Weight Loss, Fitness and the Common Cold

Options
Anybody experiencing an effect on your body's immune system? I have lost 18 pounds since beginning of the year (12 since joining MFP), and am exercising regularly. My energy & stamina levels have greatly improved. All good things right? I have changed my diet and now regularly focus on lean proteins, good carbs, while significantly reducing sugars. Vegetable, fruits, and nuts are a part of my diet to get necessary vitamins. Here's the thing - I have had two colds and one bout of the flu since the first of the year, after not having the flu for the last ten years (no flu shots), and maybe only two or three colds in that same time frame. I can't even remember the last time I had a cold before I started my current nutrition and fitness program. Anybody see similar circumstances regarding your immune system since you embarked on a new nutrition and fitness regimen? HATE colds!! :frown

Replies

• paniolo5
    paniolo5 Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    I think I'm healthier now - I don't get sick at all anymore (I just jinxed myself, didn't I?).

I don't know where you do your workouts, but if it's in a public facility, you may be picking up viruses/germs there that your body isn't used to. Make sure you wipe down any machines, handles, etc. before using. Wash your hands often. The usual stuff. :smile:
  • akaMrsmojo
    akaMrsmojo Posts: 762 Member
    Options
    My acupuncturist told me that having a cold and flu is a sign your immune system is working properly. If it is weak it will not fight the virus and it will stay in your body.
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    Sorry to hear you had the flu - that is the worst!!

I always thought I must be getting all the necessary vitamins through food too but found out that I'm low on Vitamin D so now I'm trying to get into the habit of taking a multi vitamin every day.