Seeking flat stomach success stories (and pics)!!!

Happyoceangirl
Happyoceangirl Posts: 1,993 Member
It just occurred to me that maybe, just maybe, it IS possible to achieve a stomach that is tight, toned and slim...... I always thought those results were for "other people" and that no matter what I do, I'm destined to carry any extra weight in my middle. Today I realized, wait!!! "Other people" get those results because they worked for it, right? So if I work (correctly) for it, I can get those results too!!

I'm at a healthy weight for my height, I'm in decent shape, do regular cardio exercise and am adding in resistance training, and yet, the belly fat remains. By faithfully doing some targeted exercise, my core has strengthened quite a bit, and while my midsection has toned up, there's still too much excess fat. Doing planks yesterday, there was this hanging column of fat (2-3 inches wide) down the middle of my stomach. I suppose that's better than when my entire stomach hung down, but .... it's not pretty people. And it's not just "extra skin". In any other position, the pinch and grab test confirms that this stubborn fat is filling the skin.

I suspect that getting the results I want will come down to a dietary commitment that I haven't been willing to make. So I'm doing my research!

Please, share your story, along with pictures. I'm especially interested to hear from those of you who had stubborn belly fat and can give evidence of a significant transformation. Let us know how you did it - 1) what exercises, how often, 2) what dietary guidelines and commitments you made, and 3) what it has taken to maintain your results. Also, any motivational or inspirational tips for maintaining stamina to reach the goal would be greatly appreciated!

Replies

• pelleld
    pelleld Posts: 363 Member
    oohhhh......I am interested in this too!
  • dracobaby82
    dracobaby82 Posts: 380 Member
    I agree and am interested in knowing as well! From what I've heard it's all about what you are eating... but don't really know what that is supposed to be LOL
  • Great thread!!
  • laurenlei
    laurenlei Posts: 96
    ditto.. i want to know it is actually possible!!!!
  • I'm interested too. I have that same column of fat problem. I thought once I was in the 120s it would go away. Obviously not.
  • Yocum1219
    Yocum1219 Posts: 400 Member
    Would love to hear some! After 2 c-sections...I'm gonna have issues when it gets to that point, once I lose the weight.
  • GaveUp
    GaveUp Posts: 308
    I totally understand. I am working hard daily on cardio, abs including planks daily. I think that if we just keep working on it eventually we will see the results..WE CAN DO THIS!!!

I LOVE TO HATE PLANKS!
  • Happyoceangirl
    I'm interested too. I have that same column of fat problem. I thought once I was in the 120s it would go away. Obviously not.

Sorry you suffer from it, but on the other hand, I'm relieved to know it's not just me! I'm like "WTF"?"" Hard to know how to describe it exactly.

Alright you MFP'ers with toned tummies - we need help! Pronto! :wink:
  • natekorpusik
    natekorpusik Posts: 176 Member
    I know I am a guy and most posters on this thread are ladies. But I figured the math would probably be the same. I am about half way through my journey of losing belly fat. I fell out of shape a few years back and let myself go as you will see in first picture. The last picture is today. So far I have lost many inches. I didn't do measurements before I started losing but I have lost at least 4 inches off of my belly since I have been measuring. I have done this through a combination of weight training and a lot of cardio. I run, bike, swim, and use the elliptical. I weight lift at least 3 times a week and I make sure I exercise every day. Along with counting calories I am pleased with the results so far. The main thing is understanding that you have to lose the fat from everywhere and not just the belly. Good luck with all of your journeys.

nateunfit.jpg

april282011.jpg
  • barbarella
    barbarella Posts: 609 Member
    I can tell you from past & present experience that DIET is a huge factor! :flowerforyou:

When I exercise like crazy and eat only very healthy small portions, BELLY FAT can still be an issue. :sad: :brokenheart:

At least for me & my body type, the foods to AVOID are:

** DAIRY (NO milk, yoghurt, cheese, ice cream), eggs OK
    ** WHEAT/GRAINS (NO pasta, bread, muffins etc.) except small amounts of brown rice, quinoa, amaranth)
    ** SUGAR (NO candy, soda, pastries, cakes etc.) small amounts of good chocolate OK
    ** PROCESSED FOODS (anything in a package, can or bag... except veggies!)
    ** FRIED/FAST FOODS (fries, burgers, hot dogs etc.)
    ** ALCOHOL (wine, beer, mixed drinks)

So what's left??? :laugh:

Meats, veggies, fruit, nuts & seeds, healthy oils. Works for me boys & girls!
    SUGAR & ALCOHOL are probably the biggest belly fat makers.

Best of luck all!!! :love: :flowerforyou: :drinker:
  • inktink
    inktink Posts: 135 Member
    I'm interested too. I have that same column of fat problem. I thought once I was in the 120s it would go away. Obviously not.

Sorry you suffer from it, but on the other hand, I'm relieved to know it's not just me! I'm like "WTF"?"" Hard to know how to describe it exactly.

