Anyone Live or have Lived in Minnesota

Options
Hi Everyone,

I was offered a job in The Twin Cities and wondering if anyone is currently living in the area or has lived in the area that can give me there thoughts on Minneapolis/St. Paul? I spent a few days there last week and think it looks very nice, but i'm wondering about the people, culture, best/safest places to live, etc. Any info would be greatly appreciated.

BTW, if I do move out there I will be building a new restaurant in Minneapolis, if that sways anyones opinion of the place! :tongue:

Replies

• agralston
    Options
    Hi Everyone,

I was offered a job in The Twin Cities and wondering if anyone is currently living in the area or has lived in the area that can give me there thoughts on Minneapolis/St. Paul? I spent a few days there last week and think it looks very nice, but i'm wondering about the people, culture, best/safest places to live, etc. Any info would be greatly appreciated.

BTW, if I do move out there I will be building a new restaurant in Minneapolis, if that sways anyones opinion of the place! :tongue:
  • granola_girl
    Options
    My husband and I used to live there. We loved it! We still have family there. There are some great areas to live, and things to do on the trails, and lakes. If you need any details about specific areas just ask!
  • agralston
    Options
    My wife is from there, lived in South St. Paul, but never ventured out to the cities. I think I would like to live right in Downtown Minneapolis, but want to make sure that would be safe. We also thought of St. Louis Park or Bloomington. Any thoughts on these areas?
  • emmab3ar
    emmab3ar Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    I've been living in MN for 10 years. Like most cities it's got it's good and bad. I HATE driving in the snow and I hate the cold. In the summer time it can be pretty hot but it's not that bad. There's a lot to do in MN especially in the Twin Cities. If you like to fish there's a lot of places to fish. Many good restaurants and site seeing. Although personally in the future I plan to move out of MN because I dont like the snow. I'd say don't live in MPLS or STP live in a small suburb outside of the cities like Maplewood, White Bear Lake, South Saint Paul, and Eagan. It's close to the cities and it keeps you away from all the noise.
  • mhosner
    mhosner Posts: 264 Member
    Options
    I graduated from John F. Kennedy in Bloomington, MN. Lived there for 3 years only and it was during high school so I am not much help when it comes to cost of living, etc. My older sister lives there with her family and love it there. They are a block from the Mall of America. As a person who loved there, we didn't go to the mall unless we had to - but the city of Bloomington has everything you need or within a short drive. Once a year I go out to see my sister. My girls have a great time out there enjoying the YMCA, and parks, and the Falls, and of course the mall. Bloomington is divided into East and West. One side is your higher class, and the other lower but by no means poor. There is a nice mix of all types of culture, and has a lower crime rate then Minneapolis. I would recommend Bloomington to anyone looking to move out that way. Let me if you decide to open something up there and/or where and I will tell my sister to take some friends in for a test drive. :bigsmile: She is always looking for something new.
  • chilli
    chilli Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    My son and daughter in law live there, suburb of Chaska, I visited in June and loved the area especially lake Minnetonka. They like it there and find it (Minneapolis a nice place) although as has been mentioned the snow can be bad apparently. I loved the Mall of America ...had a quick visit the day of my flight home, wish they'd taken me sooner for a longer look around! Don't think my credit card or suitcase would have liked it though!!!!!
    :laugh:
  • agralston
    Options
    Thanks everyone, this information is very helpful. I'll keep everyone updated about the new restaurant!!
  • littleissac
    Options
    Hi there! I currently live in Southwest Minneapolis and have lived in the area for about ten years. Even though I originally came just for grad school, my husband and I fell in love with the Twin Cities and decided to stay. The parks are beautiful, the neighborhoods/communities are strong, and the people are friendly and open-minded. I'm originally from a warmer climate, so the winters were (and still are) a little too cold/long for my taste. BUT I've grown to love the snow and the seasonal changes. I've found that the cities do a great job of plowing, so driving isn't too, too bad. Finally, in terms of choosing a neighborhood, I would recommend SW Minneapolis neighborhoods like Linden Hills, Armatage or Kenny that are close to Lake Harriet or Mac-Groveland in St Paul. In these areas, houses are more expensive, but the neighborhood communities are amazing, and it is fun being able to walk to cool restaurants, coffee shops, libraries, lakes/parks, and the gym. It isn't hard to find motivation to exercise when the walk around Lake Harriet is gorgeous (just don't stop for ice cream or popcorn at the bandstand)! -Alina
  • mhosner
    mhosner Posts: 264 Member
    Options
    http://www.kodakgallery.com/BrowsePhotos.jsp?UV=421362485242_151359906209&collid=11746618309.707343705209.1219086080869&page=1&sort_order=0&navfolderid=0&folderid=0&ownerid=0

Not sure if this link will work. But if so here are some pictures of the falls. Favorite part of the trip this past year.
  • SkinnyMama
    SkinnyMama Posts: 146
    Options
    I spent the first 21 years of my life in MN and I can't wait to get back! My husband an I moved while he is in Grad School, but he is looking for a job there when he is done. All my family lives there and it is a beautiful state. There are tones of things to do out doors and beautiful thing to see, there is a lake everywhere you look!! It doesn't have mountains to compete with CO, but all the water is just too much fun!
    Minneapolis and St. Paul are both beautiful Cities. They are clean and the people are what you might call Minnesota Nice.

Winters can get a little long, and they can get a good amount of snow, but i would not let that have a negative effect on your decision, because the Summers are pretty nice and there is a tone to during the winter too. When winter is long MN's will tell you, you can't hide out inside you have to get out and celebrate it! Plus if anyone who has lived in Mn and then lived somewhere else where they still get snow they will tell you that the MN Freeway Plowers are great!!! There is no closing the whole town for a couple inches of snow. Oh no, those plows are out before you even know it!!

Depending on what you are looking for there are a ton of nice places to live in and around the Twin Cities. There are older cities like Edina, Minnetonka, and newer suburbs like Plymouth and Maple Grove. On the south side of the cities there is Burnsville, Lakeville, and Eden Prairie. If you want to live dirrectly in the cities there are different neighborhoods that are good and bad just like any other city. The suggestion of Linden Hills, is beautiful! And you can't beat the beautiful sites around Lake Harriet, and Lake Calhoun. I love the Twin Cities and I know the area pretty well. If you have any questions feel free to send me a note.

Good luck with the Job and maybe my husband and I will have to check out your new restaurant next time we are visiting MN!