! I have a large amount of beans and haven't tried to cook anything with them yet. That sounds like a fantastic idea!

I wish I had more vegetables right now, they seem like an excellent option.
  • monky13grl
    monky13grl Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    I have that problem too! It is the one thing I am always looking at and trying to get it lower. However, I have just decided that if it is going to be high, that I should have the right kids of sugar. For example, fruits instead of candy- etc. I started doing it after I read an article about simple vs complex carbs/sugar. I didn't change anything except the types of sugars I eat and I noticed it right away in my weight loss. I still try to keep it low, but I pay more attention to where it is coming from now instead of how much. Hope this helps.
  • fitterpam
    fitterpam Posts: 3,086 Member
    Options
    I have that problem too! It is the one thing I am always looking at and trying to get it lower. However, I have just decided that if it is going to be high, that I should have the right kids of sugar. For example, fruits instead of candy- etc. I started doing it after I read an article about simple vs complex carbs/sugar. I didn't change anything except the types of sugars I eat and I noticed it right away in my weight loss. I still try to keep it low, but I pay more attention to where it is coming from now instead of how much. Hope this helps.

Yeah - I try and make sure that when I eat anythign with sugar that I make sure I do it with protein or fibre - both will slow the absorption of the sugar into your blood stream, causing an insulin spike (something everyone should be aware of, not just diabetics) :flowerforyou:
  • sarah44254
    Options
    Where can I learn more about absorption of sugar and insulin reactions. I keep seeing this mentioned and am honestly ignorant about it. It sounds like something important to know!
  • Meganne1982
    Meganne1982 Posts: 451
    Options
    Where can I learn more about absorption of sugar and insulin reactions. I keep seeing this mentioned and am honestly ignorant about it. It sounds like something important to know!

"Good Calories, Bad Calories" by Gary Taubes.

If you have netflix or hulu the documentary "Fat Head" explains this stuff at one point, in a way that's easy to understand, and in a humorous way :)