Lol, I have never heard it called a column of fat but it makes perfect sense!! I love it :P

I, too, suffer from this COF disorder... Glad I'm not the only one!! Hopefully someone hear can hook us up with the answers..
  • Mcctin65
    Mcctin65 Posts: 507 Member
    Great posts! I am curious as well!
  • Happyoceangirl
    I know I am a guy and most posters on this thread are ladies. But I figured the math would probably be the same. I am about half way through my journey of losing belly fat. I fell out of shape a few years back and let myself go as you will see in first picture. The last picture is today. So far I have lost many inches. I didn't do measurements before I started losing but I have lost at least 4 inches off of my belly since I have been measuring. I have done this through a combination of weight training and a lot of cardio. I run, bike, swim, and use the elliptical. I weight lift at least 3 times a week and I make sure I exercise every day. Along with counting calories I am pleased with the results so far. The main thing is understanding that you have to lose the fat from everywhere and not just the belly. Good luck with all of your journeys.

nateunfit.jpg

april282011.jpg

Thanks for chiming in - you're looking GREAT! :flowerforyou: Your belly is definitely trimming down. With your diet, do you restrict any nutrients? Or are you mainly watching calories? Also, sounds like a varied workout has been helpful in overall fat loss.

The point you made about losing fat from everywhere is accurate, and I realize that. I guess the frustration (and reason for asking) is that the fat seems to be so much more stubborn in the mid-section. :grumble:

Now would be a good time to share "the paper towel theory" that I read here on MFP (can't properly attribute the source b/c i don't remember). Losing fat is like using up a roll of paper towels. At first, when the roll is full, it's barely noticeable when a few sheets are removed. As you get toward the end of the roll, removal of a single paper towel makes a visible difference in the size of the roll. Same with fat loss.

Sigh. :ohwell: Maybe I need patience as I'm slowly nearing the "end of my roll" (literally!) BUT I really want to speed this up.

Thank you for your photos and your tips.
  • brph26
    brph26 Posts: 207 Member
    I want to hear these too! I HATE doing planks for the same reason :frown:
  • barbarella
    barbarella Posts: 609 Member
    Great job Nate!!! Looking Good Man!!! :flowerforyou: :drinker:
  • cvanicek
    cvanicek Posts: 3 Member
    I don't know if I have EVER had the "flat stomach"...even growing up and I played 3 sports in high school and college softball too. Maybe I did, but I think I've always had a dissatisfaction with my stomach. Now after 2 kids...will it be possible? I am just as curious as the rest of you. I've been pretty committed to a healthy diet since January...trying to eat all the super-foods daily, non-processed stuff, veggies and whole grains - and I've lost about 6lbs (finally past the plateau I was at!). My husband says he notices a difference in my mid-section (believe it or not he told me, thinking it was a compliment, that my "over-hang" was smaller). And I'm down a pants size so I know that I've gotten smaller...but I STILL feel a flabby pooch on my stomach...even though I know there are abs under there! I guess we just have to keep plugging away - and I'm thinking that I will have to stop the mini-splurges (cookie or chocolate) - it's probably going straight to my belly!
  • natekorpusik
    natekorpusik Posts: 176 Member
    I watch calories, however it is important that the calories you are eating are good calories. Sodium is a killer. I also make sure to eat back my workout calories so that my body will process fat faster.
  • I'm interested too. I have that same column of fat problem. I thought once I was in the 120s it would go away. Obviously not.

Lol, I have never heard it called a column of fat but it makes perfect sense!! I love it :P

I, too, suffer from this COF disorder... Glad I'm not the only one!! Hopefully someone hear can hook us up with the answers..
    Just wishful thinking but, maybe we should do a plank in front of a mirror. Maybe it just looks worse cause we are looking down at it...
  • aimelee
    aimelee Posts: 216 Member
    ok, so it might not be SUPER flat, but considering i've never had any muscle tone in my life and had given up on that dream completely after having my son, i'm pretty happy with where i'm at now. i still get excited when i can see muscles in there. ha! :)
    i do my best to use my 1200 calories wisely, and i do jillian michales 30day shred 3-6 times a week. i've started trying to add in a little jogging when i can get outside before it gets dark, but thats a work in progress since i HATE jogging. hoping i can learn to love it!

Before:
    before.jpg

Now:
    221996_10150167174339756_513644755_6499965_5826385_n-1.jpg
  • FullOfSpice
    FullOfSpice Posts: 176 Member
    back when i had a super flat stomach that felt hard when you touched it.

Eating Habits:
    *Limited Alcohol,
    *Ate several small portions through out the day, including greek yogurt, salads loaded with veggies and grilled chicken, stayed away from carbs for the most part.

Exercise:
    Tu/Th - Spinning for 1 hour and Insanity workouts
    Wed/Sat - Boot Camp Style work outs and Ran 6 miles
    Monday/Friday - Personal Training mixed with Lifting and Cardio Intervals

As you can see I used to work out A LOT. So I think its about eating clean and working really hard! I wouldn't go so extreme now just because it's so hard to maintain that lifestyle. I didn't have that much time for anything else.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!