Confused

Options
I am new and trying to figure out the calores i should stay within. The program gave me 1200 calores to aim for. But my bmr is 1500. Isnt tht the minimum i need to eat.? Or I stay wih 1200.

Replies

• aarie27
    aarie27 Posts: 1
    Options
    Hi, 1500 Calories is what EVERYONE should stick too. If you want to loose weight Fitness Pal gives you 1200 Calories.

Hope this helps :)

Good luck
  • marthack
    marthack Posts: 9
    Options
    If you want to loose the weight stay within the 1200 cal. It's worked for me and I reached my goal.
  • cburke11
    cburke11 Posts: 4
    Options
    That seems like so little food but i quess if exercise more can eat more. Once i reach my goal can i go to 1500 to maintin? Thnx
  • wriglucy
    wriglucy Posts: 1,064 Member
    Options
    You need 3500 calories less per day than to lose 1 pound of weight. It also depends on your muscle mass and how much you have to lose. They put me at 1200, and I try to stick to it (but upped my thing to 1300). If your BMR is 1500, even if you eat that much, you should lose. That is the amount you need if you never got out of bed. So, anything that amount, or even a little less if you want, will let you lose.

Good luck!
  • angeljamin
    angeljamin Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    Your BMR is the amount of energy needed per day to keep the body functioning while at rest, so in order to lose weight you want your body to burn more than you take in.

Hope this helps :smile:
  • Superdupermom
    Options
    1200 is what MFP gives you because of your goal to lose weight each week based on your weight(mine is 1470), IF you would just like to maintain your weight eat 1500 calories. But remember you need to adjust your calories as MFP tells you when you exercise :) welcome to the site and good luck on your journey!
  • ckncj
    ckncj Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    You need 3500 calories less per day than to lose 1 pound of weight. It also depends on your muscle mass and how much you have to lose. They put me at 1200, and I try to stick to it (but upped my thing to 1300). If your BMR is 1500, even if you eat that much, you should lose. That is the amount you need if you never got out of bed. So, anything that amount, or even a little less if you want, will let you lose.

Good luck!

3500 CALORIES LESS PER WEEK**
  • EDesq
    EDesq Posts: 1,527 Member
    Options
    I am new and trying to figure out the calores i should stay within. The program gave me 1200 calores to aim for. But my bmr is 1500. Isnt tht the minimum i need to eat.? Or I stay wih 1200.

You may have gotten the 1200 depending how many pounds you said you want to lose per week, (BMR)1500-1200 is a 2100 calorie deficit per week, so you would lose about .5 lbs. per week.
  • sarah44254
    sarah44254 Posts: 3,078 Member
    Options
    Your BMR is different than the amount you need to eat to maintain.

You should go to home page, click goals, and view the top right (total daily expenditure)

That number is what you would eat if you were to stay the same weight. Take some number away from that (500 a day if you want to lose 1lb / week) and eat that. If it is less than 1200, ignore the smaller number and eat 1200.

Basically, follow the guide on this site! Eat as many calories as this site suggest, not less. Do some exercise to become fit, and also earn more calories to eat.